General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Negotiating price on a used bike!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 06:50 PM
Cakalac
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote=ken thompson;4119267] Your salesman must be pulling his hair out. You walk in there acting like you know all his tricks and you don't know squat. [quote]

Hold on a minute here partner before you start assuming I dont' know squat. That was pretty damn rude of you. That would be you friend. I have not negotiated yet on this bike, so he doesn't know anything. So for you to come here and assume my salesman is pulling his hair out and I think I know all his tricks is a false statement.

My plan is to ask him how can I get the best deal? Financing or Cash?He's already told me it's the same but I'll ask again. Then go from there. I don't plan on giving them 14K for the bike. If they wont' come down to what I want to pay, I walk out!

Last edited by Cakalac; 11-15-2008 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:38 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

The dealer's that say they make more on financing when I make a cash offer get an immediate BS from me. I tell them that they will sell one bike less this year because, if I don't buy, it is one less sale for them. Cash is king and you need to make me happy, I have no belief that I need to make them happy. A salesman/dealer is not my friend. I don't give 1 whit if I **** them off. I value paying the least amount of money possible.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:55 PM
Cakalac
Tourer

Originally Posted by lh4x4
The dealer's that say they make more on financing when I make a cash offer get an immediate BS from me. I tell them that they will sell one bike less this year because, if I don't buy, it is one less sale for them. Cash is king and you need to make me happy, I have no belief that I need to make them happy. A salesman/dealer is not my friend. I don't give 1 whit if I **** them off. I value paying the least amount of money possible.

Thank you and finally someone that agrees with me! Calling BS is my sales tactic just like they have theirs!

Old 11-16-2008, 07:26 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

when ever i buy a vehicle i insult them with my offer. then we start. cash is the only way to buy. why would anyone care how much the seller is going to make? the idea is to spend as little as possible. try to buy on the last day of the month too.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:55 AM
Cakalac
Tourer

I feel the same way. It's not up to me to make them happy it's the other way around. I am comfortable with the way I'm gonna handle it. I have a fellow that is going to call ahead of me that is friends with the salesman I am dealing with.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Crazy Biker
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're paying cash you'll get the best deal with a private sale.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:47 AM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My appologies. Poor choice of words.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:03 AM
guitarman777
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ranger56528
we payed cash for our 01 FLHTC back in Dec 2000,but we made 5 payments and it was winter, due to the fact that when you buy with large amount of cash you need to fill out paper work for the cash so they can make sure it isnt stolen and is legit...kind of a hassel.....the other option is to take the loan out make 2-3 payments then pay the loan off this also helps your credit....Just make sure there is no penilty for early pay off.this is what we did with the 06 Deluxe we made 6 payments then payed it off.
Man, if it's that frustrating to buy cash, I would totally prefer to do what you're suggesting here. But can they really hold a penalty for early payoff??? With rules & regulations like that, no wonder the economy is in deep doodoo.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:11 AM
humbuster
Tourer

Many folks try to purchase a bike and finance it, only to be turned down for not qualifying for financing.

If you have cash in hand, the seller knows the deal will go through. Cash is king.

It's not rocket science, especially in these economic times.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:10 AM
Dyflam
Cruiser

I financed through the dealer then paid off the loan with a low interest credit card. Lower monthly payments and less interest = goodness.

Quick Reply: Negotiating price on a used bike!