General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two close calls in one week

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008 | 11:00 AM
Technologist
Tourer

Originally Posted by oldairboater
I have heard of deer /motorcycle wrecks that were deadly to the rider. One of them was that Jerry Paladin[may be misspelled] who made riding videos to teach better riding skills.
If you are thinking of Jerry "Motorman" Palladino , he most definitely is not dead.

Old 11-17-2008 | 12:13 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

Thought I read it somewhere--deer and motorcycle wreck. My memory is not perfect but I know I read about someone that was involved in motorcycle safety dieing in a tragic critter accident. If its not him and I am mistaken ,good for him.
Originally Posted by Technologist
If you are thinking of Jerry "Motorman" Palladino , he most definitely is not dead.

Old 11-17-2008 | 02:16 PM
johnnyhonda
Banned

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
When bad **** happens, it always happens too quick. You obviously did well, as you didn't wreck, and you're here to share your experiences. I would say though, your original post and response here tell me you would do well to brush up and perfect your skills in identifying situations, and reacting quickly to them. Of course, that's true for all of us - we can always learn more and get better.

In the car running the stop sign situation, it seems to me you identified him as a potential problem while there was quite a bit of time. Maybe you lost a bit of reaction time in fighting with your brain, thinking he wasn't going to actually run the stop sign. If so, you can avoid that slow down by simply always assuming the worst. The next thing is, after you identified him, at 35 mph, you could have stopped in about 4 feet or so, right? If not - go to a parking lot and practice both stopping quickly, and emergency braking.

I wasn't there, so I'm not judging your choice of actions, nor am I ragging on you. Just offering some suggestions and ideas that may help you or someone else.

You gained some valuable experience, and I appreciate your sharing it with us so I can learn from it too.
I would think a HD Road Glide would take at least 35-40 feet to get stopped from 35 mph.
http://www.motorcyclesafetyinfo.com/...e_braking.html

Old 11-17-2008 | 02:19 PM
swordy
Big Kahuna HDF Member

oooooh you had better get one of them charm bells!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!