General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alcan HWY

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 02:59 PM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sealbeachbum
I'll be with some friends until Canada then solo from there.
I havent forgotten , if I can get the whole month off , I'll see you in Montana ..

Still working on it on this end

Old 11-02-2008, 03:12 PM
sealbeachbum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BaggerDriver
I havent forgotten , if I can get the whole month off , I'll see you in Montana ..

Still working on it on this end
OK. I'd definitely enjoy the company!

Old 11-02-2008, 04:11 PM
ezover
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some friends just did that trip over the summer. 3 rear tires and 21 strait days of riding in the rain hehe. ouch.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:12 PM
HDRider78154
Tourer

Sounds like a great ride. There is no way I can get that much time off and I have at least 20 years until retirement. I guess that gives me a long time to learn and plan.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:33 PM
felpro52
Intermediate

My wife and I rode up from So Cal in 2000. We were on a Goldwing pulling a trailer. Lots of rain and we were told it was the wettest summer in about 20 years. More mud than gravel sometimes about 8" deep where they had put out fresh dirt on the highway then it rained. No tire problems and everyone on the highway was nice and helpful. Saw lots of Harleys including a married couple both on baggers, she rode the highway no problem.
A couple of times we saw a bear walking down the highway but nothing dangerous. I would go again in a heartbeat.

David

Old 11-02-2008, 05:43 PM
SlimShady
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I always wanted to do the Alcan trip........don't think I'd do it on my bike though. Planning on loading my jeep up with camping gear and going in 2010, gonna take about 2 months and visit and wheel in Alaska while I'm up there.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:20 PM
AK97fxdwg
Outstanding HDF Member

I've done 3 and a half-round trips on the Alcan on my bike, (plus at least 4 more in a car), the last one got me home to Eagle River, AK late this past summer. This half-trip was from Phoenix to Eagle River, about 4,450 miles and I did it in 7 too-quick days.

Other than construction, there are no gravel sections to the highway at all. There are other things to worry about such as frost heaves and buffalo, and forget the gun, it'll only get you in trouble trying to get it into Canada.

Plan ahead and you'll have one of the greatest adventures of your life. Avoid Edmonton like the plague and take as many of the smaller hiways as possible.

Last edited by AK97fxdwg; 11-02-2008 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:30 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ezover
some friends just did that trip over the summer. 3 rear tires and 21 strait days of riding in the rain hehe. ouch.
Why the need for 3 rear tires. Did you have some cuts, blowouts, or what happened? How did you get them replaced in the middle of nowhere. THis is one of my concerns. And I live in Montana.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:19 PM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Campingout
Well, it happened to me. I was heading to Alaska on the AlCan and noticed that the starter was getting slower, and the headlight was dimmer. And it was way out in the middle of nowhere. It was during the day, so I unplugged the headlight. Then took off. Had to leave the motor running if I stopped anywhere, cause starter wouldn't start the bike.

Made it to the next campground, and luckily they had a vacant campsite with power, I rented for the night. I carried a small trickle charger with me that I brought for just such an event. So I plugged the battery in to the trickle charger and charged it overnight. Got up the next day and drove the remaining couple hundred miles to Anchorage.

Had a new stator put in at HD in Anchorage.

You can go quite a ways on just the battery if you unplug the headlight.

I did not really want to camp on the trip, but carried tent and bag just in case I had to, so they came in handy.

I also carried a rifle for wildlife protection. You could at that time. Had to declare it at the borders. I would not want to camp without a rifle.
Sounds you handled that like a pro! Thanks for sharing that experience. Doing so makes me realize the importance of bringing some type of battery charger, the smaller the better. Too bad ya can't carry rifles any more, I have just the perfect one, Marlin 1895 45/70 Guide gun. Only 37 inches long with a round that should stop a grizzly. Not in any hurry to have a confrontation with one, just worst case scenario planning.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firear...bore/1895G.asp

Old 11-02-2008, 11:24 PM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BaggerDriver
Two of us went to Ak in 78 from Norfolk Va , on baggers of course , we took the entire month of August off .. At that time the Alcan was not paved all the way .. Very slow going at times ..

I have been told , or read somewhere , it is paved all the way now , true or not , I cant say ..

4700 or so for me each way , take nearly a week just to get there .. Two possiblities of me going in 09 , doubt either will werk out ..

Definetly my bucket list to do again ..
I am on a mission to go. Depending what happens with regards to a transfer I recently applied for. If I get it I can't think of going for at least 3 years. If I don't get it, I can go in 2 years. I figure it'll take me at least a year to save the necessary vaca time and money needed. And while doing that I will read everything I can about the experience. I figure to hope to have my daughter,husband and grandson following us in a truck in case.

It will be a 4500 miles one way and 9000 mile round trip. Was the week you mentioned just to get to the Alcan hwy or to cross it and get to Anchorage and back from Va?

And how did the bagger handle it? Any special tires? Did you cover headlite with a cage screen?

Last edited by badinfluence63; 11-03-2008 at 12:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Alcan HWY