General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a loud pipes ticket today on the way to work

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 03:47 PM
scg1953
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
Fact is his primary job is to protect life and property. While he writing tickets for loud pipes he's not doing that.

There are thousands of laws. Cops can't enforce them all and if they tried they'd never get a mile from their barracks. That's why they use selective enforcement.

Check out your state traffic law book and tell me police need to be spending their limited resources writing tickets for every BS law in there.

I want my police to spend their time on violations that cause loved ones not to come home to their familes. 45,000 body bags a year and we're worried about loud pipes.

Jimmers,
This stop was made on a California Freeway which is the jurisdiction of the California Highway Patrol and thier primary function IS to enforce vehicle code violations and investigate accidents on the CA
freeways. So he was doing his job !
Your statement, "Fact is his primary job is to protect life and property. While he writing tickets for loud pipes he's not doing that " is a bit uninformed. However I do agree that loud pipes to a point is kind of petty, but so is a tinted window violation (it gets very hot here & tint helps) alot more of those are issued here in CA
than loud pipes.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:13 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by scg1953
Jimmers,
This stop was made on a California Freeway which is the jurisdiction of the California Highway Patrol and thier primary function IS to enforce vehicle code violations and investigate accidents on the CA
freeways. So he was doing his job !
Your statement, "Fact is his primary job is to protect life and property. While he writing tickets for loud pipes he's not doing that " is a bit uninformed. However I do agree that loud pipes to a point is kind of petty, but so is a tinted window violation (it gets very hot here & tint helps) alot more of those are issued here in CA
than loud pipes.
What life and property was he protecting by issuing a loud pipes ticket. While he was doing that he could've been writing someone for reckless driving or speeding. Violations that kill people.

All police departments set priorities so that their limited resources are used effectively. That includes the highway patrol. I submit that loud pipes tickets are not an effective use of those resources. But that's just one man's opinion so lets leave it at that.

Just for the record, you will find no bigger supporter of the police than me.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Sarg
Advanced
Wink Motor Officer is Doing his Job!

Bottom line is enough people complained about the Loud Pipes and it was made into Law. The majority of people do not like loud pipes. If you don't like the Law get the Majority of the People to agree with you and get the Law Changed. As long as the Law is on the Books the Officer is doing What you and all the people in Calif. are "Paying" him to do "Enforce The Laws" and to do his Job. Further as a Traffic Motor Officer he is doing Exactly what he is supposed to be doing Writting Citations for Motor Vehicle Violations.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:49 PM
scg1953
Tourer

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
What life and property was he protecting by issuing a loud pipes ticket. While he was doing that he could've been writing someone for reckless driving or speeding. Violations that kill people.

All police departments set priorities so that their limited resources are used effectively. That includes the highway patrol. I submit that loud pipes tickets are not an effective use of those resources. But that's just one man's opinion so lets leave it at that.

Just for the record, you will find no bigger supporter of the police than me.
I guess your argument would be valid providing that at exact time and location, there was a reckless driver, drunk driver, etc. and the officer decided that he would just give a ticket for pipes. Do you see my point? It's kind of like people saying ... the COP was giving me a ticket for making an illegal turn when there was a murder occuring a block away. This senario could also be seen as a non effective use of resources. I guess the bottom line is that "best use of resources" is relitive to the situation at hand.
Please don't take this as me arguing with you but only a different point of view in a friendly way. No offence intended !

Old 11-18-2008, 12:38 AM
monyman
Cruiser

man,,,,i have read evry one of these comments,,,but i am going to go out on a limb and say,,,i am glad i got a fix it ticket on sunset blvd for loud pipes,,,,i am back to stock pipes and my ears arnt ringing anymore,,,,maybe a blessing in diguise?

Old 11-18-2008, 12:53 AM
IlDuce
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

id like them to change the law to Anything NEWER then 25 years old they can give those tickets to. I know in NYS if a car is older then 25 years old, there is no Emissions. Whats so different about bikes? if a car older then 25 can have a loud exhaust, why cant a bike?

