General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding with earbuds and music...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 12:42 AM
Dustball
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking at spending close to $100 for some ear buds when my daughter told me to go to Wal-Mart and buy the JVC "Marshmallow" for $19.00. They have the 2 inter-changeable ear canal barrels (large/small) and work great on highway and city. We get some really wicked crosswinds around here that rip the typical ear bud out, but these things really stay put. Sound quality is "good", and I'm sure the $100 jobs probably are much better, but for $19 these things are an awesome deal!

Old 11-06-2008, 12:52 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Interesting that people who have never tried it claim to know it impedes your hearing.

I'm just hitting on 5 years with my company (this fits with the topic - just stay with me). They sent me a little catalog, rather than a watch. There wasn't much of anything I felt I wanted in there, so I decided to snag an MP3 player to possibly use while riding. I just got it a few days ago. The first morning I tried it, I had an issue with getting the buds to stay in my ears while putting on my FF helmet. Grabbed a smaller set of buds I had laying around, and managed to make it work.

I kind of didn't like it - somewhat distracting. Mostly because I have pretty much gotten away from listening to music much at all. I used to be a 24/7 music person - always had something playing (I'm a musician). Had two teenage daughters - one who decided to play Alanis Morrisette's "Jagged Little Pill", non-stop, every day, for weeks. Then, my younger daughter was a consatnt noise person - always talking on the phone with the TV & stereo on. When she finally moved out, I was really digging the whole silence thing.

But... I do like listening to music. What rather bugs me with the MP3 player thing, is I don't want to fiddle with controls while riding, and, maybe a song comes I that I don't care to hear right now.

Anyway, did it today again on my way to work. Kinda liked it. Had some tunes stuck in my head this morning - got to listen to them on the way to work. Kinda wild cruising along at 60 mph on a bike, listening to Moonlight Sonata.

Is it illegal to wear any type of headphones while driving in Illinois? Yes. With buds in my ears under a helmet, would a cop know? No. Do I care? No. Most importantly, does it impede my ability to hear what's going on around me? No. I heard all the same things I normally hear while riding to work - my bike, the traffic around me, emergency vehicles off in the distance on another road across the river... It's not like my bike is quiet. If anything is going to drown out sounds, it'd be my V&H Longshots, not some little buds in my ears.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:35 AM
Medicfrost
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustball
I was looking at spending close to $100 for some ear buds when my daughter told me to go to Wal-Mart and buy the JVC "Marshmallow" for $19.00. They have the 2 inter-changeable ear canal barrels (large/small) and work great on highway and city. We get some really wicked crosswinds around here that rip the typical ear bud out, but these things really stay put. Sound quality is "good", and I'm sure the $100 jobs probably are much better, but for $19 these things are an awesome deal!
+1 on the Marshmallow

Old 11-06-2008, 06:47 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I use Skull Candy ear buds along with my Creative mp3 player. Those damn Skull Candys are some of the best ear buds I've ever used while riding and listening to music.
I started using headphones in my helmet with my walkman back in the 80s and have been listening to music while riding ever since. No problems except a ticket back in the 80s for having headphones on while riding.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:48 AM
RoadWolf71
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
Interesting that people who have never tried it claim to know it impedes your hearing.
Interesting that you assume that people who claim it impedes your hearing have never tried it.

I tried it, once. I found that it impeded my hearing and I didn't like it.

Thing is, earbuds by design reduce ambiant noise. You can claim all day long that it doesn't affect you, but the physics are undenyable. Same guy on the same bike with no stereo vs. speakers vs. earbuds will hear the siren in that order. That's not saying he won't hear it with earbuds in, just that he would hear it sooner without.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:57 AM
krub6t9
Extreme HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

+2 I like these also and listen to my zune on almost all rides of 1/2 hr or more

Old 11-06-2008, 10:24 AM
Araba Shriner
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

( Is it cool to get a blow job while riding? An listen to my music?)
This is a good one. I have no problem with this - I'm looking to find a lady with a neck long enough to reach around from back there

Seriously, I normally wear a 3/4 helmet so the earbuds stay in place without any problem. I use Sony earbuds and have no problem hearing outside noises providing I keep the volume at a lower setting.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Dan28
Road Master
Received 209 Likes on 153 Posts

I use the JVC Marshmallows with an iPod sometimes. Usually on longer rides or the way to work. Sometimes I want the music, sometimes not. The earbuds tend to work better with my half helmets. It can be a challange to keep them in my ear when putting on my full face. Once I'm riding I don't fiddle with the player though. I set up playlists so that I don't care which song get played.

Everybody who rides is accepting some level of risk. You adjust the level of risk by the gear you wear, how you ride, etc. I personnally don't feel that the earbuds and music is really adding much to my risk level. Some apparently do, and its their perogative to not wear headphones/earbuds.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:50 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Some people have the skills to listen to music and not wreck the bike and some don't. If you don't then leave the earbuds and music at home and ride on. If you do have the skills then rock on.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by krub6t9

+2 I like these also and listen to my zune on almost all rides of 1/2 hr or more

i have those 'buds and they're good, but i don't like the foam because its too slick and wants to come out when i sweat. i just ordered the soft foam type from skullcandy for $10 shipped.

i ride with an mp3 player and just dont want to give it up. if i get a ticket i'm just gonna tell the judge "look, i can't hear @#$# on a motorcycle anyway. if you don't believe me take mine for a spin and hear for yourself".

Quick Reply: Riding with earbuds and music...