General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First new Harley and what a buy

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 02:32 AM
N2VSW
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First new Harley and what a buy

I don't normally take the time to write about a good buying experience but this is an exception. I have been riding since I was 18. That would be 24 years now and have always had a metric bike. This was mainly due to the cost of buying a Harley and to some degree the stories you heard about concerning the reliability of the older bikes. First a little background...

I was in south Houston a few weeks or so ago and happened to find myself in front of Stubbs Harley. I thought what the heck. It was late morning on a wednesday and not a customer in the store. I had on an old pair of jeans and a t shirt when I walked in and spent a good 15 minutes looking at a few of the bikes. I know the 2 or 3 salesmen were aware I was there and not a one asked if I needed help. Ok I thought. Maybe they dont want to be pushy and are waiting for me to ask for help. So in walks a well dressed guy, I will refer to this person as a yuppie. Nothing against them but just to give you a mental image. Two salesmen were on him like a dirty diaper. Needless to say I left, guess I didnt look well off enough.

A few weeks later I am heading home and I am passing by the brand new Harley dealer that opened up in town, Kingwood Harley. The place was empty and a sales person was there shortly after I walked in to help me out. He was a nice guy and answered all my questions, never having owned a harley there were a lot of them. I was looking at the sportster when I walked in and before I knew it I found myself sitting on an Ultra Classic. They had an 08 that they were willing to work with me on the price. My special price today only price was $1000 off the MSRP. Then of course you had to add in the delivery and prep to the tune of $995. He kinda lost me there.

I'm not naive and know that a Harley sells for MSRP. I expected something off on the 08 because it was after all a "left over". I would have even been ok with the delivery fee. When I expressed some concern over the $700 setup as being a bit much he said that everyone has to pay it and there was no negotiating it. Ok fair enough, I thanked him and left.

Ok, youre asking where this is leading. The next day I'm in the Suzuki dealer up the road picking up an oil filter for my bike. I'm chatting with the parts guy about my previous encounter and of course he asks why a Harley. Truth be told the Ultra is more comfortable for riding with a passenger than anything the metrics have. There is a goldwing but those are just as expensive and you lose your *** after the first couple of years. To my utter amazement he tells me if I really want a Harley not to waste my time with the dealers in Houston. He tells me to go to Cowboy Harley in Beaumont. In fact he tells me to just call them and see what they can do for me. Hmm, I thought what the hell. I get home and give them a call. I get a salesman and we chat for a while, I tell him I am Harley ignorant but I liked the Ultra I sat on at the local dealer and would consider it if the price was right and of course I didnt get hosed on my trade. Well he happened to have an 08 Ultra in Black. I like black
sted. I tell him about my bike, the miles and condition and he said he would talk to his sales manager.

A couple of hours later he calls me back. Now I knew the trade in value of my bike was about $2600. I understand a dealer cant give you retail. He does after all have to sell that bike and make money. Well he tells me that he will take $1000 off the MSRP and waive the $1000 dollar delivery and setup fee. Then he says he will give me $4500 for my trade. Now you can play the numbers any way you want but I know he really wasnt giving me $4500 for my trade when it was only worth about $2600. First thing thats going through my mind is that when I drive the 2 hours out there they will find some reason to lower my trade. Ok sounds too good to be true but the girlfriend was up for a nice ride. Worst thing that happens is we come back.

I have to admit I was surprised. When we got there they had the bike parked out front surrounded by cones. We met the salesman who showed me the bike and explained all the features and the controls. Spent a good hour just showing me everything (remember, Harley ignorant) The whole time I'm thinking ok, when are you going to look at my trade and give me the "oh by the way", or the "you didnt mention the dead bug on the fender affects the trade in value" story. Well he never looked at my trade. Took us into the Finance office, they showed me the paperwork, sure enough the numbers were exactly what he told me over the phone.

By my estimation the 1k off the MSRP and the 2k he gave me over what my bike was really worth put me at 3 grand off the price of the bike. If you figure the thousand they would try to hit me for delivery and prep that was waived now had me saving $4000. They were the nicest people to deal with. They politely asked if I would be interested in an extended warranty and I said not at this time. They said okey dokey, if I changed my mind I could always get it later on. That was it. No high pressure sales, no paint protection or VIN etching scam, nothing nada. So I found myself riding away in a brand new Harley to my utter amazement. Equally amazed that it went so easy without having to haggle over the price. A price mind you that was completely negotiated over the phone without them ever laying eyes on my bike.

Sorry this was so long but sometimes you have to take the time to recognize a dealer or any business when they go above and beyond. I hope to have my Bike for a long time but if ever the day comes when I buy another Harley then Cowboy Harley of Beaumont will get my next purchase.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:21 AM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Nice...

Nice....now where's the pics???????

CN

Old 11-16-2008, 03:41 AM
murd
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cowboy Harley needs to get a testimonial from you. I had a similar experience at Trev Deeley in Vancouver, BC. Honest guys.

I walked in as a clueless wannabe with some cash and walked out as a clueless biker.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:55 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Great story! Now get riding!

Old 11-16-2008, 04:06 AM
05Hog
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's nice to see there are some dealers still willing to work to get a customer. With the economy changing, the ones that don't deliver good service may find themselves out of business.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:07 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Well a big congrats to you on your new and very first Harley-Davidson and welcome to the Forums. This is a great site and you'll learn a helluva lot about your bike and alot of other things here.

I got my first H-D (an E-G Classic) two years ago and logged almost 60,000 trouble-free miles on it before it got totalled last Monday (I got taken out by a hit and run driver who rear-ended me on the freeway). I'm waiting for a settlement check from the insurance company and will then be headed down to get another Electra Glide ASAP.

My E-G Classic was the most wonderful and reliable m/c you could ever ask for. It never failed me, started right up every single time on the first try and always got me from A to Z in style and comfort. I couldn't be more impressed with H-D and it's quality and reliability. I've had good experiences with their parts, accessories and service at the dealerships when I've taken my bike in for this or that maintenance.

Good luck with your new bike and ride safe!

Share some pics when you can too!

Old 11-16-2008, 06:15 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Congratulations. How about some pics?

Old 11-16-2008, 07:25 AM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like there are more then just a few happy HD owners here.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:00 AM
olddude48
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a great buying experience! I'm sure there are more HD dealers out there like that,but it seems that the comments on this forum are like the News,all you hear is the bad! Thanks for sharing some good! Enjoy your new ride and be safe!

Old 11-16-2008, 09:09 AM
krusr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Real nice story.

Now get out and ride.

Krusr

Quick Reply: First new Harley and what a buy