Just me discussing the NYS law even though i never got a ticket for loud pipes (yes i have them, i have 1 3/4 drag pipes with no baffles)

Old 11-18-2008, 01:18 AM
Pablo22
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Devil Dog
It's too bad some of you think the officer was a "dick" or should "look the other way". How is he a "dick" for giving Chris a repair order? He could easily have cited him. Maybe that was the officers way of telling him he did not agree with the law either. And why should he ignore violations and "look the other way". That's not what he's paid to do and all of you that wish he would do that would probably be the first ones to jump his a** when you found out he was not doing his job that you pay your taxes for him to do. Chris "manned" up and said he deserved the repair orders. And just so you all know, I have been a sheriff's deputy for 15 years. I write a whole lot more repair orders and warnings than I do tickets. I feel if I got my point across then I did my job. Don't mean to sound angry but I never understood when you get caught doing something that's a violation how that becomes my fault. Thanks for listening, have a great weekend!
You (maybe not you in AZ - but your Brother Donut Dunkers in Kalifornia) enforce laws that infringe on our Constitutional rights - you appliedfor the job knowing this therefore you are nothing but Jackboot **** Thugs! You won't waste your time on illegals in POS vehicles because there is no money in it to pay for your overtime and retirement! Thanks for listening, have another donut.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:15 PM
scg1953
Tourer

Originally Posted by Pablo22
You (maybe not you in AZ - but your Brother Donut Dunkers in Kalifornia) enforce laws that infringe on our Constitutional rights - you appliedfor the job knowing this therefore you are nothing but Jackboot **** Thugs! You won't waste your time on illegals in POS vehicles because there is no money in it to pay for your overtime and retirement! Thanks for listening, have another donut.
You are way off base here buddy. A violation is a violation no matter what my or your opinion is. It dosen't sound like the original poster denies that fact. I guess you would rather just get a citation than a fix-it ticket. There are many many laws on the books in every city and every state that are somewhat goofy but that is not for an officer to decide. He is not the Judge and Jury, unless YOU choose to give that authority to him by not contesting the ticket in a court of law.
As far as you using the " Jackboot **** Thugs " comment. I don't see why anyone would take anything you said serriously after a put down like that. NO CALL FOR IT as far as I'm concerned. I'm pretty sure there are a number of current or retired Law Enforcement folks here that are offended by your name calling tough guy attitude. However it it is your right isn't it? With any luck you will never need a "Jackboot Thug's " assistance but if you ever do they WILL be there for you just like anyone else. After all it's YOUR CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT !!
I bet if you took time to ask Devil Dog how many Illegals he arrests on a daily basis, it would be high. You should also ask him how many HE PERSONALLY lets out of jail. The answer IS ZERO, the courts do that.
Sorry for the rant and I really don't mean any disrespect to you .... but you hit a nerve with the name calling. And I do realize this is my opinion only.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:27 PM
scg1953
Tourer

Does anyone else find it ironic that Sonar Chris is the one that got the fix-it ticket and he was the first to admit that the Officer was doing his job? He was only getting a bit of frustration off his chest and is better than name calling. + 1 for Chris.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:31 PM
Pablo22
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by scg1953
You are way off base here buddy. A violation is a violation no matter what my or your opinion is. It dosen't sound like the original poster denies that fact. I guess you would rather just get a citation than a fix-it ticket. There are many many laws on the books in every city and every state that are somewhat goofy but that is not for an officer to decide. He is not the Judge and Jury, unless YOU choose to give that authority to him by not contesting the ticket in a court of law.
As far as you using the " Jackboot **** Thugs " comment. I don't see why anyone would take anything you said serriously after a put down like that. NO CALL FOR IT as far as I'm concerned. I'm pretty sure there are a number of current or retired Law Enforcement folks here that are offended by your name calling tough guy attitude. However it it is your right isn't it? With any luck you will never need a "Jackboot Thug's " assistance but if you ever do they WILL be there for you just like anyone else. After all it's YOUR CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT !!
I bet if you took time to ask Devil Dog how many Illegals he arrests on a daily basis, it would be high. You should also ask him how many HE PERSONALLY lets out of jail. The answer IS ZERO, the courts do that.
Sorry for the rant and I really don't mean any disrespect to you .... but you hit a nerve with the name calling. And I do realize this is my opinion only.
Yeah, I gues you're right - just because they wear uniforms that are similar to the ****'s, stop people because of how they look, what they wear, etc it's no reason to complain. We shouldn't expect to be able to ride our bikes without being hassled by cops in a "Free" Society now should we? This was NOT a CHP Officer as you stated in a previous post, it was a City Police Officer. It's not a matter of jurisdiction, it's a matter of priorities!

Quick Reply: Got a loud pipes ticket today on the way to work