General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bike problemo. Vid included

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 12:04 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Also the cheap way to check your valves is to put a dollar bill up to the exhaust, if it blows it out the valves (exhaust) are OK, if it sucks it in that is where the problems begin.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:50 PM
aggro_jo
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

clogged main jet. Idle circuit is fine, but main is clogged on the rear carb.

just another possibility......

Old 11-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by learfxr
My friend had a older Sporty that was a kick start and was hard to start. A local Harley guy back home saw him trying to start it and gave us some great advice. When it was running you could put your hand behind each pipe and only one was putting out hot exhaust gasses. He told us how to adjust the valves. We did a proper valve adjustment and it ran great. I guess the pushrods on the forward cylinder had loosened and had the valves stuck open.

Do a compression test. It's really easy and the gauge is not expensive.
I'll go with 'not opening' or 'partially opening', but NOT stuck open. When they loosen, it is the same as if they are too short. TOO TIGHT will hold the valve open (off the seat).

IF the rear is 'cold', it ain't firing. AFTER you run the comp. test, get one of these. They are 'cheap', and really all a backyarder needs to check the spark. Qwik and to the point. If it will 'spark' with this, you have spark.

If you have the 'guts', while it is running on only one cylinder, hold a lighter to the rear exhaust. IF you are getting fuel (which I still believe you aren't), you'll KNOW it real fast. It will act like a flame thrower. The non-burnt AF mixture will ignite with the lighter.