General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a loud pipes ticket today on the way to work

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 08:21 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
For all you guys that think that the cop should be doing something else, looking the other way, or whatever. I can most likely tell you why he did what he did.....Citizen complaints.....His higher ups phones have been ringing with somebody on the other end complaining about loud motorcycles. Then, he got told to enforce the laws, and most likely told he had to use "zero tolerance"....No warnings given.
Sounds more like a get your numbers up ticket to me. Two bs tickets on one stop. But we can guess at a cops motive for giving us a ticket till the cows come home. Fact is we'll never know why.

Maybe he caught a biker with loud pipes banging his wife.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:23 PM
big_al
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go after criminals not loud pipes, are you kidding me?

Old 11-07-2008, 08:31 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddha4
my question regardining the "turn signals" is if they are not required since arm signals could be used how do they have a requirement for 9" of seperation? I also have the integrated turn signals in the tail light and am running a LSR exhaust and every day wind up iddling next to a LEO on my way to/from work. never had an issue.
He cited section 24951(b) which only says that

Any vehicle may be equipped with a lamp-type turn signal system capable of clearly indicating any intention to turn either to the right or to the left.

The following vehicles shall be equipped with a lamp-type turn signal system meeting the requirements of this chapter

(4) Motorcycles manufactured and first registered on or after January 1, 1973

This says nothing about separation between signals. all it says is that they have to be clearly seen, but it doesn't say from how far away.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:34 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
Sounds more like a get your numbers up ticket to me. Two bs tickets on one stop.
Could be. Either way, it sounds like he cut the guy some slack by writing "fix it" tickets instead of traffic violations. Looks to me like the guy was just doing the job he is paid to do. Somebody has gotta do it.

The following users liked this post:
DuciDay (08-30-2024)
Old 11-07-2008, 09:32 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
Could be. Either way, it sounds like he cut the guy some slack by writing "fix it" tickets instead of traffic violations. Looks to me like the guy was just doing the job he is paid to do. Somebody has gotta do it.
One way of looking at it. We don't have fix it tickets in NJ so I don't know the difference in fines vs having to remove an expensive aftermarket exhaust system.

If somebody "has to" write tickets for loud exhausts, seems alot of cops aren't doing their jobs. Here in NJ at least it's quite rare to find a Harley that has street legal pipes on it and also rare to hear of anyone getting a ticket for it.

Fortunately, at least for now most police here have higher priorities. Hope it stays that way

Old 11-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Chris that sucks... I ride through El Cajon every day on I-8 also. Never been stopped yet but my pipes are barely above stock in sound level. Not sure what your's sound like but I guess they got his attention.

Swap for some quieter slip-ons to get the ticket signed off and later you can change them again, but always have a set of stock pipes handy for just such things.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:06 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
Bwahaha Stop by the exchnage, and wrangle up yourself a set of Dolphins to paste on your back fender, AIN'T NOBODY gonna fk with ya then, buds.
I thought everyone messed with the bubbleheads. Isn't the saying something like "A sub is the only Navy vessel that leaves with 200 men and returns with 100 couples"?

Old 11-08-2008, 01:53 AM
rydermike
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scg1953
He got his ticket for excessive noise, not for modified exhaust. In other words TOO LOUD.
Oakland PD has" LOUDER than Stock pipes " but I seriously doubt they are as loud as his. You gotta admit some guys bikes are too loud. I'd bet that if we asked him he would probably confirm that he is either running short baffels or none at all.
Thats fine and all , but without an actual decibel reading by a qualified officer , where's the hard beyond a doubt proof?

Old 11-08-2008, 11:54 AM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Update:

I talked to a Sheriff buddy of mine and he told me that San Diego PD is cracking down on loud pipes all over. Told me that a few of the guys he works with (also Sheriff's) got tickets too. Hopefully this wont be an on going problem, other wise Ill have to get some legal pipes, and that's no fun.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sonar_chris
He cited section which only says that

Any vehicle may be equipped with a lamp-type turn signal system capable of clearly indicating any intention to turn either to the right or to the left.

The following vehicles shall be equipped with a lamp-type turn signal system meeting the requirements of this chapter

(4) Motorcycles manufactured and first registered on or after January 1, 1973

This says nothing about separation between signals. all it says is that they have to be clearly seen, but it doesn't say from how far away.
I came up with the distance ? based on your original post "I pulled over and wrote me for CVC 27150(a) no or inefective mufflers (correctable) and CVC 24951(b) Turn signals not being 9" appart (I bought an intigrated tail light and ditched the OEM signals). "

If you're not sure how from what distance they have to be visible then how can you "fix it" If you're signal is to the "Left" or "Right" of the actual tailight that would be an indication of the direction. You need to get a "no s**t" decision from gthe DA's office so you don't get another "fix it" for the same "violation".

Last edited by Buddha4; 11-08-2008 at 01:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Got a loud pipes ticket today on the way to work