General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

law enforcement helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 10:13 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by MATUCHI
I know that sounds weird but in Oakland California; after a motorcycle officer was hit by a car, the PD motorcycles were fitted with non-DOT exhaust systems so they would be louder. And I'm not making that up.
DOT does not regulate exhaust systems, the EPA does.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:27 PM
JKK
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I scraped the Ford oval off the grille of my Taurus, guess its not a Ford now...

Old 11-03-2008, 12:27 AM
Kagan
Tourer

Originally Posted by Big Pig
Seer is what the majority now use AND if you look at then you will see that they are not carrying the DOT Approved sticker....LOL and that they do not meet DOT standards and that came straight from a buddy of mine that is a mc cop has been for years and wears a Seer.

I have been riding with a SEER for over 20 years. I'm on my third and my wife loves hers. We use the cushioned, not strapped interior.

Not DOT? Um, sure, whatever.

They are expensive as hell but offer so much more than a novelty helmet. They breathe, they come with a rear neck support strap (Never tried one? No more feeling like you have a parachute strapped to your head) and they come with adjustable padding so that it fits like a glove. Sure, people will tease you for looking like a cop but at the end of the day, it's all about choice. I choose SEER.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:11 AM
RexBuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Seer helmet and love it. Just looked at it and it has a very visible DOT sticker on the back.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:14 AM
brooklynflhrc
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

OK thank´s at all , ,I go to Seer , but witch the dieference :adjustable headbad suspension , vs , cushion pad interior, vs , brushed nylon interior ?
They are 3 choices so witch one are you using ? what,s your feeling about ?
I´m loocking the SL 1608 tcv model, but they are lot of models , ,on my other bike ,I run integral full face , but I apreciate all answers about this new style ,
Thank´s so much, merci beaucoup.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:24 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My SEER that I bought two months ago, has the DOT sticker on it. And it is DOT certified.
Someone doesnt like SEER on here and is spreading incorrect information.
You can guess who that is.

(my buddies uncles brothers freind has one...)

Old 11-03-2008, 01:16 PM
Kagan
Tourer

I always use the cushion pad interior.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Big Pig
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rocknrod
My SEER that I bought two months ago, has the DOT sticker on it. And it is DOT certified.
Someone doesnt like SEER on here and is spreading incorrect information.
You can guess who that is.

(my buddies uncles brothers freind has one...)

A) And just WHO is that person? I said clearly that the majority of all agencies now use Seer. They haven't used Bell in years. Plus Seer is one of if not the best helmet on the market probably.

B) The MC Cops here including the local police and the state police Seer Helmets do NOT have DOT Stickers, fact.

c) The information is 1st Hand.

d) And it's not from my "buddies, uncles, brothers friend" it is from the HEAD of the local MC Cops of a Large Police Department who happens to be a very close personal friend, and from the same large Police Dept from which I RETIRED as a cop. And I have seen the helmets many, many times "up close, and personal". Matter of fact the Officers had their names painted on the backs where the DOT sticker is mandated since there is not one there.

f) In my state the very lack of a DOT Sticker automatically is a helmet violation and exactly why several folks have gotten out of charges when the fact that the police helmets lacked the sticker was brought up. My cop buddy wears a Non-DOT helmet when he rides his personal bike because of this very reason.

f) I could care less either way both in helmet brand, DOT or not and in what YOU think.....and BTW I wear Simpson......

Last edited by Big Pig; 11-03-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:20 PM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

no requirement for a DOT sticker to be left on a helmet after purchase.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:29 PM
Big Pig
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by huffhuff
no requirement for a DOT sticker to be left on a helmet after purchase.

It's no longer a approved DOT helmet if the do.

S5.6 Labeling.

S5.6.1 Each helmet shall be labeled permanently and legibly, in a manner such that the label(s) can be read easily without removing padding or any other permanent part, with the following:

(a) Manufacturer's name or identification.

(b) Precise model designation.

(c) Size.

(d) Month and year of manufacture. This may be spelled out (for example, June 1988), or expressed in numerals (for example, 6/88).

(e) The symbol DOT, constituting the manufacturer's certification that the helmet conforms to the applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards. This symbol shall appear on the outer surface, in a color that contrasts with the background, in letters at least \3/8\ inch (1 cm) high, centered laterally with the horizontal centerline of the symbol located a minimum of 1\1/8\ inches (2.9 cm) and a maximum of 1\3/ 8\ inches (3.5 cm) from the bottom edge of the posterior portion of the helmet.

(f) Instructions to the purchaser as follows:

(1) ``Shell and liner constructed of (identify type(s) of materials).

(2) ``Helmet can be seriously damaged by some common substances without damage being visible to the user. Apply only the following: (Recommended cleaning agents, paints, adhesives, etc., as appropriate).

(3) ``Make no modifications. Fasten helmet securely. If helmet experiences a severe blow, return it to the manufacturer for inspection, or destroy it and replace it.''

(4) Any additional relevant safety information should be applied at the time of purchase by means of an attached tag, brochure, or other suitable means.

Quick Reply: law enforcement helmet?