General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retail Price for a Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006 | 05:01 PM
alazlo
Road Master
Default RE: Retail Price for a Harley?

I've mentioned this before... Anything that is dealer installed at the time of purchase gets the full two year warranty from Harley. Anything you put on it after you take delivery gets a 90 day warranty from the factory. It pays to put the big stuff on before you take delivery to get the two year warranty...

Old 04-06-2006 | 06:52 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member

danal,

You didn't say where you were from but, here in Wisconsin, it is very rare to pay more than MSRP for any model. I know from this forum that dealers in some areas of the country are still getting extra $$$ on certain models and I just heard from a friend who visited a dealer in Arizona that had Street Glides at $1500 over MSRP. It really depends on your location and the model more than anything, but more and more dealers are backing off on the exorbitant markups.

Old 04-06-2006 | 07:07 PM
Bull Shoals
Cruiser

Chicago Harley sells at MSRP and no fee's plus 20% off everything else you buy. Here in Missouri/ Arkansas the skys the limit, they wont deal much. Find your best deal, go there and make it a nice mini vacation. Kill two birds with one stone.

Old 04-06-2006 | 08:22 PM
slack
Road Captain

I paid MSRP last year but I know that some dealers will up the price a little. There are a few dealerships that I wont buy from unless I have no other choice and it happens to be life or death. It would do you alot of good to look around at different dealers (if that is possible in your area). If not call some of the closer ones and get a price.

Old 04-06-2006 | 08:40 PM
mrghos
Road Master

Here in Georgia, (around atlanta) they will deal. To me everything is negotiable. What you do is pick two dealerships you really like, go in there about every other week for 2 months, make a bunch of promises that you will be back, give them your number, let them call you a lot, BS on the phone with them, and ultimatley play both of them against each other. You have built a friendship and the lowest one wins. I am in my second month of toying with two dealerships and soon as I get home from traveling, I am going to see if my diabolical plan works...(evil laugh)

I will keep everyone posted...

Old 04-06-2006 | 08:52 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member

You should probably post what part of the country you are in since you surely will have Brothers and Sisters here who are close by and can steer you to the right dealer.

In any event forget about the MSRP and deal strictly from an OUT THE DOOR price. Dealers will cut a number here but add some $$$ there, so the OTD price is your one equalizing factor when shopping for your new scoot.

In the meantime check out : Stealers & Dealers for reviews of dealer experiences in your neck of the woods.

Welcome to the forum and happy hunting,

Primo

Old 04-06-2006 | 09:56 PM
rowdy
Cruiser

MSRP is the best you will do in most cases. You could probably get a good deal on a Honda. [sm=badidea.gif]

Old 04-08-2006 | 12:37 AM
SCS
Cruiser

When i bought my 06 Ultra, I paid cash for it. It cost $23,495.00 on the road. I offered $21,495.00 for the bike and the dealer told me he would take the 21,495 cash for the bike in a heart beat. the only problem was I couldnt get the bike until I gave him the remaining $2000.00. I did however get a free T Shirt, plus the dealer gave me 15% off any part or labor needed the day I bought the bike. But you guys are absolutely correct, the dealers know that they dont have to deal one bit, because in 2 minutes someone else will walk through the door and buy that bike at full price without question.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7570/91BB7A50341142B88EE38E13A5613A8B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-08-2006 | 01:55 AM
danal
|
Stage II

Thanks to all for the insights!

I have a number of dealers located around me in Utah, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming (all within a few hours drive). I sat down with one today and he would sell at MSRP plus frieght and tax (numbers right out of the harley brochure). He took off his dealer prep and threw in $200 of accessories. No other fees or anything applied. Didn't close the deal, but was surprised that it was that reasonable.

I will be traveling by a few other dealers in the next couple of weeks and will check with them. I am not expecting other dealers to beat that, but we will see.

Any other thoughts anyone has are great!

Old 04-08-2006 | 08:46 AM
Swamp Fox
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Primo
In any event forget about the MSRP and deal strictly from an OUT THE DOOR price. Dealers will cut a number here but add some $$$ there, so the OTD price is your one equalizing factor when shopping for your new scoot.
Primo
+1 on what Primo said. There are lots of ways for them to play with the numbers. To me, what I pay OTD is the final tally. Also, be willing to travel. I'm looking in South Carolina first, but if I can't find a good deal I will begin expanding my search area. If you're buying a new bike that should be easy...just call the dealer.

Quick Reply: Retail Price for a Harley?