General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a loud pipes ticket today on the way to work

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 05:10 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,036 Likes on 17,926 Posts

Bottom line here is that there is a quiet but very big push by state officials for all law enforcement agencies to crack down on load pipes , been coming for a while now I heard rumbles about it a year ago . Now the state is in dire straights money wise simple high school math isn't needed to see where this is going . I live a few blocks from a popular watering hole and there's always a bike cop stalking somewhere around . A buddy is a cop in another town close and he flat out said they are briefed at least weekly on coming down on loud and or " excessive display " motorcycles meaning the showboat rice rocket slants . They are using green laws and EPA regs to tap a new revenue vein . As for the rest of the country it's coming your way too , I don't care how far you have to carry kerosene back into them hills for heating oil . Cops are going to be hassling a lot more people soon and as for the original post , 1st thing the cop may not like or agree with what is going down but hasn't really got a choice , 2nd is why waste time with 1 citation ? they always look for more nick knack crap to fluff it some .

Old 07-28-2010, 05:53 AM
VsTheWorld
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Lou
He didn't have to scratch you. He had complete discretion whether to pinch you or warn you.
true, and OP (like all of us) has the choice not to break the law
play the game, prepare to lose once in a while

Old 07-28-2010, 06:35 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

The noise zealots are waging war on loud noises,we biker types should feel priviledged.They are testing the waters on us.Once they get what they think they need,what will be their next target.Loud talkers in your own backyard?Can't begin to imagine what these zealots are focused on other than living in there protected, sqeaky clean,noiseless,geekdom.Have to admit there are people not just bikers that are annoyingly loud.Car stereos,bikes besides Harleys,trucks and cars exhaust,dirt bikes,and even aircraft, that rattle the dishes

Old 07-28-2010, 07:20 AM
Nikon D700
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VsTheWorld
true, and OP (like all of us) has the choice not to break the law
play the game, prepare to lose once in a while
+1.

I don't drive in a reckless manner but, I do drive a lot of the time over the posted limits. I have loud pipes and make no excuses for them. If some cop pulls me over and gives me a ticket for speeding or my loud pipes so be it. I know that both speeding and the loud pipes can get me cited but, I choose to do both. If I am to get cited at least I am man enough to admit my error and take the ticket without complaining about the cop doing the job we hired them to do.

Some cops work traffic assignments, some work investigations, some work patrol. I bet none of them get calls because "happy things" are going on. They get calls because something crappy just happened to someone. For me, if I need to call the cops for something, I want the cop who is going to do his job.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:21 AM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Its really a case where a few azzholes spoil it for the rest of us.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:35 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say, you better enjoy it while you can because it's going to get worse. Especially in California.

I live in a small wide spot in the road town and there has already been a few tickets for loud exhausts. Mostly to harass the local MC.

When everyone else exhaust gets quieter, those with loud pipe will be easily identified.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:16 AM
JoeN
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default that sux

not sure about Ca. laws, but too loud seems to be objective. I would think he needs to measure decibals with a meter that should be certified by the dept of agriculture, bureau of weights and measure.

the cop was showing his boss he was doing his job, and in reality not really hurting you in the pocket. a good tic. and he is closer to his quota.

look up the sections of the law and see if you have a defense. the cop won't take it personal, or just have a friend in a service station say that the violations were fixed. good to show a receipt. once again, not sure of your laws out there. good luck

Old 07-28-2010, 01:25 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to see where a lot of this chit starts check out this website:

http://noiseoff.org/

This is a bulletin issued by the California Highway Patrol regarding exhaust noise:

http://www.cent-21.com/laws/exhaust-us.htm

Old 07-28-2010, 02:47 PM
jamesw
Road Warrior
Received 753 Likes on 278 Posts

I looked at the "Forum" on the noiseoff.org site, and it looks like we will have to tread lightly! They started in 2004, and they are already up to 114 members! With groundswell like that........

Old 07-28-2010, 02:56 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm actually offended by that website (noiseoff.org) and nothing on this earth offends me.

This bothers me the most:
In their 2007 published report, 'Fatal Two-Vehicle Motorcycle Crashes' (DOT HS 810 834), motorcyclists were found to be overwhelmingly responsible for causing accidents with passenger vehicles. In nearly three-fourths of the two-vehicle motorcycle crashes involving passenger vehicles, the role of the motorcycle was recorded as the striking vehicle. Additionally, factors including alcohol impairment, invalid license, and speeding were more attributed to motorcycle riders.

Holy #$@%...what they fail to list is having an automobile pull out in front of you, making a left across your path of travel. OF COURSE YOU WOULD BE THE STRIKING VEHICLE YOU DUMBASSES!

Quick Reply: Got a loud pipes ticket today on the way to work