General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dangerously worn out rear tire

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 11:57 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 05Hog
Tell him not to worry...when Obama is elected he will take from those us us with good tires and give him a new one.

Love it!!!

Old 10-31-2008, 12:28 AM
utexasrider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cut the tire and leave a note that he will get some money for a new tire if he leaves the old tire under a pillow. tell him to thank the tire fairy.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:32 AM
girlster8015
Cruiser

Just buy him a new tire, never mind lend him the money.....unless he has a really big insurance policy......LOL

Old 10-31-2008, 06:58 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Heck when I was young my tires regularly showed the cords before changing them out,because of funds.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:01 AM
loudguy_w_louderpipe
Cruiser

I say just go out & put a screw or nail in the tire.
Make sure it is long enough to go thru the steel belt.
Then when he goes to take it out he will have to replace the tire.
anyone can pick up a nail riding on the road.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:41 AM
onemotochica
Advanced

Since he turned down your offer to pay for the tire...stick it! Put the required cash on the seat with a note saying "Happy B-day, or Merry Xmas" Have a trailer lined up.

Give the boy a hug and mention that you care about him. Bonding moment...goose bumps & happy tears!! Woo Hoo!! "Go Family!!"

Old 10-31-2008, 09:50 AM
iceman336
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WildBill_50
If he were my son I would walk out there stick the tire and then tell him "you just got around to it" and walk away.

As someone else commented eventually he will mature and even thank you for it one day. The main thing is that you may have prevented him and/or some by-stander from getting hurt or killed.
BIG +1 on that!!! What's he gonna do, tell his mommie you were mean? His mother probably has the same concerns and will tell him to grow up and start acting responsibly!

Last edited by iceman336; 10-31-2008 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:01 AM
grape ape
Tourer

Well, I don’t want to leave you all hanging. Got home last night and the bike still had the old tire on it! HOWEVER, he had taken his rear muffler off and the bike jack was sitting out. So there was an attempt to make some progress, but apparently the jack was not working properly. Good grief. Part of the problem is that he’s trying to get this done as cheaply as possible. To me it’s just not worth saving a few bucks, but obviously he doesn’t agree. I pitched a fit to his father and told him to give his kid a hand in getting this done because this has gone on way too long. Yes, I played the “guilt” card and asked him how he would feel if something were to happen because dad’s being a hard ***, saying that his son should be grown up enough to handle this by himself. That may be true, but in this situation, I think it’s secondary. So he made him promise not to ride it anymore until after the tire is replaced, which they’re planning on doing together on Saturday. In fact, he left the rear muffler off, so he can’t just hop on it and go. After all the responses yesterday, I was determined to put a nail in it if the tire was still on, but I wimped out on that. The thought occurred to me that my bike is living in the same garage as his and I don’t want to invite any retaliation. Since I’m not his “real” mother, he doesn’t take kindly to me getting in his business, which is why I kind of had to do everything through his dad. So thanks everyone. You all got me to light a fire under hubby that needed lighting!

Old 10-31-2008, 12:21 PM
outlaw0013
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since he's driven you crazy by not replacing it now it's your turn. Stash his muffler away on him til tire is replaced.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:37 PM
Harley43147
Tourer

Dad, you need to do something. You'll never forgive yourself if anything happens.
Just put a hole in the tire and don't tell him you did it until he grows up.
Good luck!

Quick Reply: Dangerously worn out rear tire