General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Billy Lane's DUI?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 11:32 PM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only difference between that and murder is that you used a vehicle instead of a gun to kill some one. Unfortuniately, the penialty between the two are very different.
That is not true. It's reckless. It's irresponsible. And if found guilty, he should do a lengthy prison sentence. But, it's not murder.

Murder requires aforethought or malice. As disgusting as this incident is, it is the alleged negligence that killed someone. Unless he intentionally ran this person over, it is not murder.

What he would be charged with is vehicular homicide or manslaughter. Even though he could have been drunk or on drugs while driving and ultimately killing this person, it was not intentional. Therefore, it is not murder.

Get prepared, folks. You may be disappointed. This happens everyday across the country. As ridiculous as it sounds, many times it's plead down to endangerment resulting in some jail time, and fines. Civilly, the vicitm's family will probably recover damages. But criminally, if convicted of the more serious offense and he has no criminal history, he'll probably be sentenced to up to three years in prison.

It is inadequate? Indeed. But that's what typical sentences are for this type of crime.

Last edited by AZ Rider; 10-30-2008 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:41 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by AZ Rider
That is not true. It's reckless. It's irresponsible. But, it's not murder.

Murder requires aforethought or malice. As disgusting as this incident is, it is the alleged negligence that killed someone. Unless he intentionally ran this person over, it is not murder.

What he would be charged with is vehicular homicide or manslaughter. Even though he could have been drunk or on drugs while driving and ultimately killing this person, it was not intentional. Therefore, it is not murder.
It may not technically be murder and certainly not legally, but as someone that has lost a child to a drunk driver I can tell you the pain is no less. Billy knew better, he's not a child, he and only he is responsible for his action, wether intentional or not. He intentionally put the alcohol in his body and drove. He deserves the same fate as a murderer.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:48 PM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior

It may not technically be murder and certainly not legally, but as someone that has lost a child to a drunk driver I can tell you the pain is no less. Billy knew better, he's not a child, he and only he is responsible for his action, wether intentional or not.
I don't disagree but I was clarifying that murder and vehicular homicide or vehicular manslaughter have different definitions under state statutes.

Last edited by AZ Rider; 10-31-2008 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:58 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I personally know a man that in the early 90's (in Centeral Texas) while DUI hit a car head on and killed TWO young men. His penatly six, THAT IS 6 months in jail and a couple years of probation! Go figure.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:01 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member

I personally know a man that in the early 90's (in Centeral Texas) while DUI hit a car head on and killed TWO young men. His penatly six, THAT IS 6 months in jail and a couple years of probation! Go figure.
Hell, at 90 yrs. old they probably thought they were giving him a life sentence.......

Shakey

Old 10-31-2008, 06:26 AM
RomeoKilo
Cruiser

He's 2 days older than salt water already so yeah...that's pretty much the end of the line for the ole bastard.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:32 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I am certainly not defended Billy Lane,but a lot of people do not use their heads when out at night on our roads.Wearing dark clothing,on dangerous parts of a road and in the traveled way is just asking for tragedy.I drive all hours of the day and night for a public utility and have had a couple of very close calls.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:37 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

more and more people are getting busted for it.it seem's like it hasn't slowed down a bit.they need to do something more and what they are doing.and i dont care if you are well known or joe smuck you get busted for it. they should throw your tail in jail and take every car or bike that you have. so you cant go ahead and drive. alot of people do that to that they need to drop the hammer on that crap to.5 will get you 10 that he get's off.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:48 AM
kickstart pan
Road Master

It's a good thing we have a judicial system that hears ALL the fact before rendering a decision.
I hope no one ever has to face similar circumstances

Old 10-31-2008, 07:57 AM
shadowrunner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel sorry for family, crossing double yellow lines to pass while drunk tells me no respect
for others to, but I can't stand seeing ppl sueing everybody and there dog for anything
they can get, explain to me why DaimlerChrsler should sued??? Another example of to
many lawyers looking for work.

Quick Reply: Billy Lane's DUI?