General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding on the freeway...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 09:43 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Riding on the freeway...

I was just reading AI and an article about how many bikers dislike riding on the highway. I have spent much of my riding time on the freeways back and forth with the job I used to work and find it to be one of the safest palces to ride due to the separation of the traffic and the fact that everyone is going in the same direction. I find it to be on eof the safest places to ride although it is far from my favorite. Of the 4 accidents I have been in, none have been on the freeway(highway). This even takes into consideration the incredilbe amount of time I have spent splitting lanes. I find the msot dangerous thing on the freeway is splitting lanes and cars not seeing me and wanting to change lanes. Amazinly enough I have never had a problem (knock on wood) with this. It is only when I am on streets where there are cars turning right, left and coming in and out of driveways, shopping centers and parking structures that problems arise.

Of my 4 wrecks, 3 of them happened in intersections, 1 with someone turning left in front of me, and 2 with people changing lanes so they could make a right at the corner. The other was my fault for traveling at a high rate of speed on a twisty canyon road that I did not know very well. How do you feel about riding on the highway, and the streets?

Old 11-04-2008, 09:47 AM
2008FLHP
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

i've always found the highway is the safest place to ride, but i don't ride the middle lane...70 miles to work one way...anyone have a 6spd they want to sell cheap?

Last edited by 2008FLHP; 11-04-2008 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:48 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I like it for a change of pace at times.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:54 AM
Deepsouth251
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree the interstates are the safest to ride bikes. I guess most people don't like the lack of scenery. I ride alot on the interstate hwys and prefer them when traveling long distances. I have noticed a lot of new riders especially women riders are intimidated by the interstate for whatever reason. I think the wind from big trucks bothers them.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:55 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We don't live in a big city so the freeway stuff doesn't apply to us. However, I equate it to riding on the interstate. For me whether I ride the interstate depends on the stretch of road and whether I'm just cruising or trying to make time. There's a stretch of I-10 in Texas that is a pretty nice ride but for the most part, we take the back roads.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:59 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

So Fla is dangerous no matter where you ride or what road you ride on.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:04 AM
tima
Elite HDF Member

The freeway just doesn't have the character. No twisties, can't pull off for a quick whiz in the bushes. I love the freeway when I need to get someplace quickly but give me a back road anyday for the sheer pleasure of riding. City riding, that's a whole new ball game, get your defensive game on.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:06 AM
l.ray
Road Warrior

Lane splitters, and brain splitters. I wont ride with you! I dont want to shovel a friend off the high-way L.ray

Old 11-04-2008, 10:12 AM
cchips
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love to ride the interstates. I have ridden in Dallas and Houston on the freeways, and no problem, but San Antonio with all the construction is a nightmare. I do like the back roads as well. All of my close calls have been on regular city streets when people pull out of parking lots, going through intersections etc... On another thread someone said something about having that feeling that someone is about to pull out in front of you, boy I get that feeling alot.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:12 AM
scootertramp
Road Captain

I'm fortunate that my 110 mile daily commute consists of twisty two lane mountain roads, a conventional hwy and then some freeway. I gotta say that sometimes the freeway is really fun when you're traveling 80+mph and setting yourself up to pass cars smoothly & quickly. I used to really enjoy splitting traffic when I was younger but not so much now that I'm a little older. Just don't have the reactions like I used to so it's a litttle more stressful. Luckily I leave home at 0400 and head home around 1430 so I don't have to deal with the traffic too much. Unless I come into work later...

Quick Reply: Riding on the freeway...