General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a loud pipes ticket today on the way to work

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 10:20 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by overhead
Exhaust code sections are in VA law, all it takes is an officer with something against bikes or idiots riding around rev'in where they shouldn't be.
Yep, anything but stock exhaust or equivelent is illegal in Virginia under state law.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...+cod+46.2-1049

That is state law. Then, you have to get into all of the local noise ordinances. They can be more restrictive on noise and have way bigger fines.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Devil Dog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too bad

It's too bad some of you think the officer was a "dick" or should "look the other way". How is he a "dick" for giving Chris a repair order? He could easily have cited him. Maybe that was the officers way of telling him he did not agree with the law either. And why should he ignore violations and "look the other way". That's not what he's paid to do and all of you that wish he would do that would probably be the first ones to jump his a** when you found out he was not doing his job that you pay your taxes for him to do. Chris "manned" up and said he deserved the repair orders. And just so you all know, I have been a sheriff's deputy for 15 years. I write a whole lot more repair orders and warnings than I do tickets. I feel if I got my point across then I did my job. Don't mean to sound angry but I never understood when you get caught doing something that's a violation how that becomes my fault. Thanks for listening, have a great weekend!

Old 11-09-2008, 11:58 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Devil Dog
It's too bad some of you think the officer was a "dick" or should "look the other way". How is he a "dick" for giving Chris a repair order? He could easily have cited him. Maybe that was the officers way of telling him he did not agree with the law either. And why should he ignore violations and "look the other way". That's not what he's paid to do and all of you that wish he would do that would probably be the first ones to jump his a** when you found out he was not doing his job that you pay your taxes for him to do. Chris "manned" up and said he deserved the repair orders. And just so you all know, I have been a sheriff's deputy for 15 years. I write a whole lot more repair orders and warnings than I do tickets. I feel if I got my point across then I did my job. Don't mean to sound angry but I never understood when you get caught doing something that's a violation how that becomes my fault. Thanks for listening, have a great weekend!
+1 Well said!

Old 11-09-2008, 06:56 PM
powaypete
Road Master

+1 Agree 100%. If you 'looked away' on your job, would your boss be happy? That's what I thought.

PS - Even Aircraft Carriers are called boats.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:10 PM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Coast Guard
Received 17,586 Likes on 5,093 Posts

PS...Carriers are carriers, ships are ships and boats are on ships

Old 11-16-2008, 09:00 PM
bsea
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
Yep, anything but stock exhaust or equivelent is illegal in Virginia under state law.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...+cod+46.2-1049

That is state law. Then, you have to get into all of the local noise ordinances. They can be more restrictive on noise and have way bigger fines.
Thanks, learn something new everyday. Never seen it enforced, I suppose, but informed is well armed.

Bill

Old 11-16-2008, 09:14 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

its easy , Cop could have looked the other way but he didn't...hence " DICK " bigger things going on to worry about besides a guy minding his own business tooling down the road.

if you ride on two wheels and write tickets to bikers...yep , fill in the blank

Old 11-16-2008, 09:27 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zukeeper

......if you ride on two wheels and write tickets to bikers...yep , fill in the blank
......if you ride on two wheels and write tickets to bikers then like it or not you're doing the job you were paid to do. Zu????? Slumming????

Old 11-16-2008, 09:42 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by zukeeper
its easy , Cop could have looked the other way but he didn't...hence " DICK " bigger things going on to worry about besides a guy minding his own business tooling down the road.

if you ride on two wheels and write tickets to bikers...yep , fill in the blank
Man I can't believe this post is still going. Bottom line it's the Law in the great Golden State of California.

But it's the Dicks with the loud pipes,rude F'd up additudes and spastics throttle hands that screwed it up for everybody. Not the cops sworn and paid to do his job. I have no problem with this but I sure hope he is ticketing his sworn brothers that are breaking the law also.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:58 PM
dadio
Advanced

Mans doin his job, if you aren't man enough to handle it, tough cry me a river. People **** and moan about cops doing what they're paid to do all the time. And if they don't do their job its the same thing. If you want to do something about it get involved with politics and get it changed and stop whining!

Quick Reply: Got a loud pipes ticket today on the way to work