General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a loud pipes ticket today on the way to work

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 11:21 PM
BeeRAD56
Road Warrior
Received 463 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by BlockHead96
Not unless his ears are calibrated. Then they would have to keep records on that..
Maybe he was Robo cop!

Old 09-17-2010, 05:36 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My trip to work goes by the city police department and ends right outside my department commissioner's window - I changed my pipes from straight drag pipes to stock just for the ride to work.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:46 AM
stevent
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
Doesn't he need to use a decibel meter to determine if your pipes are too loud?
Not necessarily, since it is and has been a federal violation to tamper with vehicle exhaust he can use the argument that the pipes were tampered with.

Also, a dirty little trick they used to pull on us back in the day was to write a ticket for an equipment violation. You either pay up or you take a day off work, show up in court and argue your case. Even if you win you still lost a day of work and had to sit in the court house all day.

The next time the cop saw you he'd write another ticket for something else and the game starts over, either pay up or loose another day off work for a court hearing.....They can go on like that for a long time believe me, you're screwed either way.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:54 AM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Ya just shoulda knocked his azz out and left.....
Thata served him right.. Fok stick...
Shoulda told him to get a life....Chump...
really assault a COP over a fix it ticket. youre a dumb ***. dont like cops call a crack ***** next time some gang banger is breaking into your house...

what a moron!

Old 09-17-2010, 11:26 AM
HDBagger93
Cruiser

Big boy toys cost big $$$ from time to time. The law is the law, get it changed. There is a process to that someone else did it to restrict the noise levels.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:13 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by stevent
Not necessarily, since it is and has been a federal violation to tamper with vehicle exhaust he can use the argument that the pipes were tampered with.

Also, a dirty little trick they used to pull on us back in the day was to write a ticket for an equipment violation. You either pay up or you take a day off work, show up in court and argue your case. Even if you win you still lost a day of work and had to sit in the court house all day.

The next time the cop saw you he'd write another ticket for something else and the game starts over, either pay up or loose another day off work for a court hearing.....They can go on like that for a long time believe me, you're screwed either way.

Around here one time people were complaining about the noise from all the bikes by the local bar and riding roads on the weekends. So bikes were getting written up for non dot skid lids, I saw 3 people come in the dealer that weekend and buying legal helmets and bitching about their tickets.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:36 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

The NoiseOFF web site is just a bunch of people trying to control other people. When they get the motorcycles with quite pipes they will go to something else. If you noticed they even complained about police sirens. The below quote is the one that cooks my cookies the most from their web site.

"This bike run event promises to donate fifty-percent (50%) of collected monies to a children's hospital". They also promise to "end the summer with the loudest pipes in the area".

They made SURE to stress 50% in number and in words will be given to the hospital.

I take offense to that. They must have had to look hard to find or they invented the crap 50% part. I have never heard nor seen any motorcycle charity ride take any of the money that would be donated to a needy organization. The same PIGS on that web site most likely are so self obsorbed that they do not donate anything to needy organizations.

Motorcycle riders I know, met, or have ever heard of are the most giving group of people on the planet. Really pisses me off.

An old rule of thumb a old biker taught me. When you leave a tip always leave 1 1/2 or 2 times what you normally would if you were in your car. Why I asked. Because we are not understood, liked, or appreciated. Back in the old days we were not wanted in dinners. Money talks and they will want you there more so than the car drivers if you act right and tip well.

Ok I am off my rant but I have not effections for such a bias group.