General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding on the freeway...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 10:14 AM
joe.1955
Stellar HDF Member
Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

For the most part, freeways are straight boring rides - good for getting somewhere quickly.

I prefer to ride the back roads, slower but more interesting with the scenery, twisties and usually less traffic. Around town I use the freeways, but avoid them when out of the city.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:26 AM
HarleyGirl76
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still trying to decide if I like them or not. I sometimes ride the 405 in so. cal. to work. To keep with traffic when it's moving on the way in is 80-90 mph. I take the HOV lane just because not as many people are changing lanes. On the way home, I usually hit some rush hour standing-still traffic. Riding between the lanes is legal and gets you home a lot earlier, but I usually find another biker to draft.

I like that you can open up the speed, and on the right day its a fun ride.

Lisa

Old 11-04-2008, 10:27 AM
EZ48
Extreme HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 2 Posts

I much prefer the less traveled routes but feel reasonably safe on the freeways. Problem around here is you get people tailgating @ 80mph while yapping on their cellphones.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:28 AM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 540 Likes on 240 Posts

I really dislike riding on the freeway. Yes it is safer and the fastest way to get from point a to point b but....it isn't really "riding" (IMHO). Riding is leaning it over, dragging the pegs, or floorboards as the case may be, accelerating, braking, etc. I don't find going in a straight line at 60 mph or faster surrounded by a bunch of cages to be much fun. On the morning of September 8th, I took off on the bike. Told my wife I'd call her each evening to let her know I was OK and where I was (I didn't have any planned route). I was gone for four days and over 1800 miles. I did one stretch of Freeway from LaGrande, Oregon to The Dalles, Oregon (170 miles). The rest of the trip was on two lane roads through Washington, Idaho and Oregon. Saw some beautiful country and got to RIDE on some spectacular roads.

Attached Thumbnails Riding on the freeway...-resized_day3-011.jpg  
Old 11-04-2008, 10:42 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No freeways around me, just county roads. don't have to make a choice for at least 150 miles in any direction.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Pebbles
Cruiser

I've only been on a freeway 3 times since I've gotten my bike. That 6th gear has only been used 3 times.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:04 AM
notfried
Outstanding HDF Member

i don't care too much for the interstate...i ride 110 miles to/from work on nice,twisty county roads and love it

Old 11-04-2008, 11:05 AM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the interstates...they suck most of the traffic off the backroads we like to ride. Actually, the interstates aren't all that bad. I usually just cruise along at the speed limit...which, of course, means everyone and their brother passes us...but, that also means we kinda have the road to ourselves. My preference IS the sweeping biways and backroads tho...not real fond of tight, technical twisties...love to lose myself in thought and the wind while cruisin open/empty country highways.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:16 AM
sealbeachbum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by l.ray
Lane splitters, and brain splitters. I wont ride with you! I dont want to shovel a friend off the high-way L.ray
You'd cange your mind if you lived in the Los Angeles area. You either split lanes or you just sit still in traffic and don't go anywhere.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:50 AM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

freeway advantages:
- can go faster for longer
- can get to destination quicker
- only have to watch cars next to you, cars coming up behind you, cars merging, trucks throwing up junk. nothing with oncoming traffic, left turners, etc.
- usually the road is in better shape.
- wider shoulders, more time to see deer, etc.
- can use cruise control

disadvantages:
- boring (except for using speed). too straight, flat.
- cross winds can be bad.
- trucks throwing off wind and such can be shakey.
- limited off/on, although also an advantage, can be bad if you run into congestion.

i much prefer side roads, country roads and such. enjoy riding thru small towns. seeing the country. getting a feel for it, if you will.

will take expressway only if time dictates.

Quick Reply: Riding on the freeway...