General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Communication

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 04:17 PM
fedwa001
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Helmet Communication

Hey all. Just about 4 days left over here in Iraq and about 30 days for delivery of my new 09 FXDC. As I have stated in a few previous post I am new to HD's my first and only bike was a Buell. I have rode for about 6 years but most of my riding was solo. I made the move to HD Crusers cause I wanted to involve my wonderful wife of 12 years and show her what I love about riding. Anyway riding solo sport bikes we use hand signals I would like to make the move to helmet intercoms does anyone know anything about this. Do I have to have bunch of sloppy wires all over the place or are there good systems that are wireless. Im a pretty good wrench. What do yall use. And the bike I bought is a Dyna Super Glide Custom if that matters thanks gang.
Fred

Old 11-16-2008, 04:30 PM
Rebel Jon
Intermediate

Fred, Chatterbox makes lots of stuff for comms between rider and passenger as well as bike-to-bike. They have different models for 1/2, 3/4, and full-face helmet and offer really nice clarity and ease of use.

Get home safe and start putting the miles on the new bike!

Old 11-16-2008, 04:37 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,038 Likes on 7,310 Posts

Originally Posted by fedwa001
Hey all. Just about 4 days left over here in Iraq and about 30 days for delivery of my new 09 FXDC. As I have stated in a few previous post I am new to HD's my first and only bike was a Buell. I have rode for about 6 years but most of my riding was solo. I made the move to HD Crusers cause I wanted to involve my wonderful wife of 12 years and show her what I love about riding. Anyway riding solo sport bikes we use hand signals I would like to make the move to helmet intercoms does anyone know anything about this. Do I have to have bunch of sloppy wires all over the place or are there good systems that are wireless. Im a pretty good wrench. What do yall use. And the bike I bought is a Dyna Super Glide Custom if that matters thanks gang.
Fred
Fred,

First off thank you very much for your service to our country. Have a safe trip back home and enjoy that new bike. I would get some seat time in first and ecome very familiar with the bike before you start riding the wife.

On your question we had the same issue and bought a couple of blue tooth wireless units made by INTERPHONE. They have a bracket that sticks to the helment and the small unit snaps in place and there is a detachable mic boom and ear piece that connects to it. It is all very simple and very compact. The only complaint I have it that it only stays charged about five hours. They say much longer time but I think the wind keeps it activated and in a talk mode.

I just did a google search on wireless helment communications and found these.

This is all the information on the unit for reference.

INTERPHONE
R162-3
CE0678

Good luck

Dock

Old 11-16-2008, 04:42 PM
fedwa001
Cruiser

Hey Doc Thanks for the info... both on the solo seat time and the gear. I have actually have to re-enrolled in a riders course. I took one in 2002 but the Unit im in requires us to have one every 4 years. This time the unit is paying for it tho wooohooo.....

Old 11-16-2008, 07:54 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Safe trip home, welcome back, and thank you for your service.
Although a wireless set would be best, I've gotten very good service using Autocom. www.autocomamerica.com
I use the Easy-PLUS set. My wife puts the unit in her jacket pocket and plugs us in. Just a simple affordable unit powered by a single 9 volt battery but with exceptional sound quality. A decent unit I recommend if you don't want to go for your lungs.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:01 PM
abogiant
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
Fred,

First off thank you very much for your service to our country. Have a safe trip back home and enjoy that new bike. I would get some seat time in first and ecome very familiar with the bike before you start riding the wife.

On your question we had the same issue and bought a couple of blue tooth wireless units made by INTERPHONE. They have a bracket that sticks to the helment and the small unit snaps in place and there is a detachable mic boom and ear piece that connects to it. It is all very simple and very compact. The only complaint I have it that it only stays charged about five hours. They say much longer time but I think the wind keeps it activated and in a talk mode.

I just did a google search on wireless helment communications and found these.

This is all the information on the unit for reference.

INTERPHONE
R162-3
CE0678

Good luck

Dock
wife and i have this unit also.
blueant interphone and works good but like mentioned 4 to 5 hr charge.
abo

Old 11-16-2008, 08:19 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,038 Likes on 7,310 Posts

Originally Posted by Mac57
Safe trip home, welcome back, and thank you for your service.
Although a wireless set would be best, I've gotten very good service using Autocom. www.autocomamerica.com
I use the Easy-PLUS set. My wife puts the unit in her jacket pocket and plugs us in. Just a simple affordable unit powered by a single 9 volt battery but with exceptional sound quality. A decent unit I recommend if you don't want to go for your lungs.
That looks like a great system to me.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:23 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Whether rider-to-passenger (one bike) or rider-to-rider (two bikes) the Cardo Scala Rider Q2 is hard to beat, IMO.

It's just a bluetooth headset that allows you to use/answer your phone. 500m range, battery charge lasts practically forever. Light, real small in your helmet. You can talk at the same time (like a conversation, and unlike push-to-talk or VOX systems). Let me repeat: simple. It says it's water-resistant, but if your a GI, you can waterproof it easily (ex-Army myself). SOund is good, but not stereo. SO you can make it work with your iPod, but....

My wife and I ride our own bikes. This works for us. Perfectly.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:37 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

This summer my wife and I went with the Chatter box units on our fullface helmets.

Model XBI is wireless bluetooth. So you and use a cell and MP3. So far so well. On the the recomendation of the sales person I used the 1/2-3/4 mouth piece for better transmission just trim the phone.

Thanks for your service and God speed back to your wife and home.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:29 AM
IlDuce
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

sorry to butt in, is there a CB type blue tooth? dads got the tourer with the CB in it and it would be cool to talk to eachother while we are riding... is there such a product?

Quick Reply: Helmet Communication