General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a loud pipes ticket today on the way to work

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 01:18 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

another of the hundreds of reasons to use U-Haul as soon as you can.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:16 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't mind loud pipe laws. Some pipes are just way too loud.

I just think the current laws are too restrictive. Stock pipes just aren't loud enough. Has to be a happy medium somewhere so we don't all become "criminals".

Old 11-08-2008, 05:38 PM
laz
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 9,633 Likes on 3,439 Posts

San Diego--one of the main landing sites for the Mexican invasion. Glad to see they have time to worry about important things like loud pipes while our country is being taken over.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:40 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by laz263
San Diego--one of the main landing sites for the Mexican invasion. Glad to see they have time to worry about important things like loud pipes while our country is being taken over.
I guess I should have take Spanish in high school instead of German. Oh well.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:23 PM
papadop88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by laz263
+1 Brotha, you and I would get along great.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:34 PM
haztaz
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cops here just wave. I know a lot of them and most of them ride with loud pipes.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:52 PM
bsea
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by papadop88
+1...what a joke. Ahhnold said we have a revenue problem, not a spending problem...hahaha. Riiiiiight.

He wrote the ticket because the higher ups said they need money. If CA's economy was kickin a$$, he would have looked the other way on the pipes.
It's a fix it ticket, no money for California. Must be a different motive, like...the pipes were loud and he's doing his job. That's why I left California in a hurry. Entirely too much Big Brother going on. Won't find this BS going on in Northern Virginia. At least not yet anyway.

Bill

Old 11-08-2008, 07:07 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by rydermike
Thats fine and all , but without an actual decibel reading by a qualified officer , where's the hard beyond a doubt proof?
Please people quit using the decibal meter for probable cause. This is focking stupid. The pipes are loud, they are not oem period. theres his probable cause. I have family in law enforcement and a son wanting to go in chp. The word I heard is a bike cop and any hiway patrol only does traffic, 99.9% of the time if you get pulled over, you are getting cited.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:38 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bagman1
Please people quit using the decibal meter for probable cause. This is focking stupid. The pipes are loud, they are not oem period. theres his probable cause. I have family in law enforcement and a son wanting to go in chp. The word I heard is a bike cop and any hiway patrol only does traffic, 99.9% of the time if you get pulled over, you are getting cited.

Well first off, if you have family in law enforcement, then you should know that exhaust pipes are not required to be OEM, but they must meet Federal emissions and noise standards, so after market is just fine as long as they meet those requirements, second, in the state of CA, those pipes must also meet CARB requirements. So my pipes not being OEM has nothing to do with the ticket. Second of all, the cop that pulled me over was not a CHP officer, he was a San Diego PD officer who was riding on the 8 outside of El Cajon, I don't even know if he had jurisdiction but I could care less cause it was a fix it ticket.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:18 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bagman1
All depends, one dept I know of in my area, New Hope PA, uses decibel meters. They write you a ticket under a local noise ordinance. Friend of mine pulled into a parking spot there and shut his bike off. Cop came up and told him to start his bike up. He refused and the cop had to walk away w/o pc for his ticket.

I've read that other places will write you if you don't have an epa stamp on the underside of your pipes. Far as I know only OEM have the stamp. Talked to V&H on the phone this past summer, they said they have epa compliant pipes in the works.

Quick Reply: Got a loud pipes ticket today on the way to work