General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two close calls in one week

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008 | 07:59 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Two close calls in one week

Two very close calls in one week and the wife is now nervous about riding.

Saturday a week ago we took a 25 mile cruise in the back roads on our way to dinner. About mid way in the trip we came up to a flashing yellow caution light at an intersection. I was only running about 35 MPH when I noticed the car coming toward us on the right side that was supposed to stop looked as if he was not stopping. Sure enough he ran the stop sign and made a right turn right into our path forcing us to go left into the oncoming lane. Well he did not hit us but scared the you know what out of us and just my chance the car coming toward us was a state police car. He saw it all and pulled the guy over who was still talking on the cell phone. We turned around and went back and he asked us if we were okay and told us to get going that he saw it all and had it under control.

Well today one week later after having dinner with a couple in our HOG chapter we headed home again on the back roads because the wind was very heavy and I did not want to be on the interstate. We were heading east on a nice two lane hwy and the lane we were in was just paved and there was a nice drop off to the oncoming lane. The sun was VERY BRIGHT in the rear few mirror. We were going slightly down hill when a car with an elderly couple came around the curve at the bottom of the hill and and has oon as the bright sun hit their eyes they had no idea of where they were and came 100% into our lane headed straight for us. Because of a car behind them and because of the drop off in the center of the pavement I knew that going left was not an option. There was a small ditch to our right that was grass and it had been raining the night before and I knew the shoulder would be soft but there was no place to go. My wife was scared to death and I locked it down just enough to reduce our speed before I went off the road and the car missed us my six inches. The ground was much more firm then I had anticipated which was good and we drove right in the ditch and stopped without dropping the bike. It happened so fast that there was no time to think you simply had to react and were so blessed that I made a choice that did not get us hurt.

S.E.E.

Search
Evaluate
Execute

We call ourselves VERY safe riders but it is really starting to concern us that these close encounters are happening so frequently.

The main reason for this post is keep everyone thinking about what can happen and how fast and hopefully this might help someone else to avoid an accident.

Be safe and please stay 100% focused and expect the unexpected.

Last edited by Cosmic Razorback; 11-15-2008 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-15-2008 | 08:21 PM
Topspin
Road Warrior

Thanks... we all need a wake up call every now n' then.

But I read the first story 3 times and still don't get it.

Old 11-15-2008 | 08:21 PM
BugBYter
Tourer

Congratulations! You have already had your share of close calls. From now on everyone will get out of your way.

I wish it was that easy but you just have to stay alert and watch for idiots, especially idiots on cell phones.

Old 11-15-2008 | 08:47 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Topspin
Thanks... we all need a wake up call every now n' then.

But I read the first story 3 times and still don't get it.
I changed it to read better I hope. Bottom line is a car ran a stop sign and turned right just as we entered the intersection. Had he not turned right he would have struck us broad side on our left side. I was able to move left into on coming traffic to give him room and avoid an accident.

Old 11-15-2008 | 10:12 PM
haztaz
Ultimate HDF Member

Good thing you were on the look out. You can never be too carefull. Glad your ok.

Old 11-15-2008 | 11:38 PM
Technologist
Tourer

go out by yourself, have the third close call (they come in threes), and then take the wife for a ride...

I USED to have close calls EVERYDAY (I commute through a big city and several LARGE counties)... after a while, I realized I wasn't paying enough attention to what the idiot cagers could possibly do that would endanger me. NOW, it has been years since I had a close call (knock on wood and remember to pay attention)...90% of bike accidents are caused by CAGES... and 90% of them could have been avoided if the rider was paying attention (IMHO).

Old 11-16-2008 | 12:06 AM
jimmything
Stellar HDF Member

I think the country roads are way more dangerous than the interstates are, but I understand your situation with the wind.

Old 11-16-2008 | 12:21 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
I changed it to read better I hope. Bottom line is a car ran a stop sign and turned right just as we entered the intersection. Had he not turned right he would have struck us broad side on our left side. I was able to move left into on coming traffic to give him room and avoid an accident.
I'm just curious... You say you saw him coming, you didn't think he looked like he was going to stop, you were only going about 35 mph... why didn't you stop?

Old 11-16-2008 | 12:39 AM
bfreesun
Road Warrior

A useful reminder of how vulnerable we are on bikes. I went down without getting hurt a couple of months ago as a result of a moments inattention. I was lucky.There are 3 giys off the road with injuries in the group I ride with

Old 11-16-2008 | 01:09 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member

Good job, in both situations you saw what was coming and took action and peformed well.

When riding you just have to ASSUME these idiots are going to do the stupidest thing you can think of at the worst possible time. If you do this you'll never be caught off guard.

Quick Reply: Two close calls in one week