General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Darwin Award

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 10:46 AM
doghair
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Darwin Award

How fast do you need to go to have this happen?

I regret the loss of another motorcyclist but come on ...

http://www.azcentral.com/12news/news...e03-on-CP.html

A deadly collision early Monday between a motorcycle and a truck shut down a portion of Interstate 17 near downtown Phoenix.
Southbound I-17 was closed at the junction with Interstate 10 following the accident, which the Arizona Department of Public Safety said occurred at just after 3:30 a.m.
DPS spokesman Lt. James Warriner says a motorcycle traveling at a high rate of speed slammed into the rear of a semi and burst into flames. The unidentified motorcyclist was dead at the scene. Warriner says the truck driver was shaken but not injured.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Yeah I read about this yesterday. I can only imagine how fast the guy was going, not for the fatality, but to have the bike essentially blow up. You notice (for once), the media didn't make a comment on whether he was wearing a helmet?

Old 11-04-2008, 11:15 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,258 Likes on 4,784 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Cryptoboy
You notice (for once), the media didn't make a comment on whether he was wearing a helmet?
I've been trying without much success to find some accident stat's for people that suffer head trauma/death resulting from head trauma in Cage accidents. I'm sure the # is fairly high but I never seem to hear anybody pushing for helmets in Cages. Just Sayin.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:19 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Asa yougun,I had my share of accidents in auto and cars,I could never figure why they didn't make car drivers wear helmets as it seemed I always got hurt worse in a car crash,than a bike crash without a helmet.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
I never seem to hear anybody pushing for helmets in Cages.
Don't give them any ideas, the nanny state is coming Jan 20th.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:08 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

3 a.m.? Prolly a little alcohol involved. I'm just sayin'.... Those two, (drinkin' and ridin') DO NOT MIX!!! If you run into the back of a Semi at a high rate of speed, I'm guessing you ain't payin' too close attention to what's going on in front of you... Sorry to hear about the loss, but let's face it, this sport is dangerous, and it requires all your skills and attention to pull it off safely... My prayers and sincere condolences to the family for their loss.....

Old 11-04-2008, 03:20 PM
gfd_703
Intermediate

ABATE of TN tried to explain to our Representatives that helmets cause neck and spine injuries,block our vision and hearing. They said tough wear it.

Now get this, it is illegal to wear a helmet in a car because it blocks your hearing and vision.

The same people made both laws, go figure.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:28 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,258 Likes on 4,784 Posts

Originally Posted by gfd_703
ABATE of TN tried to explain to our Representatives that helmets cause neck and spine injuries,block our vision and hearing. They said tough wear it.

Now get this, it is illegal to wear a helmet in a car because it blocks your hearing and vision.

The same people made both laws, go figure.
Makes perfect sense to me. But then so does "Not tonight dear, I have a headache" .

Old 11-04-2008, 03:37 PM
cchips
Ultimate HDF Member
Unhappy Late Night Accident

We had a 20 year old killed the night before last at 1:30 in the morning. He was trying to pass a SUV and ran into an oncoming car, then was hit by the SUV. It said that he was wearing a helmet, but it was sitting on the ground and looked undamaged. Probably alcohol involved with this one as well. I feel for the family that was left behind.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:24 PM
doghair
Road Warrior

I hate to see the avoidable ones come up. We already have enough going against us.

Quick Reply: Darwin Award