General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet communication?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 08:49 AM
lowline
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are using the Cardo Scala 2 they work great from bike to bike or when she is riding with me. Our batteries have been lasting about 9 hours. They also have a FM radio built in.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:57 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Mike
Talldogs check out this website and it will give you a pretty comprehensive rundown on the Cellular Line (Blueant in the US) http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...h-intercom.htm Jumpin' Judy and I have been using this unit for over a year now with real good results. Main thing we like is it NOT being voice activated. We don't constantly chatter with each other so prefer not to have a system where every extemporaneous sound causes mic keying. Any questions and I'll do my best to help.
Thanks again guys! Mad Mike, thanks for the link to that review, I think that's the one I'm going with. At first, I thought I wanted VOX, but after reading the review, I guess I don't need it. I really like the way that either rider can initiate communication by pressing that big button. I do have one question though, I'm not sure if we're going to go with a full face helmet or a 3/4 helmet. Do you think
the Blue Ant would work ok with a 3/4 helmet because of added wind noise, or should I just go with a full face?

Thanks

Old 11-03-2008, 09:49 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Any of these systems or others work with a half helmet?

Old 11-03-2008, 10:07 AM
Mad Mike
Road Master

Originally Posted by TalldogsFatBob
Thanks again guys! Mad Mike, thanks for the link to that review, I think that's the one I'm going with. At first, I thought I wanted VOX, but after reading the review, I guess I don't need it. I really like the way that either rider can initiate communication by pressing that big button. I do have one question though, I'm not sure if we're going to go with a full face helmet or a 3/4 helmet. Do you think
the Blue Ant would work ok with a 3/4 helmet because of added wind noise, or should I just go with a full face?

Thanks
Talldogs; we are both using 3/4's I have a Schubert J-1 and Jumpin' Judy has an Arai. To be honest, if you're not using a windscreen it can be tough when you're on the highway travelling at normal speed. This is exactly the reason we went away from voice-activated as the wind was constantly keying the mic and I just never could adjust the sensitivity right. Now we don't have that problem anymore. It's one of the drawbacks of any of these systems as far as I'm concerned, you've got to be travelling at a speed where you don't have a lot of wind noise or make sure you are behind a screen. I don't know how much a system helmet would improve things. Nice thing with this system, I'm using a Zumo 550 on trips and it's great with the Bluetooth to not be attached with wires (mp3 works well too) I don't use a phone but could. Headsets are cheap with this system so you can afford to have several helmets kitted out. You just change the dongle over to the other helmet. I've been getting about 7 hours out of a charge but we don't talk a lot either. I have a charger I can use of the bike so not a problem anyway. Hope this helps - I don't find using the button to be a problem at all and as long as you're talking the mic remains open. Good luck

Old 11-03-2008, 11:05 AM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lowline
We are using the Cardo Scala 2 they work great from bike to bike or when she is riding with me. Our batteries have been lasting about 9 hours. They also have a FM radio built in.

Scala Rider Q2 here and they work fine,

Tons of battery time even if the unit is not on standby,

Old 11-03-2008, 11:32 AM
lowline
Cruiser

I beleive this is a review done prior to the Scala Cardo 2 system. http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...h-intercom.htm I read that awhile back and actually talked with the Interphone rep out of Canada. He advised I buy the Scala 2 due too the better performance of the 2. JMO