General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding with earbuds and music...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 03:40 PM
smittyp83
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I usually wear either earbuds (+1 for the Skullcandy) with an ipod or I'll wear foam ear plugs. My ears are sensitive to wind noise and pressure, so I like to either cover them with a hat or plug them. No problem hearing outside noises with either.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:28 PM
rockabillygrl
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a pair of Bose ear buds and they always fell out. So I bought the Skull Candy for about half what the bose costs and they are much much better. Fit very nicely. I ride with my ipod or Xm inno all the time. There is nothing better than the open road and a great song to fit the mood!

Old 11-07-2008, 12:35 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadWolf71
Interesting that you assume that people who claim it impedes your hearing have never tried it.
No need to assume - I was simply reading the responses from people who said they have never done it and never would because they think they wouldn't be able to hear anything else.

I tried it, once. I found that it impeded my hearing and I didn't like it.
Then you shouldn't do it.

Thing is, earbuds by design reduce ambiant noise. You can claim all day long that it doesn't affect you, but the physics are undenyable. Same guy on the same bike with no stereo vs. speakers vs. earbuds will hear the siren in that order. That's not saying he won't hear it with earbuds in, just that he would hear it sooner without.
Correct - so those who are claiming earbuds would completely prevent you from hearing the siren are, as I said, wrong. Obviously, you agree.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:27 AM
Roadjunkie1
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my music on my Roadglide as the controls are at my thumbs. But as far as a IPOD goes, just seems like a distraction to me and not very safe at all

IMHO