General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Tralier Or Not To Trailer, That Is The Question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 11:50 AM
Dispatch
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 531 Likes on 273 Posts

These trailer companies always try to rip you by over charging for the so called "extras". Tie downs and the spare that should come with the trailer, regardless. Any way they can rip you off they do, it never fails.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:41 PM
n4toc
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SikRyd
I used my trailer once to go to a show out in MN, from ND in September when the weather REALLY sucked.
Sure it was nice to have the trailer, but I will admit it just wasn't the same pulling the bike from the trailer, riding around, then putting it in the trailer at night for safe keeping. It just didn't feel like I was on a "bike' trip. More of a tow and ride. I learned then, that it is GREAT to have for bad weather, but for me it changes the whole dynamics and no longer is it a bike trip. I haven't done it since then, and really don't mind riding in bad weather as long as I am prepared - rain suit and the best gloves you can get your hands in.
For me, the journey is the trip. The rally or show is only an excuse to go there. Its the trip there and back where 90% of my memories are made.
I'm with you. It's nice to have trailer if you need it, but to me, the memories comes from the journey. It's not about the destination, it's about the journey.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:30 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Tow and ride, fly and ride or ride there no problem. It does not diminish the riding at the destination.

I have been to Sturgis 6 times and towed once. I will begin towing all the time in 09. Darn, I-90 was getting boring. But, two of the last three years, I have lost a new tent to big storms at Sturgis. 4 years ago, I froze when the temp got into the lower 20's.

From now on the toy hauler with heat and air will be my home during Sturgis. And, I can carry a couple of bikes to enjoy.