General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bike problemo. Vid included

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 03:31 AM
roadkill0000
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bike problemo. Vid included

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGcKWJ29Y74

basically. 1 exhaust is burning hot just idling, other is cold... I can feel the exhaust coming out of both pipes thou. Also, after 2-5 seconds of throttle it coughs and dies. It sounds like only one piston is active, the idle also sounds low to me. I have yet to sync both carbs, not sure if this would do fix everything.

what do u guys think? thx for the help.

Last edited by roadkill0000; 11-09-2008 at 03:33 AM.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:35 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You have a 'dead hole'. Causes:
Could be a stuck shut float on that carb.
Could be a bad plug in that hole.
Could be a bad plug wire.
Could be a plugged fuel line to that carb.
To indeed verify it is 'dead', fire it up, pull that back plug wire, and listen for a change in RPM. My guess, w/o being there, NO CHANGE.
Even if you had a prob in that cylinder, valve, rings, compression, you'd still be generating 'some' heat.
I HAVE NOT wrenched on these, so not sure, but my ol' Honda had dual points/ignition. If one set goes South, fire in only one hole. If you have a dual ign set up, could be a bad coil also.
Near impossible to diagnose w/o hands on. Good luck.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:21 AM
Big P
Cruiser

sounds basic but try switching plugs around after the front is warm used to work on a snowmobile I had that did the same thing putting the hot plug in the cold cylinder would get it firing and putting the cold plug in the hot cylinder wouled usually unfowl it.End result new plugs. Hope its that simple for you and gets you back on road cheaply.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:14 PM
roadkill0000
Cruiser
Talking

makes sense. i made another vid, checked out what happens if I play w/ the rear carb. U can hear in the vid that it doesnt accelerate, instead making a low hissing noise or somethin. The front will accelerate and the pipes going to it are very hot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ6MGjJWwec <-new vid, listen for noise when I open up the rear carb

I am also able to start the bike without the choke in the cold. this model shouldnt be able to do that so that means that its too rich. besides that it also hasnt been sync'd, which u already know.

thanks for the help

Old 11-09-2008, 09:19 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dead cyl. Start with basics fire, compression, fuel and timing. The order listed is how I was taught. I don't pull plugs on hot jugs till they cool off. Read your plug first.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:40 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I had an inline 4 cylinder Honda that did that, two cylinders run and two were dead, it ended up being one of the two coils was bad. Although I doubt that is your problem, I would start wif the plugs and wires

Old 11-09-2008, 11:19 PM
learfxr
Tourer

My friend had a older Sporty that was a kick start and was hard to start. A local Harley guy back home saw him trying to start it and gave us some great advice. When it was running you could put your hand behind each pipe and only one was putting out hot exhaust gasses. He told us how to adjust the valves. We did a proper valve adjustment and it ran great. I guess the pushrods on the forward cylinder had loosened and had the valves stuck open.

Do a compression test. It's really easy and the gauge is not expensive.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:03 AM
roadkill0000
Cruiser

will do. odly I feel air coming out of both exhausts. im gonna try the compression, i think that should be ok thou. if theres anything else let me know.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:32 AM
Rugar
Tourer

Originally Posted by roadkill0000
will do. odly I feel air coming out of both exhausts. im gonna try the compression, i think that should be ok thou. if theres anything else let me know.
You will feel air from that dead hole. Even if its not firing. Its still pulling air/fuel in the intake valves, and blowing it out the exhaust. All a engine is is a air compressor. It has to be firing the fuel/air mixture in that dead hole to make power/heat/energy.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:33 AM
learfxr
Tourer

You will still feel air pumping from the exhaust if the valves are staying open, just not building compression needed for proper running. The air will feel much cooler since it's not burning the fuel mix.

Start with the basics. Make sure it's building compression. If the numbers match on both cylinders then move to checking spark. There is a simple tool that is a large alligator clamp that you clamp to a metal part of the bike and attach the plug wire to it. You will get a noticeable spark when working properly. Then move to fuel. Every engine requires certain things to run, some engines are just more difficult than others. It needs compression, fuel-air mix, spark. Then of course things like timing can jack with ya also. Don't know how old your bike is, or the parts on it, but bad plug wires can cause poor running at low rpm and with a load and then run good down the highway. Had a car that I worked on for days before I realized the wires were to blame.

Hope my rambling will help. I'm no bike mechanic, but I understand a few things about vehicles. I'm a business jet mechanic and always working on my own junk.

For what it's worth, I got the Harley service manual for my bike and I think its a well written book and seems to cover everything. If they have a book for your bike I would go pick one up. It will help with tune up info like setting pushrods, carbs and ignition

Just watched your vids. Thought you were working on a Harley. I don't think the Suzuki's use pushrods on too many of thier bikes, so they are prob an overhead cam motor. Not too sure about anything on the motor without getting my hands on it or a book. You def have a dead cylinder. Any time you have a cold pipe it's a dead cylinder, just have to figure out why.

Check compression and spark then get back to us

Last edited by learfxr; 11-10-2008 at 01:42 AM.

Quick Reply: bike problemo. Vid included