General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust crossover pipe

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 02:33 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust crossover pipe

I asked this in the Touring section and didn't get a good response so I'll try here. What is the purpose of the crossover? And if it is necessary why is everyone switching to true duals? Has anyone eliminated the crossover from their original pipes? That would end the heat problem from it and save alot of money compared to going true duals. Seems pretty simple to do, especially if you can weld. I would like to remove it and replace my mufflers with SE slip ons and fishtails, I like that look and could use a little more noise. Also, IMHO the new 2-1-2 on the '09's is plain out ugly, lessens ground clearance and must increase the heat to the right side even more than the older crossover pipes. Big MOCO mistake imo and one reason I went with the '08. Opinions?

Old 11-06-2008, 03:58 PM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The crossover is basically for emmissions and chamber volume. This also assist in low end power and warm up capabilities. The advantage of the true duals is it gives you the ability to tune each cylinder independently. You can find an increase in fuel economy and power. Sometimes depending on tune or tuner you will see a slight drop in low to mid power. She stock crossover design works fine with the slip on's and mod's you talked about.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:30 PM
hotrodsandharleys73
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The crossover helps to "scavenge" the exhaust and pull the intake charge in for the opposing cylinder. The problem with the oe setup is the right side pipe carries the majority of the exhaust. true duals do lose some bottom end in most combinations, I didn't see any loss in mine, but the mid range and top end gain is usually well worth the trade off IMO.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:56 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

I put on a FULLSAC true dual kit....which eliminates the crossover.
I noticed no lack of power or torque. The bike was still hot enough
that my girlfriend would put her leg on top of mine at stop lights though.
Looks good.....runs good.......but was still hot.
Luckily I bought it from a member here, and at a decent price.

Chuck

Old 11-06-2008, 06:01 PM
Ugly Troll
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Chuck, I've thought about the fulsac for quite awhile, but I'm still undecided. Can you tell me if it's much louder than stock? Are you happy with it? Has it affected your fuel usage much either way? Thanks for the help!

Troll

Old 11-06-2008, 06:25 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member

...some answers... lol...

The Best power you can make throughout the power-band is a 2>1. It also helps "scavenge", as was said... ever notice that no sportsbikes use "true duels"... you can still tune each exhaust independently.

The crossover is a compromise between true duels and a 2>1 that allows the gasses to mix, and a higher-velocity to be maintained without having a tiny exhaust, while still looking "dualish".

The only time true duel make sense beyond looks is on drag bikes that run only at WOT, then very short drag-pipes can be used to good effect. Still, they are sort of a relic. I wouldn't eliminate the crossover unless it were essential. These things are already wanting in the power department.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:30 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Exactly. That's why I just put a 2-1 on my RK. Very noticeable difference.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:19 PM
roadking1893
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To answer your question if anyone have removed that pipe from the stock set up. I have as you said if you can weld it's easy. since i've removed mine and installing the XIED's and my own design for slip on's my bike runs very cool even in the high temp in southern maryand. I did loose mileages but hey i can leave with 2-4 mpg over cool running engine. here's a link that sells a kit. as you said you can eliminate yourself. http://www.superflowmufflers.com/

What I did is after cutting the pipe close where it is joint together I took the pipe I cut off and flatten part of it and use that to cover the holes one on the pipe from the front cylinder and of course the hole from the rear cylinder. the product you barely noticed unless you point it out. I'll take some photos tomorrow and post them. I plan on having my bike dynoed soon to see what I've gain hp and tq because after all those mod including my own K/N filter housing I can rev up my bike and get to 65mph while still in 4th gear without the bike sounding like it is working at all adn feels smooth.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:30 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Herr Monk
...some answers... lol...

The Best power you can make throughout the power-band is a 2>1. It also helps "scavenge", as was said... ever notice that no sportsbikes use "true duels"... you can still tune each exhaust independently.

The crossover is a compromise between true duels and a 2>1 that allows the gasses to mix, and a higher-velocity to be maintained without having a tiny exhaust, while still looking "dualish".

The only time true duel make sense beyond looks is on drag bikes that run only at WOT, then very short drag-pipes can be used to good effect. Still, they are sort of a relic. I wouldn't eliminate the crossover unless it were essential. These things are already wanting in the power department.
Pretty cool trick to tune each 4 into 1 exhausts on a sportbike?? I'll stick with my true dual Rineharts over stock crossover or 2 into 1 any day!!

Old 11-07-2008, 12:57 AM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks Roadking1893, that's what I was talking about!

Quick Reply: Exhaust crossover pipe