General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a loud pipes ticket today on the way to work

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 03:53 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,691 Likes on 22,720 Posts

Ya just shoulda knocked his azz out and left.....
Thata served him right.. Fok stick...
Shoulda told him to get a life....Chump...

Old 11-07-2008, 04:05 PM
aggro_jo
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scg1953
I'd bet that if we asked him he would probably confirm that he is either running short baffels or none at all.
I already did. didn't get an answer though.....

The following users liked this post:
DuciDay (08-29-2024)
Old 11-07-2008, 04:18 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Im running the standard Vance & Hines baffels that came with the pipes, which are V&H true duals for a softail. The baffels themselves are about 12" long. They are not modified in any way (may get quiet baffels now even though they arent that quiet but the wife doesnt know that). I was traveling on the freeway at 70mph at 0615 with lots of traffic. I wasnt being stupid, cracking or reving the throttle, just wasnt my day.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:18 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Curious SonarChris, what are plans for "fixing" the problem. Putting stock exhaust back on?

Seems petty to me. Should be spending their time on accident causing violations, not equipment.

Edit: missed your previous post. See you're going to put quiet baffles on.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:31 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

For all you guys that think that the cop should be doing something else, looking the other way, or whatever. I can most likely tell you why he did what he did.....Citizen complaints.....His higher ups phones have been ringing with somebody on the other end complaining about loud motorcycles. Then, he got told to enforce the laws, and most likely told he had to use "zero tolerance"....No warnings given.

DuciDay (08-29-2024)
Old 11-07-2008, 05:07 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

SHHHH ... (whispering quietly)

Hey, Chris, I know that LEO, he is a former sub sailor, and he obviously STILL has it in for skimmerz.

Bwahaha Stop by the exchnage, and wrangle up yourself a set of Dolphins to paste on your back fender, AIN'T NOBODY gonna fk with ya then, buds.

See, these even say "SILENT" on 'em. That should convince the guy you are indeed serious about keeping it within da law.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:14 PM
scg1953
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sonar_chris
Im running the standard Vance & Hines baffels that came with the pipes, which are V&H true duals for a softail. The baffels themselves are about 12" long. They are not modified in any way (may get quiet baffels now even though they arent that quiet but the wife doesnt know that). I was traveling on the freeway at 70mph at 0615 with lots of traffic. I wasnt being stupid, cracking or reving the throttle, just wasnt my day.
Well that answers my question. I guess they were just too loud for him. Being that you were on the freeway, most likely it was a CHP (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), not local guys. Local PD'S, DO have more to do than just give out equipment citations unless they are just looking for a reason to stop you.
Sorry for doubting you, but there are a few I would cite if I could.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:17 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
SHHHH ... (whispering quietly)

Hey, Chris, I know that LEO, he is a former sub sailor, and he obviously STILL has it in for skimmerz.

Bwahaha Stop by the exchnage, and wrangle up yourself a set of Dolphins to paste on your back fender, AIN'T NOBODY gonna fk with ya then, buds.

See, these even say "SILENT" on 'em. That should convince the guy you are indeed serious about keeping it within da law.
Nah... This is beter

Old 11-07-2008, 05:28 PM
goombah
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
For all you guys that think that the cop should be doing something else, looking the other way, or whatever. I can most likely tell you why he did what he did.....Citizen complaints.....His higher ups phones have been ringing with somebody on the other end complaining about loud motorcycles. Then, he got told to enforce the laws, and most likely told he had to use "zero tolerance"....No warnings given.
Very good point. And he could have just written you a ticket instead of the warning. Good way for him to show the higher ups he is complying with their orders without being too harsh on you, and you get a fix-it instead of a fine.

DuciDay (08-29-2024)
Old 11-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by sonar_chris
Nah... This is beter

DOH, now I get it, like this??????

Quick Reply: Got a loud pipes ticket today on the way to work