General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alcan HWY

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 04:36 AM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Alcan HWY

Recently I deviated off to absorbing any and all things I could about the Alcan hwy and motorcycles. While the ride would end up being 4500 miles one way for me its sure seems like the ultimate adventure. I haven't notice to many of us keyboard commando's, including me having undertaken quite a journey as I have read the Alcan experience can be once out of the mainland USA.

Having perused a number of personal stories about the 2 wheeled journey, from Ohio to Anchorage and various other combinations it sounds like one heck of a road trip!! Grizzily Bears, Moose, Caribou. Long stretches of nothingness civilization wise but eye fulls of God's creation.

Wonder what one would do out in the middle of nowhere and the bike blows a stator? And some of the folks who have taken the trip are of retirement age which means I have a chance. I would like to consider it before I retire, I don't know if I could get that much time off work. Have to ask and see if its possible. I get 5 weeks vacation but I don't think we can use more then 3 weeks at a time. A trip like that would be the cats ***.

http://fairbanks-alaska.com/alaska-trip-diary.htm

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/rid...ska/index.html

http://www.niia.net/~leduc_mike/\\

Anyone here been on the Alcan Hwy?

Old 11-01-2008, 07:09 AM
oljim49
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Haven't been on it yet but hoping to leave next year on June 5th and if all goes well, back on July 4th (ish). Also in the planning stages and fortunate enough to have some friends that made the trip in 2002 to draw from their experiences. Been waiting for a bud that I've ridden the lower 48 with to retire and that happens soon so we're hoping to give it a go. I guess if we have a breakdown we'll rely on Road America or AAA to get us to where we need to go to get fixed but ain't gonna let that concern keep me from going. I don't want to be saying at some point that "I wish I had".....ya know?

We're planning to cross into Canada close to Glazier and ride the Highway from Dawson Creek to Fairbanks and then possibly loop down to Anchorage and then back to Tok......that is subject to change but that's what we're thinking at this point. From what I've heard and read (including the first link in your thread) those are pretty decent stretches of road (all things considered) with services pretty easily available. I've been checking out heated gloves and socks though as I know the weather can be pretty iffy ! I agree with you that it should be one hell of a ride and I'm looking forward to it. I will be following this thread with great interest and hope to pick up more info from folks that have made the trip. Hope it works out for you to go man!

Old 11-01-2008, 07:19 AM
JKK
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive read or heard a large portion of it is still large gravel, is that true?

My Dunlops dont like gravel, sounds like a ride for a euro-duro type bike BMW maybe?

Id pay good money to do a trip like that but Ive also heard about clouds of mosquitos tha'll choke a caribou at certain times of the summer? Better use a K&N washable air filter!

Old 11-01-2008, 08:33 AM
shy1
Cruiser

My wife and I drove up the Alcan in August 2007 from the S.F. Bay Area to Anchorage. Decided to leave the bike home and to take a car. Drove about 7,500 miles and took about three weeks. Ran into a number of bikes up there, including some Harleys, but lots of BMW GSs. Many sections of gravel, but well-packed. Expect lots of rain showers during the summer. A beautiful trip that you'll never forget. Get a hold of Miller's Outpost and plan ahead. H-D dealers are few and far between.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:00 AM
jbnl163
Outstanding HDF Member

It would seem to me that carrying a firearm might be a necessity for the chance of wildlife encounters. How can you get a weapon through Canada?

Old 11-01-2008, 09:06 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A few things I'd want to carry for this trip.... satellite cell phone, BIG gun for bears and a GPS so I know exactly where I am.

Sounds like an awesome trip though!

Old 11-01-2008, 11:58 AM
northern64
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 29 Posts

I rode the sporty from skagway to dawson this summer, for the most part the road was frikin sweet, very smooth without to many pot holes, there was a couple of spots with deep gravel that snuck up on me but all and all its a very good road (from skagway to dawson). I brought my cell phone which didnt work, i saw a lot of animals and had to ride way to close to heard of buffalo which was quite humbling. My biggest problem was the price gouging and the lack of 24 hr. gas stations! Met some real nice people though and had a great time, cant wait to do it again but not on a sporty!

Old 11-01-2008, 12:53 PM
lowline
Cruiser

Originally Posted by shy1
My wife and I drove up the Alcan in August 2007 from the S.F. Bay Area to Anchorage. Decided to leave the bike home and to take a car. Drove about 7,500 miles and took about three weeks. Ran into a number of bikes up there, including some Harleys, but lots of BMW GSs. Many sections of gravel, but well-packed. Expect lots of rain showers during the summer. A beautiful trip that you'll never forget. Get a hold of Miller's Outpost and plan ahead. H-D dealers are few and far between.
Could you elaborate on the gravel road sections? Are these on the Canadian portion of the Hwy or Alaskan or both... My wife and I are planning to go to Alaska from Colorado this next summer. We will be doing the trip alone with just one bike. What are your thoughts...How far between fuel locations? And taking a gun across Canada is out they do not allow you to do so. Are there camp grounds or motels along the Canadian portion?

Old 11-01-2008, 04:04 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

It's on my bucket list, but I'm waiting to do it with my sons. .

Old 11-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Tnicean
Tourer

It's been a while back now, but in 1993 I took my two kids, daughter 11 and son 8 from Richmond, VA to the Artic Circle on the pipeline road north or Fairbanks. I drove a 1991 jeep pulling a pop-up camper. The Alcan Highway was in pretty good shape. There are spots of constructions each year I am sure and there are frost heaves in the road. We traveled a total of 14,700 miles in 48 days. We met a lot of nice people. I was doing laundry at a campground run by a band of Indians and the lady running the office asked me if I had ever had a moose steak. I told her no and she came back a few minutes later with a chunk of meat that must have weighed 10 pounds. I took it back to camp and cut it into steaks that we cooked on the campsite grill. It was great. I still remember the little girl's name who made friends with me daughter. It was Ashley
Goodswimmer. Anyway, my goal is to retire in 3 years and make the trip with my wife on our bikes.
Tnicean

Quick Reply: Alcan HWY