General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Tralier Or Not To Trailer, That Is The Question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 01:55 PM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default To Tralier Or Not To Trailer, That Is The Question.

I fail to see the reason to ask this question. Are we all so concerned about what everyone will think of us if we don't conform to some unwritten standard?

And who made up these standards? Someone that feels the need to make themselves somehow better than the guy next to them, at least in their own eyes.

Do what "you" need to do, don't ask for permission. When I see a bike trailered, I don't give it a thought. We all do for ourselves as we need to do. I've trailered when I wanted to and I've ridden when I wanted to. My own personal choices at the time that was appropriate for me.

Do what's right for you, and don't give it another thought.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:29 PM
CruzN
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trailer it !

I travel to Colorado every summer from Arkansas.
I can trailer the bike there and it's 13 1/2 hours.
If I road my bike it would be two long days. Adding the extra day going and coming back means I lose two days of riding in Colorado. Not to mention there is nothing to see across Kansas ( no offense ).

I have been told that die hard bikers never trailer !
I've never really cared what others think, I do what is best for me.

Those two extra days in the mountains is worth it to me !

Old 11-11-2008, 05:45 PM
Korbenw7p3c
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default it's up to the individual...

...and as for me, when going a very long distance, I trailer. A serious accident work related has prohibited me from riding more that 300 miles. I live to ride as they say and it's the only way I can endure the pains and go to somewhere that we've never been.

My neighbor that has an Ultra also, yells "trailer queen" when we take off, but he's just kidding as he also was injured in a work site accident.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:51 PM
WEEZ
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Ride it!

My vote is to ride it! I agree with all who say it's your choice. I've done both, the memories come from the journey not the destination. I rode 900 miles last Friday solo. Tired, thirsty and hungry at the end and had a blast! Rode 1000 miles the next two days, never a dull moment!

Old 11-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Big L
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 162 Likes on 129 Posts

If I'm going some place solo I ride!
If the wife wants to go or if she wants to vacation with her bike we trailer!
I want my wife to enjoy my passion although she does'nt at times feel the same. So when the equation = her we trailer...

Old 11-11-2008, 09:25 PM
Deepsouth251
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rig below has enabled my wife and I to enjoy two of our favorite pastimes, RVing and riding the bike, we never stay in a hotel anymore except on a short 2-3 day trip. It allows us to continue to enjoy our time together even with her health issues. So trailering has become a large segment of our biking life also.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:56 AM
Dispatch
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 531 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Hog Yild
I fail to see the reason to ask this question.

Do what "you" need to do, don't ask for permission. .
Well, this is a forum and its whole purpose is to post and hear what others know, feel, experience etc. I'm not asking anybody for permission for anything. Nor do I care if anyone has a comment to say about me personally because of a trailer. I am say, playing Devil's Advocate for a post subject. Yes, I am considering a possible purchase of a triple bike trailer. I just haven't decided if or what model I will go for. I have had trailers in the past and found them to add tremendously to the enjoyment of a long distance trip. I have not ridden more than a hundred miles on a trip. Harley seats and my *** don't get along for very long. I as well as others here like to hear the pros and cons of a particular subject. Hearing different experiences is what this place is all about.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:17 AM
kwoozn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I moved out of Mommys house at 17 at that point I stopped asking permission on what I could or couldn't do!
Married 31 plus years, we discuss what we want to do.
Outsiders have no vote in my/our decision.
In short...falk what others think is right or wrong!
I pay my own way in life.
Like Sinatra and Elvis said "I'll do it my way!"

Old 11-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Baffler1
that is why you need a helmet with a full face shield!!!!
C'mon guys...fat chicks are fun until your friends find out!

Old 11-12-2008, 12:05 PM
abate1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in east Texas and do Sturgis every other year, have ridden and have trailered. It's YOUR choice. Here is what happened last year on the trip one of the bikes broke while in Sturgis, now Harley is great at getting to you if you are "on the road" but at a huge rally there are 100's of thousands of folks on the road. So it would be 4 days before they could look at it, local shops were no better. He rented a u-haul and went home. Sad thing is we all have 2 bikes so if we had trailered there would have been spares and his trip would not have been a bust. It's all about choices so make your own.

Quick Reply: To Tralier Or Not To Trailer, That Is The Question.