General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a loud pipes ticket today on the way to work

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 06:46 PM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sonar_chris
Well, cruising down the 8 west on my way to work in San Diego about 70 mph, I was just west of El Cajon and I saw a motorcycle cop behind me, I moved over so we could stagger in the lane. Few seconds later, looked in the mirror again, and he was light up like a christmas tree. I pulled over and wrote me for CVC 27150(a) no or inefective mufflers (correctable) and CVC 24951(b) Turn signals not being 9" appart (I bought an intigrated tail light and ditched the OEM signals). Anyway, he told me that he knew why we have loud exhaust but he had to write it anyway. They are both fix it tickets, so its not a big deal. There is no denying I was breaking the law, and I got caught, the cop was just doing his job. So if you've got loud pipes and are riding around El Cajon California, be carefull.
That sux!

Old 11-19-2008, 06:49 AM
Skitzer
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ride with a couple of LEO's, one is a State Trooper, and both of their Harleys are much louder than my Heritage with V&H straight shots. Loud pipes are not an issue here. We don't have a helmet law either ...... just don't cross over into New Hampshire.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:54 AM
wilburz
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Skitzer
I ride with a couple of LEO's, one is a State Trooper, and both of their Harleys are much louder than my Heritage with V&H straight shots. Loud pipes are not an issue here. We don't have a helmet law either ...... just don't cross over into New Hampshire.
your LEO friends have no worries. Cops don't give Cops tickets.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:39 PM
Devil Dog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pablo, I have spent my entire adult life defending the right of people like you to voice your opinion without fear of retribution. And I accept that you have that right. But when I voice mine, I don't appreciate being called anything remotely resembling a "****". Thanks, I 'ppreciate that.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:25 PM
blackhog5150
Intermediate
Default Why

Why do we always get tickets from M/C cops? I got a speeding ticket from one I was speeding but so were the cars passing me.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:59 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by blackhog5150
Why do we always get tickets from M/C cops? I got a speeding ticket from one I was speeding but so were the cars passing me.
Because a M/C cops primary job is to enforce traffic laws. Been told it is almost impossible to get out of a ticket if you get stopped by a bike cop or Hiway Patrol.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:20 AM
Tripped1
Tourer

Originally Posted by aviator
wonder if that applies to out-of-state bikes too? I'll be spending the week of Thanksgiving in Spring Valley and I'm sure we'll ride into El Cajon at least once to go by the dealer.
Don't know about Cali but Dever's damned sure did. I had out of state tags and was just passing through, got nailed for a $500 modified exhaust noiseticker there just stopping for gas. The best part, ****er made me rev my bike till I failed for noise. Needless to say, it makes a HELL of a lot more noise at 11,300 RPM vice the 5500 I was cruising at. It doesn't start to sing till around 7 grand.

Pissed me right off, I never went back to Colorado again. Which sort of sucked they have a LOT of HELLACIOUSLY good roads there.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:28 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Tripped1
Don't know about Cali but Dever's damned sure did. I had out of state tags and was just passing through, got nailed for a $500 modified exhaust noiseticker there just stopping for gas. The best part, ****er made me rev my bike till I failed for noise. Needless to say, it makes a HELL of a lot more noise at 11,300 RPM vice the 5500 I was cruising at. It doesn't start to sing till around 7 grand.

Pissed me right off, I never went back to Colorado again. Which sort of sucked they have a LOT of HELLACIOUSLY good roads there.
I would never have reved it high for him. I dont care who he is. As a wrench I would have told him the worst things to do to a motor is free rev it to high rpms. I doubt he is a certified mechanic too.
If he wants to hear and record excess noise he could follow me as I drove away shifting at low rpms, if it failed he could pull me over again and write it up.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:45 PM
memphis
Elite HDF Member

Just put V&H slip-ons,lucky the cops here are deaf

Old 12-21-2008, 05:42 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hangfire1
Seems like they could find better things to do.

Big brother telling us how loud our pipes can be and what helmets to wear, give me a frickin break.
And what things would this be? Motor officers in California and this would include the CHP are traffic officers and it is their job to write citations for CVC code violations. San Diego is the only place in California I have ever been hassled for lane splitting. The cities of Newport Beach, Huntington Beach and North Hollywood have been writing for loud pipes for at least 8 years that I know of. Recently and according to a friend of mine that works for Harley in Riverside, Moreno Valley has been writing paper too. Remember, cities and states are now bad off too and they will be increasing revenue through the use of legal citations for illegal activity.

Quick Reply: Got a loud pipes ticket today on the way to work