General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camping gear for bikes

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008 | 07:43 PM
RKLeo
|
Road Master
Default Camping gear for bikes

I want to go camping on my bike over the holidays. Can anyone recommend a good tent that packs small? I am also putting together a list of everything else I will need.
Suggestions Welcome!!!

Here is the kicker....

Everything has to fit on the passenger seat

I am on a wide glide with no bags. My luggage rack will be stacked with my normal travel gear. The back seat is reserved for a tent and all other camping supplies I gather.

Old 11-16-2008 | 07:45 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

I used to just bring a sleeping bag. If you want a small tent, I'd suggest checking out any of the sporting goods stores that have a section for backpackers and climbers.

Old 11-16-2008 | 07:56 PM
cchips
Ultimate HDF Member

Eureka Solitaire 2. Available online. I bought mine at Bass Pro Shops. Weighs about 2 1/2 pounds. Easy set up. packs very small. it is what I use when I go back packing. Priced around $80.

Old 11-16-2008 | 08:07 PM
RockingMT
Advanced

Way to go , the best of two worlds! Check out Cabellas or REI They carry what I use for hunting and packing. What I use is a tent by Sierra Designs ( two man light weight ) Bag and pad is your choice. Cooking I use MSR titanium . My stove and fuel fit in my pot/cup. Stop the rattles by padding with instant coffee and cocco. Check out backpacking and get crazy!!!

Old 11-16-2008 | 08:11 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member

I load what I need in my internal frame pack and it sits on the passenger seat. Carries everything I need to camp and leaves my saddle bags for day stuff. Enjoy your trip!

Old 11-16-2008 | 08:26 PM
scoteh
Club Member

Here's a link to a site that says a little and has links to REI and Campmor. If you check nothing else out, go to the Fishbowl link, go down, and check out the Biker Chicks Pics.
http://www.cyclefish.com/motorcycle_camping.php

Old 11-16-2008 | 08:40 PM
Deepsouth251
Road Master

Originally Posted by TIDE
I want to go camping on my bike over the holidays. Can anyone recommend a good tent that packs small? I am also putting together a list of everything else I will need.
Suggestions Welcome!!!

Here is the kicker....

Everything has to fit on the passenger seat

I am on a wide glide with no bags. My luggage rack will be stacked with my normal travel gear. The back seat is reserved for a tent and all other camping supplies I gather.
Check out my Coleman Exponet backpack tent. The piece in the foreground is the rain protection, just didn't put it on for the pic. Also I posted a pic of the whole packed up tent next to a helmet so you can see how small. You probably don't have room for them but I add a good sleeping bag and a self inflating air mattress (also pictured) for real comfort.

Old 11-16-2008 | 10:00 PM
RKLeo
|
Road Master

Excellent suggestions, I think I could fit a tent, sleeping bag, and air mattress standing on the seat. I have lots of cargo nets and the pack on my luggage rack is tall.

Old 11-16-2008 | 10:04 PM
dFREDb
Club Member

Check out Aerostich.com. They have some neat compact camping gear/tents. A little pricey but they look great. I've always been satisfied with purchases from this company!

Old 11-16-2008 | 10:25 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member

I use all the same gear I use hiking, it fits on my bike pretty easy as all of it will fit in my pack to hike along with food, paper etc.

One question I would have is what type of temperature are you going to be camping in?

My personal choice is no tent, I do not need it. If it is going to be cold I use a bivy sack sort of like this, if not I just bring a tarp and set up a lean to.

I use a 20 degree bag as they are smaller and pack easier. If it is going to be colder than that I bring a sleeping bag liner. With that I am good to 0.

I also tend to wear underarmor as it is very easy to clean with just water. I also tend to use wool clothing in the winter or fall because it maintains its insulating properties even when wet (unlike cotton). Only other thing I can think of that comes in real handy is the outdoor version of wet ones. They are almost like wash rags but pack very small and do a good job cleaning.

That is it from me, I am not an expert on motorcycle camping so other probably could help more, but I use to do lots of winter hiking and camping. I love it.

Quick Reply: Camping gear for bikes