General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two close calls in one week

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008 | 04:16 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member

You should always ride like your invisible. Many are too busy doing everything else but watching where there going!

Old 11-16-2008 | 10:55 AM
Roadie09
Road Warrior

Last Wednesday on my way to work I had two very, very close calls within 1 mile of each other. Needless to say for the first time I was more than ready to get off the bike when I got to work. People just don't watch, and as pointed out cell phones make the eyes of the user non-functional.

Old 11-16-2008 | 12:00 PM
P'colaHarley-17RGS
Ultimate HDF Member

Thank you very much for the reminder. And I'm glad that you were so vigilant and were able to avoid an incident that sounds like either could have been very tragic.

Good job... I hope I'm as fortunate.

I had 2 incidents in 1 day about 2 weeks ago but neither was as scarey as either of your incidents. The first was really more annoying than anything. I saw a car behind me change lanes and speed up to get in front of me and then 2 blocks later turn right! Are you kidding me! Can you say road rage? lol But like I said that was more annoying than anything.

Then less than 3 miles down the road I am sitting first at a light and when the light turns green I take off. Fortunately I wasn't going more than 25 mph and I see a car darting out of a parking lot and into my path. He was an elderly man and had a handicap sticker hanging from the mirror. Luckily he saw me in time and braked. I'm not sure if my reaction wasn't as fast as it should've been or maybe I just realized that I was at the point where if he didn't react then was probably nothing I was going to be able to do. But like I said... I wasn't going that fast and he braked just in time. Had he continued into my path or hit me, my thought is that the bike would've sustained the most damage. I don't think I would've been too badly hurt.

Old 11-16-2008 | 12:17 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member

I ALWAYS assume EVERY cager is out to get me. Even with all that, one ACTUALLY did once! I just hope for the best, and then do the best that I can to avoide them.

Old 11-16-2008 | 12:21 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

Its partly you. Anytime I start having close calls it is usually that I am not riding defensive enough. Remember basics of defensive driving. It might be their fault that they kill me , but I will still be dead wrong. This is not meant to be criticism but just a possible critique.

Old 11-16-2008 | 12:29 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
I'm just curious... You say you saw him coming, you didn't think he looked like he was going to stop, you were only going about 35 mph... why didn't you stop?
That is a very good question that I really do not have an answer for. It simply happened too quick and I'm still very thankful he turned right and did not come across.

Old 11-16-2008 | 12:41 PM
Cosmic Razorback
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by oldairboater
Its partly you. Anytime I start having close calls it is usually that I am not riding defensive enough. Remember basics of defensive driving. It might be their fault that they kill me , but I will still be dead wrong. This is not meant to be criticism but just a possible critique.
While I agree with your statement it is simply impossible to accept blame when someone runs a stop sign and when a car crosses the center line and comes completely in your lane of travel. I think we are alive and unhurt because I was alert and very defensive.

The key thing in my opinion is to stay 100% focused, expect the unexpected and always have a plan of action.

I am not the best rider in the world by no means but we are cautious and riding a motorcycle has made me a better driver when I'm in my car or truck. I just wish that everyone driving a car would think more about the bikes on the roads and more importantly allow enough time to arrive so they don't have to rush and STAY OFF THE CELL PHONES.

Thank you for your replies.

Old 11-16-2008 | 12:53 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

I have analyzed the same thing from my close calls I have had in the past. Argued your side as my own in the past to a friend. He pointed out that I was right. The other person was at fault but me not anticipating made me dead right. Since then on every close call I have asked myself what I could have done to avoid it. I am only responsible for my own actions----I can't dictate other drivers actions before the wreck. As far as your riding skills. I don't know who is the best---its not me. You will get better because you are already thinking about what ifs.
Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
While I agree with your statement it is simply impossible to accept blame when someone runs a stop sign and when a car crosses the center line and comes completely in your lane of travel. I think we are alive and unhurt because I was alert and very defensive.

The key thing in my opinion is to stay 100% focused, expect the unexpected and always have a plan of action.

I am not the best rider in the world by no means but we are cautious and riding a motorcycle has made me a better driver when I'm in my car or truck. I just wish that everyone driving a car would think more about the bikes on the roads and more importantly allow enough time to arrive so they don't have to rush and STAY OFF THE CELL PHONES.

Thank you for your replies.

Old 11-16-2008 | 02:28 PM
P'colaHarley-17RGS
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by oldairboater
Like Dock Holiday, I agree with you (for the most part) but I also think there are some circumstances where it's simply out of your control... where you've done everything right and the other driver is totally in the wrong.

In my 2nd incident, I knew what happened, the old man saw the traffic behind me but didn't see me until the last minute... and it was at the exact point where if I had reacted to what was happening I probably would've over-reacted (if that makes sense?). All I could do was take my hand off the throttle and slightly lean to the right. Anything other than that and I would've probably laid the bike down needlessly. I just continued on and shaking my head at the same time. By this time he ended up behind me and guess what? He too turned right just two blocks later. People in a hurry for no reason and it could easily cost someone their life.

Old 11-16-2008 | 02:36 PM
P'colaHarley-17RGS
Ultimate HDF Member

but I get your point now too... I can be right and still be dead.

because I'm still new to this maybe that's why I'm still extremely cautious. I actually hope that I never get so comfortable that I let my guard down.

I also hope that you all continue to ride safely.

My wife still points out mishaps that happen that involve cycles... well last Sunday I lost a friend in a car accident. Not sure of all the cicumstances surrounding the accident but it's believed that he may have been speeding to get to work and lost control and crashed into a tree (so he must not have been wearing a seatbelt?) We just don't know. The investigation should be final in the next few days and maybe we'll find out more. My point? Cars aren't necessarily the safest things either if the driver isn't careful.

again you all ride safe.

Quick Reply: Two close calls in one week