General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding with earbuds and music...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 10:22 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Riding with earbuds and music...

I've psoted about this in the past, but would like to hear what people think about it now since there is a whole new set of members here. I recently got an Iphone and have found it very useful as I now always have an IPOD with me while out and about. I like using it while riding so I can have tunes. This doesn't apply to all you Bagger guys with stereos. There is a state law in CA where I live that states that it is only legal to ride with on earphone in as it supposedly takes away from you ability to pay attention to the road. Since I have had this new device I use it nearly all the time. I find that it is still impossible for me to not be aware what is going around me on the road as I have trained myself to ride a certain way. I scan the road for potential hazards regardless of what my ears hear, and find I can still hear most everything going on around me. Do you guys think this is dangerous, or is it simply another law that slipped by. Seeing all the lack of attention on the road with phones and texting and all that other crap I feel that I am still far more aware than most others on the road. I am sure someone will say "Why do you think there is a law?" What do you think? For the record I ahve been riding for 13 years and have had 4 accidnets on the road, all others fault.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:34 AM
dlg1125
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have an iPhone and like to listen to music while riding, I don't think that it takes away from my ability to know what is going on around me. Personally I think that I even without headphones I don't rely on sounds very much to judge my surroundings, there is not much to be heard over the loud pipes and 60 MPH winds!

On a side note what kind of ear buds do you use? I have the standard iPhone ones now but they always tend to fall out with a half helmet and with a full face I cant seem to get them in place. I have been looking for a good set of in ears so they won't fall out as easily, any suggestions?

David

Old 11-05-2008, 10:35 AM
maskedstranger
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is illegal in most states. I think if listening to music was that important to me while riding, I would get a SG. Then I wouldn't have to worry about it. The sound of the bike is music to my ears.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:38 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I have Shure's. I don't know what the model is but they have the earplug type pieces that go over the end to form a seal in your ear. I can hear them great at any speed. I would highly recommend them.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Joe Diver
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my iPod Shuffle....probably the best thing I've bought for the bike so far. I found my iPhone a bit cumbersome to use while riding....the Shuffle is small and easily operated without looking with one finger.

I listen to tunes loud enough to hear them but not so loud as to drown everything else out.

As far as legality....not stipulated in Texas...at least nobody has ever been able to link to a specific law...plenty of folks have "claimed" one way or the other, but no supporting info yet.

I can't see the logic in it being illegal....unless it is ALSO illegal to be blasting your car stereo so loud you can't hear anything else....and it is ALSO illegal for deaf people to drive. Those two legal arguments could defeat an earbud law.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:40 AM
d_slat
Road Warrior
Received 637 Likes on 325 Posts

the only thing that would bother me about it is not being able to hear - with both ear buds in, there's no way you would hear sirens on an emergency vehicle, and trust me, even though they are supposed to slow before going through intersections, i've seen them blow through red lights at 50-60 mph, even when the speed limit is only 35!

Old 11-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Hal64hd
Road Master

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by dlg1125
I also have an iPhone and like to listen to music while riding, I don't think that it takes away from my ability to know what is going on around me. Personally I think that I even without headphones I don't rely on sounds very much to judge my surroundings, there is not much to be heard over the loud pipes and 60 MPH winds!

On a side note what kind of ear buds do you use? I have the standard iPhone ones now but they always tend to fall out with a half helmet and with a full face I cant seem to get them in place. I have been looking for a good set of in ears so they won't fall out as easily, any suggestions?

David
I use skull candy ear buds. They are small and have 3 interchangeable cups and tuck into the ear. It also has a slider volume switch on the cable.

http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/smoki...6548104637e8ea

Old 11-05-2008, 10:49 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many years ago while riding a 2 lane highway with my wife as the passenger, I turned on my blinker and slowed down to make a left turn. I heard the roar of a car engine and looked in my left mirror. Sure enough some moron was passing me on the left over double yellow lines. I'd never use anything to impede my hearing.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Joe Diver
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by d_slat
with both ear buds in, there's no way you would hear sirens on an emergency vehicle,
Not an issue....don't turn the thing up so loud! I have no problem hearing my music plus stuff going on around me.

I use the Vmoda Vibe Duo....nice comfy silicone around the bud that goes in your ear...good seal and stays in place, plus comfy all day.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:57 AM
1Coastie
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an Ipod that I use with ear buds when I am on open road long trips, I dont care for it around town, or when riding in groups.

It does make a long road trip much more enjoyable.

Quick Reply: Riding with earbuds and music...