General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a loud pipes ticket today on the way to work

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 12:22 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aviator
wonder if that applies to out-of-state bikes too? I'll be spending the week of Thanksgiving in Spring Valley and I'm sure we'll ride into El Cajon at least once to go by the dealer.
Hey let me know when your over in El Cajon, Ill take a trip over there and meet up with you.

It does suck about the ticket, but hey thats life, I broke the law and I got caught. The good thing though is they are fix it tickets. I dont blame the cop at all, even though he could have looked the other way, he was just doing his job. I just whish he was doing it somewhere else.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:24 PM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in northeast pa, They dont bother you unless your that one jacka$$ that has to rev the hell out of it in town.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Toolguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sonar_chris
I dont blame the cop at all, even though he could have looked the other way, he was just doing his job. I just wish he was doing it somewhere else.
I blame him. Why couldn't he look the other way. Especially a M/C cop. Where I'm from guys never get a break. They say they can't look the other way but that's bullchit. If you're a uniform (cop, fire, ambulance, etc) or a chick you almost always get let go. I hate that crap. Double standard and unfair.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:14 PM
rydermike
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd asked him what he thought of the Oakland CA cops changing to louder pipes for safety reasons.Now I'd contact my state representatives with same deal , law needs to be changed , afterall if a law enforcement organazation can run louder than stock pipes , it should be sale for public , especially since they DID cite safety as the reason why they did it.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:51 PM
loudguy_w_louderpipe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a bummer.
Im sure while you were pulled over all kinds of idiots were flying by.

If you were driving crazy I could see getting pulled over for that & then the rest piled on.
Sounds like another power trippin LEO with an EGO that needed fed.

Did the guy look like Ponch off CHiPs?

I like my loud pipes!!!
I sure hope Obama doesn't take Loud Pipes away from us!!
Long Live Loud Pipes!!

Old 11-07-2008, 01:57 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Had a M/C pull up beside me at a light this summer, I was nervous but we ended up having a quick chat about bikes and rode a few blocks together and no problem, all depends on the cop I guess.
I kept my OEM mufflers just in case though.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Lures
Road Warrior

Don't ya love California!

Old 11-07-2008, 02:44 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,715 Likes on 22,721 Posts

So how ya gonna fix your exhaust then?

Old 11-07-2008, 03:17 PM
bbissell
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by rydermike
I'd asked him what he thought of the Oakland CA cops changing to louder pipes for safety reasons.Now I'd contact my state representatives with same deal , law needs to be changed , afterall if a law enforcement organazation can run louder than stock pipes , it should be sale for public , especially since they DID cite safety as the reason why they did it.
good point!

Old 11-07-2008, 03:46 PM
scg1953
Tourer

Originally Posted by rydermike
He got his ticket for excessive noise, not for modified exhaust. In other words TOO LOUD.
Oakland PD has" LOUDER than Stock pipes " but I seriously doubt they are as loud as his. You gotta admit some guys bikes are too loud. I'd bet that if we asked him he would probably confirm that he is either running short baffels or none at all.

Quick Reply: Got a loud pipes ticket today on the way to work