General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two close calls in one week

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008 | 02:56 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

I have been doing this off and on far a long time. Seen friends survive-seen friends die. I was listening to the police scanner at work while reading this and they just life flighted a lady. She struck a curb on her sportster in a parking lot. I would be willing to bet that she either was learning/practicing or was inattentive. Riding skills are developed and there are many tools for learning. This forum is a tool, class is a tool, experience is a tool, friends are tools. I still get surprised every once in awhile but it is not as often as when I was younger. I expect the other driver to try to kill me. I look ahead. I watch for critters. I slow down or cover all my brakes when approaching any intersection. I watch for the cell phone user. I aggressively maintain my safe cushion at redlights and stop signs. I do all of this and a million other things and don't even think about it while riding. It sounds like paranoia but it is just habit now. Recognize, react, correct, Analise, etc etc.

Last edited by oldairboater; 11-16-2008 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-16-2008 | 03:15 PM
P'colaHarley-17RGS
Ultimate HDF Member

Speaking of riding at night. I haven't had any incidents at night (knock on wood) but have wondered what it would be like if a critter strolled out in front of me? If it was a deer then hopefully I'd see it well ahead of time. But if it were a small critter and considering the headlight (at least the low beam) doesn't cast a very long beam... chances are I wouldn't see it until I was right up on it. Anyone experience something like this? If so, what happened?

Old 11-16-2008 | 04:19 PM
Harley43147
Tourer

Glad you and the wife are ok.
Yeah, as someone else said you've now had your share of close calls. We all have to be on guard though.
Just think though, if you were in a cage in the second incident, you probably would have been hit.
Anyway, again, glad you're ok!!!!!

Old 11-16-2008 | 04:27 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by oldairboater
Riding skills are developed and there are many tools for learning. This forum is a tool, class is a tool, experience is a tool, friends are tools. I still get surprised every once in awhile but it is not as often as when I was younger. I expect the other driver to try to kill me. I look ahead. I watch for critters. I slow down or cover all my brakes when approaching any intersection. I watch for the cell phone user. I aggressively maintain my safe cushion at redlights and stop signs. I do all of this and a million other things and don't even think about it while riding. It sounds like paranoia but it is just habit now. Recognize, react, correct, Analise, etc etc.
Very well said.

Old 11-16-2008 | 04:33 PM
amike
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
Two very close calls in one week and the wife is now nervous about riding.

Saturday a week ago we took a 25 mile cruise in the back roads on our way to dinner. About mid way in the trip we came up to a flashing yellow caution light at an intersection. I was only running about 35 MPH when I noticed the car coming toward us on the right side that was supposed to stop looked as if he was not stopping. Sure enough he ran the stop sign and made a right turn right into our path forcing us to go left into the oncoming lane. Well he did not hit us but scared the you know what out of us and just my chance the car coming toward us was a state police car. He saw it all and pulled the guy over who was still talking on the cell phone. We turned around and went back and he asked us if we were okay and told us to get going that he saw it all and had it under control.

Well today one week later after having dinner with a couple in our HOG chapter we headed home again on the back roads because the wind was very heavy and I did not want to be on the interstate. We were heading east on a nice two lane hwy and the lane we were in was just paved and there was a nice drop off to the oncoming lane. The sun was VERY BRIGHT in the rear few mirror. We were going slightly down hill when a car with an elderly couple came around the curve at the bottom of the hill and and has oon as the bright sun hit their eyes they had no idea of where they were and came 100% into our lane headed straight for us. Because of a car behind them and because of the drop off in the center of the pavement I knew that going left was not an option. There was a small ditch to our right that was grass and it had been raining the night before and I knew the shoulder would be soft but there was no place to go. My wife was scared to death and I locked it down just enough to reduce our speed before I went off the road and the car missed us my six inches. The ground was much more firm then I had anticipated which was good and we drove right in the ditch and stopped without dropping the bike. It happened so fast that there was no time to think you simply had to react and were so blessed that I made a choice that did not get us hurt.

S.E.E.

Search
Evaluate
Execute

We call ourselves VERY safe riders but it is really starting to concern us that these close encounters are happening so frequently.

The main reason for this post is keep everyone thinking about what can happen and how fast and hopefully this might help someone else to avoid an accident.

Be safe and please stay 100% focused and expect the unexpected.
Chase the mother f**kers down and beat'em to death! Have no tolerance for idiots who endanger my life.

Old 11-16-2008 | 05:08 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

Biggest thing I have ever hit is a dog. I was thirteen years old. Dog yelped all the way home and I pushed a bent motorcycle home. The last thing I have hit was a fast raccoon crossing a two lane rural highway. Went over him at about 65 mph. He crapped all over me and the bike. I was washing coon crap out of places I didn't know existed on a HD. One of my riding buddies center punched a big deer. He actually gutted it and went off of the road till he dropped the bike. Bike was totaled. A man and woman stopped to offer assistance and when he turned around to face them the lady passed out and fell. They called the ambulance for her--she struck her head. He was covered in deer guts and she thought they were his. I have heard of deer /motorcycle wrecks that were deadly to the rider. One of them was that Jerry Paladin[may be misspelled] who made riding videos to teach better riding skills.
Originally Posted by pensacolaharley
Speaking of riding at night. I haven't had any incidents at night (knock on wood) but have wondered what it would be like if a critter strolled out in front of me? If it was a deer then hopefully I'd see it well ahead of time. But if it were a small critter and considering the headlight (at least the low beam) doesn't cast a very long beam... chances are I wouldn't see it until I was right up on it. Anyone experience something like this? If so, what happened?

Old 11-16-2008 | 09:01 PM
mphamrick
Road Warrior

Glad to hear that everything went well, just don't force her to ride she will at her own time.

Old 11-16-2008 | 09:18 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
That is a very good question that I really do not have an answer for. It simply happened too quick and I'm still very thankful he turned right and did not come across.
When bad **** happens, it always happens too quick. You obviously did well, as you didn't wreck, and you're here to share your experiences. I would say though, your original post and response here tell me you would do well to brush up and perfect your skills in identifying situations, and reacting quickly to them. Of course, that's true for all of us - we can always learn more and get better.

In the car running the stop sign situation, it seems to me you identified him as a potential problem while there was quite a bit of time. Maybe you lost a bit of reaction time in fighting with your brain, thinking he wasn't going to actually run the stop sign. If so, you can avoid that slow down by simply always assuming the worst. The next thing is, after you identified him, at 35 mph, you could have stopped in about 4 feet or so, right? If not - go to a parking lot and practice both stopping quickly, and emergency braking.

I wasn't there, so I'm not judging your choice of actions, nor am I ragging on you. Just offering some suggestions and ideas that may help you or someone else.

You gained some valuable experience, and I appreciate your sharing it with us so I can learn from it too.

Old 11-16-2008 | 09:21 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Small critter? Avoid it if you can without doing anything too drastic. Otherwise, it's just a speed bump.

Old 11-17-2008 | 10:37 AM
d_slat
Road Warrior

this is why I always ride the back roads at night if i'm on the bike, not the interstate. I only ride about 40 mph at night, because the headlight doesn't light up the road very well. I would usually be on my way home from work, and in no real hurry, so if it takes me and extra 15 mins or half hour, so be it. better than not riding. I can't remember the exact statistics, but I read that most motorcycle incidents at night involve a rider that was outriding the headlight. Just food for thought...

Quick Reply: Two close calls in one week