General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a loud pipes ticket today on the way to work

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 06:02 PM
frankjake
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He didn't "have" to write the ticket, he has the choice. He lied! Sounds like a ***** to me.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:26 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sonar_chris
He cited section 24951(b) which only says that

Any vehicle may be equipped with a lamp-type turn signal system capable of clearly indicating any intention to turn either to the right or to the left.

The following vehicles shall be equipped with a lamp-type turn signal system meeting the requirements of this chapter

(4) Motorcycles manufactured and first registered on or after January 1, 1973

This says nothing about separation between signals. all it says is that they have to be clearly seen, but it doesn't say from how far away.
You're right however, you forgot to read section 24952 where it does say how far.

24952. A lamp-type turn signal shall be plainly visible and understandable in normal sunlight and at nighttime from a distance of at least 300 feet to the front and rear of the vehicle, except that turn signal lamps on vehicles of a size required to be equipped with clearance lamps shall be visible from a distance of 500 feet during such times.

Now, in case you haven't encountered an integrated lamp on a bike, it has been my experience they are difficult to see in terms of which direction is being signaled at 100' let alone the required 300'.. At 100' it looks like one lamp flashing as opposed to flashing which direction you want to turn.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:58 PM
outlaw0013
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tripped1
Don't know about Cali but Dever's damned sure did. I had out of state tags and was just passing through, got nailed for a $500 modified exhaust noiseticker there just stopping for gas. The best part, ****er made me rev my bike till I failed for noise. Needless to say, it makes a HELL of a lot more noise at 11,300 RPM vice the 5500 I was cruising at. It doesn't start to sing till around 7 grand.

Pissed me right off, I never went back to Colorado again. Which sort of sucked they have a LOT of HELLACIOUSLY good roads there.
What were you riding? Reving it up that high it sure wasn't a HD. You must have done something to **** him off to have him stop you in a gas station.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:01 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Chris,
What did you have to do to your exhaust,to satisfy the ticket?
Tom

Old 12-21-2008, 10:30 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by outlaw0013
You must have done something to **** him off to have him stop you in a gas station.
I agree!

Old 12-21-2008, 11:16 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I put my stock exhaust and signals back on and got a Sheriff to sign the ticket off, then over to the court house to pay my $10 for court fees. I put my duals back on and took the stock signals back off as soon as I got home. I asked for some Quiet baffles for Christmas, I will just have to wait and see if I got them.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:20 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddha4
my question regarding the "turn signals" is if they are not required since arm signals could be used how do they have a requirement for 9" of separation? I also have the integrated turn signals in the tail light and am running a LSR exhaust and every day wind up idling next to a LEO on my way to/from work. never had an issue.
Ah, they, the turn signals, are required unless the vehicle is so old they weren't required when it was built and that goes way way back to a land far far away..

Method of Signaling

22110. (a) The signals required by this chapter shall be given by signal lamp, unless a vehicle is not required to be and is not equipped with turn signals. Drivers of vehicles not required to be and not equipped with turn signals shall give a hand and arm signal when required by this chapter.
(b) In the event the signal lamps become inoperable while driving, hand and arm signals shall be used in the manner required in this chapter.

Amended Sec. 12, Ch. 1008, Stats. 1999. Effective January 1, 2000.

Turn Signal Lamps

24953. (a) Any turn signal system used to give a signal of intention to turn right or left shall project a flashing white or amber light visible to the front and a flashing red or amber light visible to the rear.
(b) Side-mounted turn signal lamps projecting a flashing amber light to either side may be used to supplement the front and rear turn signals. Side-mounted turn signal lamps mounted to the rear of the center of the vehicle may project a flashing red light no part of which shall be visible from the front.
(c) In addition to any required turn signal lamps, any vehicle may be equipped with supplemental rear turn signal lamps mounted to the rear of the rearmost portion of the driver's seat in its rearmost position.
(d) In addition to any required or authorized turn signal lamps, any vehicle may be equipped with supplemental rear turn signal lamps that are mounted on, or are an integral portion of, the outside rearview mirrors, so long as the lamps flash simultaneously with the rear turn signal lamps, the light emitted from the lamps is projected only to the rear of the vehicle and is not visible to the driver under normal operating conditions, except for a visual indicator designed to allow monitoring of lamp operation, and the lamps do not project a glaring light.

Amended Ch. 207, Stats. 1994. Effective July 18, 1994.
Amended Sec. 22, Ch. 945, Stats. 1997. Effective January 1, 1998.

Turn Signal System

24951. (a) Any vehicle may be equipped with a lamp-type turn signal system capable of clearly indicating any intention to turn either to the right or to the left.
(b) The following vehicles shall be equipped with a lamp-type turn signal system meeting the requirements of this chapter.
(1) Motor trucks, truck tractors, buses and passenger vehicles, other than motorcycles, manufactured and first registered on or after January 1, 1958.
(2) Trailers and semitrailers manufactured and first registered between December 31, 1957, and January 1, 1969, having a gross weight of 6,000 pounds or more.
(3) Trailers and semitrailers 80 or more inches in width manufactured on or after January 1, 1969.
(4) Motorcycles manufactured and first registered on or after January 1, 1973, except motor-driven cycles whose speed attainable in one mile is 30 miles per hour or less.
The requirements of this subdivision shall not apply to special mobile equipment, or auxiliary dollies.
(c) Turn signal lamps on vehicles manufactured on or after January 1, 1969, shall be mounted not lower than 15 inches.

Amended Ch. 475, Stats. 1975. Effective January 1, 1976.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:23 PM
Tripped1
Tourer

Originally Posted by outlaw0013
What were you riding? Reving it up that high it sure wasn't a HD. You must have done something to **** him off to have him stop you in a gas station.
It's a Triumph Speed Triple.

I got singled out, I was with traffic and jumped off the interstate for gas and he pulled me over in the gas station. The bike has a highmout exhaust, it's obviously not stock, I was an easy mark.

I even called the court and asked if the ticket was legal since I was passing though from out of state and the bike was perfectly legal where I lived, nope. $500

Old 12-21-2008, 11:25 PM
Tripped1
Tourer

double post

Old 12-22-2008, 01:46 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hangfire1

Big brother telling us how loud our pipes can be ... give me a frickin break.
People running loud pipes are forcing others to listen to them. What's the difference...

Quick Reply: Got a loud pipes ticket today on the way to work