General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on buying a used bike from an individual far away

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 04:08 PM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Questions on buying a used bike from an individual far away

Has anyone bought a bike used form someone far away? I found a bike I'd like to buy. It's in Seattle, WA. I'm in Jax, FL. I don't really want to fly out there to look at it. What would you guys suggest as far as:

Finding someone local out there that is knowledgeable on bikes and offering to pay them to go look at it and give an opinion on condition. Would calling the one of the local HD dealers out there and getting one of the guys that work there to go out and look at it for $100 be beneficial? Any other ideas?

How would one go about paying for something like this and not be exposed to fraud or loss assuming I would be havi9ng the bike shipped and I don't plan to go out there in person.

Are there services available to facilitate a transaction like this?

Old 11-12-2008, 04:17 PM
HD Jake
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I sold my Ultra on Ebay.
I live in So Cal and the pperson that bought it lived in Conn
He contacted a local HD dealer out here and paid for them to do an inspection of the bike, that coupled with free web site full of photos i hosted, he was more than happy to wire me the money and send a truck to pick up the bike.

I am sure there are easier ways to do it, just sharing my experiance

Old 11-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Yes but I went and picked it up. There are many escrow companies that will act as an in between.

Bikes getting so cheap you just could stand it anymore right Ken? Good Luck!

Old 11-12-2008, 04:38 PM
Jon H
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ken: why not come out to Seattle?
Just because it's raining a little (2-5 inches today)
Hey, you can give your Fla tan a break.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:42 PM
ConnMan
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd find the closest HD dealer, and phone the service manager. Ask him if any of his techs wants to make a quick hundred bucks on the ride home, and have him put a set of eyes on the bike.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:03 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Some good advice so far, remember Ken the seller will have reservations about you as well, he doesn't know squat bout you he has to trust your intentions and your payment method that you and he will work out.

I bought my Harley long distance, but I was able to see it in person before I gave the final check over, get the mechanic as suggested to look at it or if we might have a HDF member in that area that knows bikes mechanically they might go look at it for you too.

For transport if you do end up buying it, if you're a HOG member they use to be pretty good on rate and service.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:14 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the local HD dealer in Bellevue, kind of a suburb of Seattle. I'm sure there is someone there that could help you.

http://eastsideharley.com/

Old 11-12-2008, 06:34 PM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ken thompson
Has anyone bought a bike used form someone far away? I found a bike I'd like to buy. It's in Seattle, WA. I'm in Jax, FL. I don't really want to fly out there to look at it. What would you guys suggest as far as:

Finding someone local out there that is knowledgeable on bikes and offering to pay them to go look at it and give an opinion on condition. Would calling the one of the local HD dealers out there and getting one of the guys that work there to go out and look at it for $100 be beneficial? Any other ideas?

How would one go about paying for something like this and not be exposed to fraud or loss assuming I would be havi9ng the bike shipped and I don't plan to go out there in person.

Are there services available to facilitate a transaction like this?

And you can find out what dealership he does his services with and such and request back work orders being as everything is computerized. Haul bikes will do it but it won't be cheap:

http://www.haulbikes.com/

Old 11-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I successfully bid on a Dyna 350 miles away on ebay a few years back. Before bidding, I tried to form some idea of the seller. Was his listing plausible? Did he answer questions in a forthcoming, nonevasive manner? Was the bike described and pictured fully? What were his evaluations from previous buyers? Did the background "neighborhood" in the pictures look like the kind of setting I would expect for someone I would want to do business with? Everything seemed in order so I bid.

When I found out I had won, I put up a $500 deposit by Paypal. We set up a meeting, discussed the terms of the transaction, and my wife drove me to his residence. I had a cashier's check with me for the balance. Upon arrival I briefly inspected and drove the bike, checked the title for liens, and checked the serial number against what was shown on his title. He examined my cashier's check. When we were both satisfied we did the deal and I drove it home.

It exceeded every expectation I had for it. The seller and I maintained a cordial long distance relationship for a couple of years afterwards. There are no guarantees in this kind of situation, but do your homework and trust your instincts and you will almost surely be OK.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:31 PM
hondaherb
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like John TN said, he will be just as afraid of you as you are of him. I sold a small Honda collectors bike on ebay to someone over 400 miles from me. I was as up-front with the buyer as I could be, he made his demands and I made mine. When he got to my house, he did the usual complaining about things wanting me to drop my price. I let him ride the bike and asked if he was satisfied with the ride. He was still pointing out a few flaws (the bike was over 30 years old). I told him that if he wanted the bike to pay me and if not to get in his truck and head back to Atlanta. He loaded the bike on his trailer and left. There are so many scams going on now that I'm scared to sell anything on line.

Quick Reply: Questions on buying a used bike from an individual far away