General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retail Price for a Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006 | 12:02 AM
danal
|
Stage II
Default Retail Price for a Harley?

Probably a question that has been kicked around a lot on these forums, but I am new so here goes.

Do you still have to pay the manufacturer's suggested retail price (or more) for a new harley or are some dealers starting to bargain a little?

I am looking to buy a new harley, probably a street glide, so I just want to know if I am wasting my time looking for the right deal. Also, the dealers seem to tack on a lot of other fees like prep, etc. Is that still just how it is?

I would be interested in the opinions and experiences of this forum. Thanks!

Old 04-06-2006 | 12:10 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Default RE: Retail Price for a Harley?

Welcome to the forum. Go to the new members area and introduce yourself. Just recently are dealers reducing prices below MSRP but not in early Spring. This is prime shopping time for bike sellers and buyers so the dealers who discounted in December & January are sticking to their guns now. I got my Low Rider in January for $1,000 under MSRP but that was a 1 time 3 hour sale on a Sunday. I was there a week ago and all the LowRiders are gone. So if you want a deal now you may have some difficulty. Good luck.

Old 04-06-2006 | 12:16 AM
Ironhand
Road Master

Just today paid MSRP on a '06 Ultra. I'm thinking it is not a bad price, not the best, but still not bad for this time of the year. Bike will be here tomorrow and then the shop gets it for some engine work.and i pick it up on wednesday

Old 04-06-2006 | 12:43 AM
BBDeluxe
Cruiser

My dealer says up front "We sell at MSRP, no haggling. But we will charge no labor on any mods or aftermarket parts you want to add that get done at the time of delivery." That no labor charge can be worth a lot if you add some real parts. They also offer 20% off on any gear, clothing, etc. if you buy the bike there.

Each dealer does it differently. Some will deal on sales price, but no break on parts or labor.

I would go with a dealer that has a good rep. regarding taking care of the customer.....and it about more than trying to save a couple hundred $, in my opinion.

Bones

Old 04-06-2006 | 02:48 AM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member

They sell so many bikes in these parts, they always go for MSRP. They just don't haggle because they know there's somebody coming in the door behind you who is willing to pay full price.

Old 04-06-2006 | 11:14 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior

MSRP is a bargain anywhere. there is a dealer here in alabama that still gets $2500 and up more on nearly everything they have on the floor. it's amazing how many people won't travel a bit to get MSRP. i sold bikes for years and the way to sell is not emphasize the price but the payment. get the payment affordable and they will buy. LOL.

Old 04-06-2006 | 11:16 AM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member

Very True
ORIGINAL: CraigC

They sell so many bikes in these parts, they always go for MSRP. They just don't haggle because they know there's somebody coming in the door behind you who is willing to pay full price.

Old 04-06-2006 | 12:18 PM
warthog
Advanced

When talking price you really need to consider all the fees the dealer is charging. Other than the fees that are going to third parties - the MOCO for freight, the state for tax/tag - any other fee is pure dealer profit being added on. So the dealers that "sell" graciously at MSRP and then charge you $1200 prep/docs/BS are really not selling at MSRP are they? Make sure you are comparing apples to apples and not getting sucked in with looking at monthly payments only.

From my experience around FL (and I talked to a lot of the HD dealers around here), most will sell at MSRP. A few still try the old market pricing BS but most just do MSRP and then screw you with a high fee. I had fees quoted ranging from $0 - $1400 with all the sales being "MSRP" - yeah right.

I had one dealer actually bring out the old "4 Square" from the used car lot days. That's where they start off with some EXTREMELY high price to shock you in the first box, then you put the price you're willing to pay in another. Let's just say their initial price was an insult - about $2k over MSRP and and additional $2k for dealers add ons that were worth a couple hundred. But I was able to work them down to less than MSRP until they tried to play bait and switch, so I walked.

Old 04-06-2006 | 04:52 PM
reefteach
Tourer

I paid MSRP plus $450 "dealer prep, license, etc." in June, but they called the MOCO and had them change the color and wheels and add fuel injection before production! Exactly what I wanted and worth the 4 week wait, and the price.
%25 percent off accesories for 30 days was included also. Definately barter for that stuff if you plan on Stage 1, helmet, pager alarm, or just extra chrome! They don't loose a dime on that!

Old 04-06-2006 | 04:59 PM
Redneck
Road Captain

I checked around with alot of dealers before I bought, and all were at MSRP or higher even if you were paying cash or credit.

Quick Reply: Retail Price for a Harley?