General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

They Walked

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 09:33 PM
REALBOB
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's right TX Fast Rider, it was a no brainer that once again the media & a DA tried to turn the situation into a farce.
Many times I've stashed my carry when LEO's friends kept theirs in a bar. I've even asked on more than one occasion for an LEO to hold mine while we were at the bar. I never want to risk my carry rights/permit. Everybody that I know are aware of the federal laws that changed after 9/11. Even retired LEO's have the rights to carry now most places w/o a hassle; an extention of "uncle sam", I guess.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:28 PM
17L1
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
He should never have been charged. The SD DA thought state law against carrying in a bar superseded federal law. A first year law student should know better. And who was the misinformed ATF spokesperson that said HB-218 was not applicable?

Justice was served in this case. According to testimony, Detective Ron Smith was assaulted by one or more HA and shot one in self defense. As it should be, IMO.

Nothing against the HA but when one adult assaults another adult he/she is risking their life. Fighting is for kids, killing to protect yourself or another innocent person is for adults. I personally assume everyone that carries has that attitude, whether they have a permit or not. And if you carry and do not have that attitude, you better get it before you get hurt.

+1

Glad it worked out the right way.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:44 PM
bore
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
He should never have been charged. The SD DA thought state law against carrying in a bar superseded federal law. A first year law student should know better. And who was the misinformed ATF spokesperson that said HB-218 was not applicable?

Justice was served in this case. According to testimony, Detective Ron Smith was assaulted by one or more HA and shot one in self defense. As it should be, IMO.

Nothing against the HA but when one adult assaults another adult he/she is risking their life. Fighting is for kids, killing to protect yourself or another innocent person is for adults. I personally assume everyone that carries has that attitude, whether they have a permit or not. And if you carry and do not have that attitude, you better get it before you get hurt.
Actually fighting is for men. Only a coward would pull a gun on an unarmed man and shoot him twice. With complete disregard of who might be in the line of fire cause he was afraid for himself. And only a pig would get away with it.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:52 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bore
Actually fighting is for men. Only a coward would pull a gun on an unarmed man and shoot him twice. With complete disregard of who might be in the line of fire cause he was afraid for himself. And only a pig would get away with it.
+1, it has always been and will always be this way, cops are like us bikers they tend to cover one anothers backs, I would not be surprised if the shooter was never even giving a breathalizer to determine the amout of stupid that he was.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:22 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

no surprise

It seems like the judge ruled according to the law.

As for the law allowing off-duty, out-of-state cops to carry in a bar...that is one phuq'd law!

Old 11-18-2008, 05:58 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What a surprrise.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:06 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Here's the article from today's Rapid City paper.

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/arti...a194895385.txt

One of the IP members (the one from Colorado) is still being charged, as he was a firefighter, and not a policeman.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:27 AM
swordy
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

i dont get it, how can 1 guy shoot an other guy, and not get done for it cop or not? was the 1% armed as well? but slower on the draw! because im a brit & we dont carry guns in public, i cant understand anyone goin out for a ride & a few beers with a loaded gun? plain fcukin dumb!!!! this i carry & i aint affraid to use it attitude is just ******* tryin to be big in my eyes!!! did they get bullied at school or did there first bird chuck em for a man? dont get it. if the 1% had shoot the cop would he have walked? if he shoot back & killed the cop then what?

Old 11-18-2008, 07:38 AM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

You know what I don't understand, in the original story the IPs' were leaving because they knew trouble was coming. All headed for the door except for one of their brothers who had to use the can. They let him go without watching his back, knowing what was going on. Of course, as soon as one broke away from the group they attacked.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:39 AM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it seems to me that some news type had a chance to blow this way out there and did so. As a retired LEO I can carry in all 50 states.

Quick Reply: They Walked