General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding with earbuds and music...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 03:17 PM
skooba
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WillyHD
Sooo....if you were riding on the interstate at speed (70mph here) without a fairing or stereo you would be able to a siren? My hearing must already suck because I know I can't.

C
Sooo.... Your saying why not completely obstruct whatever ability you may have to hear. Hey, its your butt, he asked my opinion and I gave it.

And I am not just thinking about a siren, how about another bike without loud pipes, or a tractor trailer (lots of tire noise being generated), car horn, screaching tires or anything moving into your blind spot. You gotta give yourself every chance possible.

Maybe your hearing does suck. And I have about 20%-30% hearing loss in each ear I can't afford to take that to 75% to listen to some tunes on an Ipod. I went to an Ultra last year from a 96 EVO Hertitage, no windshield, open V&H straights made quite a racket at speed. Also was a major reason for hearing loss. Never tried a radio until a year before I traded, spent mega bucks on the system, couldn't hear it over the bike. So I went up to the bike that was capable of providing the entertainment without the compromise of safety.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:48 PM
GlennA
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've ridden thousands of miles with earbuds and will ride thousands more. If I don't have earbuds, I use earplugs. I haven't had any more problem hearing outside noise with earbuds than with the earplugs. Then again, I pulled a trailer for many many miles behind a motorcycle as well. Do what you are comfortable with and let others do what they can handle. Live and let live.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:05 PM
doghair
Road Warrior

I have to wear a hearing aid (at46yrs) due to abuse from shooting guns, drums, concerts, navy and whatnot. One of the reasons I wear a half helmet is because it helps me hear cars in the blind spot and other things. Most of my riding is around town, on the freeway I suppose it doesn't matter much but I can't imagine ever having tunes on the bike, I am more than entertained just riding. In a cage I need music.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:16 PM
HDRider78154
Tourer

I have not gone on any rides longer than a few hours, so far I have not tried using my iPod or any other source of music while riding. If I start going on longer trips I will try listening to music.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:46 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I take solo trips, I'll take my IPOD and the ear buds. However, when my wife and I are on the scoots, I don't. I don't have any trouble hearing outside noise with the buds.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Lockman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by anubisss
I've psoted about this in the past, but would like to hear what people think about it now since there is a whole new set of members here. I recently got an Iphone and have found it very useful as I now always have an IPOD with me while out and about. I like using it while riding so I can have tunes. This doesn't apply to all you Bagger guys with stereos. There is a state law in CA where I live that states that it is only legal to ride with on earphone in as it supposedly takes away from you ability to pay attention to the road. Since I have had this new device I use it nearly all the time. I find that it is still impossible for me to not be aware what is going around me on the road as I have trained myself to ride a certain way. I scan the road for potential hazards regardless of what my ears hear, and find I can still hear most everything going on around me. Do you guys think this is dangerous, or is it simply another law that slipped by. Seeing all the lack of attention on the road with phones and texting and all that other crap I feel that I am still far more aware than most others on the road. I am sure someone will say "Why do you think there is a law?" What do you think? For the record I ahve been riding for 13 years and have had 4 accidnets on the road, all others fault.
Except for that "Twisty canyon" hehehehehe

Old 11-05-2008, 06:37 PM
l.ray
Road Warrior

WE are so spoiled! I love my music too, but what will we want next? ( Is it cool to get a blow job while riding? An listen to my music?) Get a limo harley, then you can do all things. GOM! L.ray

Old 11-05-2008, 09:45 PM
HD Jake
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I also live in So Cal and I wear mine all the time also, I really enjoy the music.
I dont crank it so loud that I cant hear what is going on around me, mostly as background and to keep the wind noise out.
I just did a search on google for noise canceling headphones and bought some for $8.00, great buy...
My wife also ride with her Ipod but only uses 1 ear bud only

Old 11-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Medicfrost
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a $80 fine for riding with ear buds. A good song was on, so it was definitely worth it.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:00 AM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I listen to my iPhone/iPod sometimes. At night I do the most and if I'm going to be cruising interstate I'll listen to music.

Quick Reply: Riding with earbuds and music...