General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camping gear for bikes

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008 | 11:41 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member

And when all else fails, pack...

VISA

it's everywhere you want to be

Old 11-16-2008 | 11:53 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member

delete

Old 11-17-2008 | 12:20 AM
khyber
Road Captain
Default lightweight, easy to carry, about 6 lbs

Clark North American Hammock
A good 20 degree down bag
Thermarest inflatable pad
A good compression stuff sack.
Put the bag and hammock in the stuff sack and compress. The hammock can also be used as a 1 man tent in the event you have nothing to tie off on. If you add a closed cell pad, (another 2 lbs), you can sleep in the frozen winter wonderland.

Old 11-17-2008 | 12:46 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cchips
Eureka Solitaire 2. Available online. I bought mine at Bass Pro Shops. Weighs about 2 1/2 pounds. Easy set up. packs very small. it is what I use when I go back packing. Priced around $80.
Dang it ... now I gotta go and agree with a Red Raider.

Anyway, I've got a Solitaire as well and like it. Cchips is correct about the price. I think I paid around $70 on sale from Campmor ...

http://www.campmor.com

The only problem with the Solitaire, and other solo tents, is that there is limited room inside. I use the Solitaire when I'm on short trips (less than a week) and don't want to haul a lot of gear. A 2-man tent is a bit bigger but it provides you room inside for more gear.

I assume you won't be gone for more than a day or two, so you won't need a lot of extra gear. A solo tent (if you're by yourself) is perfect. Since you're in Florida I'm guessing the nights aren't getting too cold, so a sleeping bag is optional.

As for sleeping comfort, I prefer an inflatable mattress which means I take along a small 12v air pump. But I've got saddle bags so I put the pump in one of the saddle bags. I've used the self-inflatable mattresses as well, and for what you're trying to do that may be the better choice.

Bags will depend on the temperatures you're expecting and what type of enclosure you want. I'm not a big fan of the mummy bags simply because I don't like having my feet enclosed that tightly. A rectangle bag is usually preferred, and they don't take up that much more space. For really warm climates I'll take my air mat, twin fitted sheet, twin top sheet and fleece blanket. That all folds pretty tightly and takes more more room than a single sleeping bag.

Don't forget a little pillow. You can get a blow-up pillow at most camping stores as well. They deflate and pack easily. At night you'll appreciate having something other than a rock (or saddle bag) to put your noggin on.

Old 11-17-2008 | 01:31 AM
knc2121
Intermediate

I too have a Wide Glide and a bivy sack and inflatable pillow is what I use in the cooler months.

Old 11-17-2008 | 01:54 AM
Grimpy
Tourer

Originally Posted by khyber
Clark North American Hammock
A good 20 degree down bag
Thermarest inflatable pad
A good compression stuff sack.
Put the bag and hammock in the stuff sack and compress. The hammock can also be used as a 1 man tent in the event you have nothing to tie off on. If you add a closed cell pad, (another 2 lbs), you can sleep in the frozen winter wonderland.
Take khybers advice on this one,can't go wrong.
I have same equipment,no complaints whatsoever.
Include folding shovel for firepit,sterno,can-o-beans,flatbread....LIFE IS GOOD!

Old 11-17-2008 | 02:45 AM
trmac
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Just camped at a rally a couple days ago and used a cheap coleman tent that I've had for years with a foam mat (a mini chair is inside the rolled mat) and a couple compact blankets in the grantour bag with everything else. Was the first time camping with the bike and it turned out ok.

Attached Thumbnails Camping gear for bikes-adsc00062.jpg   Camping gear for bikes-adsc00064.jpg  
Old 11-17-2008 | 06:17 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member

I use a Eureka two-person tent that packs very small. I've taken camping trips on the Dyna, riding two-up, and I find room for the tent, two sleeping bags, and quite a bit of gear. If I plan on camping at any one location for more than a few days, I call the campground in advance and arrange to have UPS ship a large tent and other amenities that will make the stay more comfortable. Everything is there waiting for me when I get there, and when it's time to leave, I box it up, give one of the campground workers a few bucks, and have them ship it home for me.

Old 11-17-2008 | 06:36 AM
RKLeo
|
Road Master

Great Ideas, I am looking forward to this trip. BTW, I wont be roughing it too much. I am looking at camping in a KOA campground in the Keys.

Old 11-17-2008 | 07:35 AM
klap
Road Master

..cots are mo better than air mattresses..

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/St...utmk=169416354