General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey, Asheville NC riders...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Question Hey, Asheville NC riders...

Whats the story out there? I'm thinking about a move. I hear the place is overflowing with dirty hippies and starving artist.

Any dominant MCs? RCs? Indie shops? Dirty bars and fast cars? Strippers and skoal dippers?

Where is the party? How are the cops? Helmet laws? Etc etc etc.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:41 PM
barnyard
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why you turning your back on Bagdad?

Old 11-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

clearly, you've never been to bagdad

Old 11-06-2008, 01:55 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

True, Asheville has it's share of the artsy-fartsy crowd but it also has plenty of rednecks, partiers, fun girls, strip clubs and the like much as any town has them. It also has some of the greatest motorcycle roads anywhere within a few hours ride. It has a pleasant summer and mild winter. The spring and fall are wonderful times to be there. Dominant club is probably Outlaws MC, riding clubs would include HOG and maybe a couple of more. Fast cars...oh yeah, not a lot of salt on the roads in winter and muscle cars are everywhere. There is also a big equestrian community here so the skoal dippers are here too.

If you come ...what will you add to this mix ? Will it be a better place or worse? Asheville is jsut the largest town around here. There are several small college towns near here too. It's all yo want to make it

Bubba

Old 11-06-2008, 02:02 PM
Iamopie2FLHRC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am form Hedersonville, NC just south of asheville. Yes Asheville is kind of a hippy town but it is also very nice. I would highly recommend moving around Asheville. The traffic is not bad, so commuting is not bad. Hendersonville is very not hippie, and in my opinion, the perfect small town. As for owning a bike and moving there, you could not be in a better area to have a motorcycle.
They do have helmet laws, but there is a pretty decent night life there as well. It is getting bigger as more and more people move in.
There are quite a few harley dealers and some bike shops. Of course the blue ridge parkway is about an exit away, and the Tail of the Dragon is aout an hour and a half away.
As a southern man, I wouldn't hesitate to move to Asheville.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:03 PM
Iamopie2FLHRC
Advanced

Oh, and I agree, Baghdad sucks. I am very glad to be leaving it tomorrow.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:27 PM
hardluk1
Road Master

Certainteed like other said but there is also a good CBA chapter and Southern Criusers. Good acess to many great ride areas. 5 or 6 good indy shops around . If you are buy'n you may spend some time looking and my end up in one of the many small towns around the area.There is a live music of most types all the time .Some in bars some in venues. Leos are a good bunch ,no hassels and might as well get use to a helmet ,to damd cold for atleast 5 months a year atleast for a skid lid. Couple tat tat bars but nothing high class and more than enought druggies and drucks and hippies to make setting on a bench fun. Yes fast cars and only and hour and 1/2 or less from several drag strips. I live 30 minutes north of town ,this whole area is a good place to live.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:31 PM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What wrong with hippies? They get the best weed.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:56 PM
tallboy56
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been living in the area for 26 years...don't know about the strip clubs...I wouldn't call it a strip club hotbed. The riding is top shelf as well as the climate. Music scene is happening. You need a helmet. Housing is expensive...NC taxes ain't no attraction either. Do you work? Employment could be a challenge depending on what you want/need to do. I'm sure there are MC clubs...I'm only in the local HOG and I don't see a lot of "colors" while I'm out riding...that don't mean they ain't here. Hope this helps...

Old 11-06-2008, 06:00 PM
tallboy56
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yeah...forgot to mention that Asheville is known as the San Fransissyco of the east. There are plenty of tailgunners and muffmunchers around...

Quick Reply: Hey, Asheville NC riders...