General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One Piece Riding Suits-Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 08:01 PM
dFREDb
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default One Piece Riding Suits-Opinions?

Because of the price, it will be a long time to even consider a one-piece riding suit like the Aerostich Roadcrafter, but it looks very attractive for all weather riding and crash protection. I don't know about it's rain and cold weather protection capabilities, but for close to $800.00 bucks it better be good! Does anyone have long term experience with these suits? They appear to be high quality and have a very practical, no nonsense style and color options so you don't look like a Hollywood superhero riding a cartoon batman cycle. I would like the suit in gray with charcoal ballistics-it looks more like a professional mechanic's work suit. I know this is a long post, but I would greatly appreciate any input as this looks like equipment that could last for many years rather than buying jackets, pants, heated gear, thermal undergarments, light and heavy cold weather gear, rain suits (goretex or other material) and on and on and on. Just trying to SIMPLIFY my wardrobe here. Thanks for any help or suggestions!!!

Old 11-09-2008, 08:14 PM
johnnyhonda
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Aerostitch Roadcrafter is pretty much the benchmark in the IBA and sport touring world. I don't own one, but have many friends that swear by them. Olympia now makes a similar one piece that is about half the price of the 'stitch. I've never heard anyone that owns a Roadcrafter ever say that it was not worth the price.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:19 PM
max56
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a gray Roadcrafter with black ballistics and it's a great suit. I've had it for probably eight years. It definitely gives you a feeling of being protected from weather and going down. Never put it to the test with a crash, but those that have seem to vouch for them. I live in a relatively mild climate so I'm not sure about how warm it would be in a colder area. Might still need an electric vest.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:23 PM
2deuce
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At my age, I'm thinkin', "how fast can you go to the bathroom wearing a 1 piece suit"?

Old 11-09-2008, 08:26 PM
max56
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 2deuce
At my age, I'm thinkin', "how fast can you go to the bathroom wearing a 1 piece suit"?
Actually, they come off pretty fast.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:31 PM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior

check out olympia motorsports. They make a suit called the phantom that is totally rainproof and has given the market a lower cost alternative to the stich. I have a stich and couldn't get it to fit right so I bought a phantom and am very pleased with it.Their hiviz colors are very bright as well.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:08 PM
crock
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Roadcrafter one piece suit is pretty good, I have one. I also have a Motoport two piece suit that I like a little better. When I bought the one piece Roadcrafter I thought that the one piece suit was better for crash protection and would be more waterproof. It turns out that the two piece suits are just as good for protection, and are actually drier in the rain. The Roadcrafter suit is popular in the IBR because you can go through different climates without changing. The Motoport is a kevlar mesh suit with a liner. The mesh is just like sitting in the shade of a tree when the weather is hot, and with the liners installed the suit is dry and warm enough to wear without electric heat until 40 degrees or so. The problem with the Roadcrafter is that temperatures over 85 degrees are a uncomfortable and over 100 degrees is really tough. If you want a good place to check on people's suit opinions, try advrider.com equipment section. They compare all the suits in detail in the various threads. The Roadcrafter suit is available in a two piece suit as the Darien. I vote for Motoport as my favorite suit. I can also personally vouch for the Motoport's crash worthiness. When I was rolling down the asphalt after a spill I remember thinking "WOW, this really IS like landing on pillows!" I assume that the Roadcrafter would be as good.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:17 PM
jbphoto
Road Warrior

From what I've read so far in this thread, the new generation one piece suits are Waaaay better than the one I had in the mid 70's. I don't recall the brand but I can tell you that it was difficult to put on and even more difficult to get off. 2deuce, you wouldn't have liked it a bit! Neither did I and I wasn't old at the time. Since then I've used 2 piece suits and feel more comfortable in them. As I said, though, I haven't tried any of the new one piece and at my age I think I'll stick to the two piece for reasons that can remain unsaid.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:19 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts

The Roadcrafter is a nice suit. I have two, one piece Roadcrafters and a Darian Jacket with pants. I had an accident in my first Roadcrafter and the cager's insurance bought me another one. I sent the damaged one back and they repaired it for a reasonable charge. BTW my new R1100GS was totaled yet I just received a deep bruise, no cuts or broken bones.
Here's my take FWIW. The one piece Roadcrafter is more comfortable, cooler in the summer, and easier to put on and off than the two piece Roadcrafter (when wearing both pieces). For sizing I advise getting one size larger than their chart recommends. In the summer it'll fit looser allowing more air to circulate, and in cool weather there's more room for layers. (Plus there's room to grow!)
When it gets much over 85, being able to remove the pants is a big advantage. The two piece pants are pretty bulky. They *may* be able to fit in an empty saddlebag. The two piece is a little more water resistant in a long heavy rain due to the one piece's zipper in your crotch area. The Roadcrafter's are really in their element in temps under 85 or when riding in and out of rain and drizzle.
The Darian is usually my choice for extended rides where I may be in widely varied weather and luggage space is at a premium. With the pants it serves as my cool weather, and rain suit. The pants are padded but will fold up to about 10"x10"x6" thick, much smaller than the Roadcrafter pants.
If it's likely the temps won't go much over 85 I use the one piece because it's more comfortable, and offers a little better protection.
Here I am "styling" in my old, grey one piece Roadcrafter

Old 11-09-2008, 10:20 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

I have a FirstGear one piece riding suit from Motosports. I think list is $150. It is waterproof and quite warm with just a sweatshirt down to about 35. I ride an Ultra, so I have pretty good wind protection.

this suit zips way up the leg and velcroed storm flaps. Nehru collar seals out the wind around the neck. Google Firstgear and check it out.

Quick Reply: One Piece Riding Suits-Opinions?