General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty work with IED?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 12:33 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Warranty work with IED?

I put the 02 IED on my bone stock FLHT. runs better and much cooler. If I take it in for warranty work on something other then the injection, Say transmission, should I take off the IED,s before I take it in? Can the dealer deny warranty if the IED's are on even if it has nothing to do with the problem? anyone have any expeirance with this?

Old 11-16-2008, 01:05 PM
Romey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the XIED's on my bike, and if it needs to go in for anything they are coming off. Why give them a way out for not having to fix your bike. Just my opinion anyway.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Romey
Cruiser

Oh I just noticed your name. HonestBob. You have to leave yours on.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:33 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Romey
Oh I just noticed your name. HonestBob. You have to leave yours on.

Now that's funny I don't care who you are!

I also have the xied's and they sure as heck will come off if any warranty issues come up.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:38 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe Almost Honest Bob.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:28 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 895 Likes on 633 Posts

As easy as it is to remove or install them, I think I would just pop them off when taking the bike in for work.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:48 PM
rickoshay45
Road Master

It really depends on the dealer. I've have mine in for warranty issues and left my Fuelmoto/Rush Power Package on and they never said a word.

I did have an issue with the bike running rough, I put it back to stock except for the slipons to make sure it wasn't the PCIII. Turned out to be a bad wire on the rear injector. I left everything off this time until I got it home.

The guys at my dealer are very honest. They told me that the dealer really is the determining factor. I asked what adding a trailer hitch would do to my warranty, they said "According to Harley it will void your warranty, we say it doesn't and just don't tell the MOCO".

Old 11-16-2008, 03:49 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 519 Likes on 320 Posts

According to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, they can not deny warranty work just because you have an aftermarket part installed.

The exception to this is IF that aftermarket part caused the failure that you are trying to get covered under the warranty.

Ask your dealer though, as in most cases some dealers are much more apt to be picky about these things.

Details here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

Old 11-16-2008, 04:12 PM
codyshop
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RollaMo
According to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, they can not deny warranty work just because you have an aftermarket part installed.

The exception to this is IF that aftermarket part caused the failure that you are trying to get covered under the warranty.

Ask your dealer though, as in most cases some dealers are much more apt to be picky about these things.

Details here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act
Abso-frikkin-loutely, leave it on! If they raise a stink remind them that they are violating federal law. Even if it is an injection issue, the burden of proof is on the dealer to prove the XIED caused the problem. All dealers know this and depend on the customer to be ignorant of the Magnuson-Moss Act. Ray

Old 11-16-2008, 05:06 PM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Devils Advocate says , they cud come back and say you violated the law by installing the XIED , which alters the fuel , which alters the emissions , therefore you violated the law by altering the emissions ..

I wanna do the XIED and that is what I keep coming back to .. And there is the possibilty that the XIED will leave a "footprint" on the ECM saying something was changed ..

Quick Reply: Warranty work with IED?