General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Tralier Or Not To Trailer, That Is The Question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 11:35 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Having a bike on a trailer is like making love to a fat women.

You don't mind doing it, you just don't want anybody to see you.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:39 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,264 Likes on 7,397 Posts

I love to ride and the wife loves to ride however she is NOT a long distance rider. I have done almost 550 miles in one day and it was hard. The wife has riden with me almost 300 miles in one day and she was wore out and did not want any more.

So we bought a small 20 foot toy hauler with living quarters that is easy to trailer, very comfortable for two people and keeps the bike safe and out fo the weather. We can drive in any weather to get to our destination, don't have to spend a fortune on hotels, have everything with us we need and can ride the bike all we want to in the areas we visit.

I think it is the best of all worlds and works very well for us.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:40 AM
rokdoctor
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a feeling of pride that comes over me as I ride into my destination after several days of hard riding. Thus the only trailer my bikes will ever be on is the one towing them to a repair shop.

But to each his own. Just don't be the guy that trailers all the way to the Sturgis city limits, switches to the touring bike, and then rides into town like he's a bad-a**. Nobody respects him.

-RokDoctor

Old 11-11-2008, 11:59 AM
hammerhead32158
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love to ride. I also like to enjoy riding. If "I" want to trailer my ride, then so be it. You should "always" do what is right for "you". It doesn't ever matter what other people think. Just ride and be safe doing it.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:05 PM
JohnnyBoy
Road Captain

When my point of origin begins in my area (Los Angeles) and I'm riding with my buds to Vegas, Laughlin, Central California, etc. I will ride. When my point of origin is not here, say Phonix where my brother-in-law and his bike are, I will trailer my bike to him and we'll take off to Northern Arizona, Grand Canyon, Mexico from there. So to me, it depends on the point of orgin. I don't care what people think and you should not either.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:12 PM
jsimo7
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Last February we trailered our Ultra from Cleve Ohio in the snow, slush and temps about 10 ,to Hilton Head, stayed there 2 days and rode around Savannah and Charleston. We left the trailer there and went on for 6 days to Florida and had a great time. We got back to the trailer, loaded the bike and went back to Ohio, to snow, slush, salt and very cold temps. We are planning to do it again this Feb. (different destanation) I loved this trip, my wife loved it. We felt like we got a extra 10 days and 1500 miles of riding last year because of the trailer. It is the only way I can ride in Jan or Feb from Ohio because I won't ride when the roads are covered with salt. My thoughts are trailers are great for this type of trip. It worked great for us!!

Old 11-11-2008, 12:32 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

I live in northern Illinois where we have a relatively short riding season. For this reason I never trailer my bike.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Tileman
Advanced

If your trying to decide on whether to buy a trailer or not, don't worry what other people think. Ask yourself if you would use it or not. I have a trailer and have both a touring bike and a hot rod softail. The trailer is nice if your destination is the only point for the trip. It makes getting there and back a whole lot easier, more comfortable, and less of an event to be planned for. But if the trip there and back is the point, you wont need the trailer. I have taken plenty of long trips on the touring bike and didn't use the trailer. But I have also visited my buddy who lives 2.5 hrs away and it was nice to take the hot rod in the trailer and bar hop with him around town when I got there. The trailer is also handy for taking bikes in for repairs or services. You don't have to line up somone to take you there and then follow you home. Used it more than I thought I would for taking bikes in for repairs and picking up broken down bikes for friends. Bottom line is the trailer is only a device that makes your trip or experience more enjoyable for those that want it. Its not a statement of who you are. If someone on a touring bike makes fun of you for using a trailer to make a long trip, what do they say when someone from the softail forum makes fun of them for needing a bagger with a fairing, full windshield, and a radio to make the same trip to sturgis they made on a Deuce?

Old 11-11-2008, 12:58 PM
TMART
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been riding to destinations while my wife pulls the pop-up camper with the truck.We are going to buy a toy hauler in April.We love to use R.V's,just don't make any sense to buy fuel for 2 vehicles that are going to the same place.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:03 PM
Baffler1
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Ain't this the truth

Originally Posted by harley-jones
having a bike on a trailer is like making love to a fat women.

You don't mind doing it, you just don't want anybody to see you.
that is why you need a helmet with a full face shield!!!!

Quick Reply: To Tralier Or Not To Trailer, That Is The Question.