General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retail Price for a Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006 | 08:50 AM
Swamp Fox
Road Captain
Default RE: Retail Price for a Harley?

Oh...I forgot to mention something I keep in mind when buying autos....you don't need their business, but they do need yours. So keep the advantage.....walk if they won't give you a fair price.

Old 04-08-2006 | 09:03 AM
Sam
Elite HDF Member

Hey Danal,
I'm up in Canada, but I work for Harley, so some things are the same. First, Harley worldwide went through a bad spell a little while back (they bounced back, but still, the drop in sales changed their attitude). Bikes in a lot of States are selling below retail, but not by much.......if you get $500 off a stock bike, you've done well. If they want you to pay $2500 over invoice, go somewhere else, don't even consider it. If you're in a State that is extremely prosperous, it will show in the price you pay for your bike, so if you can go out of State, it may be worth it. I'll give you an example; Alberta is booming, because of oil & construction, the Harley dealers are getting $2000.00 over invoice,but if you were willing to go to Ontario and take the day (a looooong day) to ride the bike home, you'll get the bike at invoice (2 grand in your pocket, less travel expenses). In Eastern Canada, where things are tougher, you'll get below invoice). The things I'm telling you aren't trade secrets, just common knowledge, so I'm not giving away anything I shouldn't. I'll tell you this though, in all seriousness, the dealer is not getting rich off the mark-up price, there is not a huge profit in Harley's (or any brand for that matter), just like the auto industry, the profit is in parts and service.

Hope this helps, good luck

Old 04-08-2006 | 02:34 PM
sprintrps
Cruiser

Here in Northeast Arkansas we have only one dealer. I just got a '06 SuperGlide. MSRP + 275 freight + 150 setup. He does give 15% off any accessories and clothing at the time of purchase. I think it is important to support my local dealer.