General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit and Run - first crash - bike totalled

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 02:34 PM
SteveB FLH
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you're still with us AND hopefully the CHP will catch the sorry POS. But at least you have another day here and you will heal. Good Luck with ins. company.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:43 PM
meepers
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, Glad you walked away! Sounds like the first accident that I was in, When I had by CBR 600 I never wore safety gear unless it was cold or was going on a long ride. Happened to be cold the night I was out when some drunk bastard took me out on the 202 freeway, Had I not been wearing a leather jacket, gloves and a helmet, I would have been really bad off. That guy took off also. It was like 3am, I was wearing all black too.. Cept, no one stopped for me, and I had a broken ankle. The bike suffered some serious cosmetics and the back wheel was bent from where he hit me, but it got me home after the carbs cleared.

Really glad your not seriously injured, and dont let this keep you from your love of riding.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:44 PM
harleydude68
Road Master

Damn! What a story. I'm glad your ok man. Hope you feel better soon and back on a scoot with the wind in your face.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I want to thank all of you for the kind words and support. It's a great feeling to have my brothers here chime in with so much advise and support. This has been a very upsetting experience from the standpoint that I loved that bike and had no intention of replacing it anytime in the near future. I had many years of riding in mind for it but alas that will not be the case.

I'll be researching my options and looking for a new bike. Probably another E-G Classic as this has been the most wonderful and reliable bike one could ask for.

Insurance did say they cover replacement of my damaged gear so I plan on going with a Shoei X-11 FF helmet in Gloss White. A new pair of those Cortech jeans are definitely on the list also.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:57 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You are one lucky son of a gun. I don't know if you ride in that gear all of the time, but it obviously, literally saved your *** this time. Glad you are mostly okay. Sorry to hear about the road rash and the bike, but a big time dodge of the bullet, man. Congrats!

Old 11-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Mordrapheus
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Arizona, so happy that I am able to write you well wishes (aka that you are still with us)

I hear you on your pain of loosing your bike.

And many many many more thanks to you for sharing with us your experience with the riding gear that you were wearing. Definitely made up my mind about ordering myself a couple of those pair of jeans

Old 11-11-2008, 03:08 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Arizona
The Cortech DSX riding jeans are what really saved me alot of pain as the right buttock area of those jeans is GONE - badly tattered and worn right thru down to the leather panel. If it weren't for that leather panel my right buttock would have been hamburger.
Time to throw away my assless chaps.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:09 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hit and run is covered under uninsured motorist if you have that on your policy. See if you can collect some damages from your insurance company for pain and suffering. If they say no, get a written explanation why it isn't covered and then you may want to consult an attorney. It depends on what state you live in and how the policy coverage is written. In my opinion, you should be able to collect. And I'm glad you came out relatively unscathed.

Last edited by barjbar; 11-11-2008 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:24 PM
BigDaveOnBass
Cruiser

A piece of advice to everyone who rides on the interstate...

A lot of the interstates have what they call an Open Graded Friction Coarse layer of asphalt as a surface layer. (Most pavements are dense graded.) This is basically a layer of asphalt composed of coarse aggregate (1/2" to 3/4" sized) and polymerized asphalt cement. It's main function is to disperse storm water run off THROUGH the mat, thus improving traction and making reflective striping more visible in wet, night time driving conditions. If AZ went down on a dry OGFC type pavement, then his testimony on his riding gear needs to be taken twice as seriously, because what he was sliding on was akin to taking a ride on a cheese grater. OGFC is some nasty pavement to go down on. I've crashed at slower speeds on dense graded asphalt and got road rash through a sweat shirt and Levi's. If you ride daily on the interstate, I'd seriously look into acquiring the gear he was wearing, as it undoubtedly played a MAJOR factor in his survival and lack of more serious injuries. Denim wouldn't have held up to OGFC at 65 MPH. It would have shreaded fairly quickly.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:03 PM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy geez louise! What a experience (well written I might add, it had me leaning on every word). Glad you came out fairly okay. Too bad they didn't get the guy in the cage,SOB! Probably under some form of substance abuse or another. The bike, you can get/make another just like it and will come to like it as much as the other one. It sure sounds like its got to be totaled.

Last edited by badinfluence63; 11-11-2008 at 04:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Hit and Run - first crash - bike totalled