General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scammer on Craigslist

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 12:06 PM
Treek
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shimmon
Youre too late... I already sent my payment in cash to the guy at his base address.... Suckers, should have been quicker than i!!! Muuhhaaaaa
Dang it, I knew I should have sent in my payment faster ;-)

On another note... If ur pretending to be someone in the military, trying to dupe someone in the military, it's probably not going to work. There are tell tale signs...

Old 10-31-2008, 12:10 PM
palehorse
Advanced

umm, just an FYI... the Air Force Office of Special Investigations (AFOSI) is not a "made up title." They generally handle all felony crimes and counterintelligence issues for the USAF; as well as a few other "things." They also do travel everywhere in the world, depending on their cases or assignments.

That said, it does strike me as VERY odd that he would mention that in the email... even adding his supposed detachment number.

weird.

I'll see what I can find out when I get back to my office on Monday...

Last edited by palehorse; 10-31-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:22 PM
firefighter3666
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think one of our active duty members needs to forward this to their appropriate chain of command. Assuming this scammer is located stateside, I wonder if impersonating a military officer carries some federal charges?

Old 10-31-2008, 12:31 PM
palehorse
Advanced

Originally Posted by firefighter3666
I think one of our active duty members needs to forward this to their appropriate chain of command. Assuming this scammer is located stateside, I wonder if impersonating a military officer carries some federal charges?
It would probably carry federal charges if he specifically claimed to be a "Special Agent" in the AFOSI -- that's essentially Impersonating a Federal Law Enforcement Officer. I'm not sure if the same is true if you just claim to be an officer in the military...

After all, I have a single friend who has never even been in the service who tells women that he's an Apache pilot in the Army every time we go out! (and it works! ) LOL...

Old 10-31-2008, 12:36 PM
Slaps
Road Master

Originally Posted by palehorse
It would probably carry federal charges if he specifically claimed to be a "Special Agent" in the AFOSI -- that's essentially Impersonating a Federal Law Enforcement Officer. I'm not sure if the same is true if you just claim to be an officer in the military...

After all, I have a single friend who has never even been in the service who tells women that he's an Apache pilot in the Army every time we go out! (and it works! ) LOL...
I once pretended to be a Nav to get into the officer bar on base in Qatar. Only place you could drink as much as you wanted. Me and the Eng used to go down there. Everyone used to assume we were pilots anyways. If you tell a person you fly they only think pilot...

Old 10-31-2008, 12:47 PM
Harley43147
Tourer

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:56 PM
xmarine
Road Master

Originally Posted by shimmon
Youre too late... I already sent my payment in cash to the guy at his base address.... Suckers, should have been quicker than i!!! Muuhhaaaaa
That's what you think! I just offered him $10,000 sight unseen!
WHAT A DEAL.
He who laughs 1st, laughs..........whats the rest of it?
I can't remember, but I did email him with a 10K offer!
LMAO BWAHAHAHA
xmarine

Old 10-31-2008, 01:01 PM
xmarine
Road Master

Quick somebody bump the offer to 11K!
What an azzclown
xmarine

Old 10-31-2008, 01:20 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Google the sellers email address. Scammers ad's come up all over the U.S. Scam ads usually remove the Craigslist email and inser their own. Replies are always computer generated, they will never use your name or answer your first reply first person. If you ask where the bike is located, it's alway somewhere else and they'll ship it to you. These ads, unfortunately, are common.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:49 PM
Treek
Cruiser

Originally Posted by palehorse
umm, just an FYI... the Air Force Office of Special Investigations (AFOSI) is not a "made up title." They generally handle all felony crimes and counterintelligence issues for the USAF; as well as a few other "things." They also do travel everywhere in the world, depending on their cases or assignments.

That said, it does strike me as VERY odd that he would mention that in the email... even adding his supposed detachment number.

weird.

I'll see what I can find out when I get back to my office on Monday...

I wasn't saying that the title 'Special Investigator' was made up. I know they are real, I have worked with them out at Andrews AFB. What I was saying was made up is him actually being a Special Investigator.

And, the detachment number is correct for Grand Forks.

Quick Reply: Scammer on Craigslist