General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is the best racing platform to start with?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 09:57 PM
100inchhammer
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, pick the type of racing your gonna do and the venue your gonna race at. Is it gonna be bracket racing at your local drag strip, AHDRA, AMRA, etc... I race both local raceways and AMRA. I recommend AMRA if you want to compete and have a blast doing it. The competition is more evenly suited to what you'll be running. The competition at the local raceways is sick, unless your gonna cut .520 lights and better consistantly and run your dial within 1/100 of a sec your not gonna win. And that's at little tracks, go to bigger tracks and the comp is insane.

The other thing I like better about the AMRA is, it's 7 races compared to 20 at your local raceway. Your basically gonna give up your weekend to race almost every weekend, the payoffs are weak and the time between passes is long. You'll be racing with Jr Dragsters and all the cars, their money is made on the cars. AMRA is all bikes and fast ones, TF running low 6's at 225+mph. You'll also be able to race multiple classes in the AMRA or AHDRA, so you will be doin a lot of racin compared to your local raceway.

I do both but don't run points anymore at my local raceway, I actually try and make the gambler races and pass on the reg events. Spending the whole day for 5 passes at best gets old. I found the cost to do either works out the same, a little more traveling with the AMRA but its 7 races and payout is 3x's that of local raceways. Also the AMRA classes will consist of cruisers just like the one you want, night and day difference.

Then if you want to run between the 7 races, go to your local raceway and run the gamblers race, its usually on T&T days, so if you get eliminated you can still T&T all night. Reg races, you get 2 time trials at best, your guaranteed 1 pass before elims. Then however many elim rounds you make. I left many a day with only 2 or 3 passes after being there from 10am-9pm. Sure watching is great but it gets old too. At an AMRA race you'll qualify on Sat, in every class with 2 passes/class and on Sun you'll run elims. You'll be busy both days racing. And do they know how to party, live bands on Sat night and as much entertainment as you like.

Last edited by 100inchhammer; 01-10-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:16 PM
IlDuce
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

well im interested in ET type racing.. want to put something together to have fun with.. Local track, also something that is still streetable. basicly a race when i want type thing, not where i HAVE TO be there and race. know what im saying?

Old 01-11-2009, 03:17 AM
Tripped1
Tourer

V-Rod is as close as you are going to get to a drag bike with a Harley badge. Get one get good and turbo kits are $5000 if you can handle that. Still, for half the money a Hayabusa stock will out run a V-Rod given equal riders and a stock busa stock motor and a stretched swing arm(good rider) is flirting with 8 seconds and trapping in the high 140s.

Hell I ran a 9.76 with a **** 60' at 137 on a buddy's 'busa, and I was there to race my Camaro. Good stuff but if I'm going to race bikes it'll be road course. That's as much fun as you can have with your clothes on.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:18 AM
Tripped1
Tourer

Originally Posted by IlDuce
well im interested in ET type racing.. want to put something together to have fun with.. Local track, also something that is still streetable. basicly a race when i want type thing, not where i HAVE TO be there and race. know what im saying?
You never HAVE to show up, not unless you are sponsored. Most operating strips have "tune days" where the track is open and the tree is on where you can practice. Actual races have different sanctioning bodies and rules accordingly.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:17 AM
100inchhammer
Intermediate

That's cool, definitely more relaxing and fun if your not commiting to points racing, that also leaves it open to go to any track you like. If its gonna be a HD platform, then the V-Rod is gonna be a good choice, relatively stock with a good rider you can see 11's. But none of that matters if your just gonna bracket race, the only advantage a fast bike has over a slow bike is the fast bike gets the win in the event you both red light, providing you don't burn the tree down.

If it were me, I would pick the bike that you like the best and set it up for racing. A TC88 or 96 isn't gonna get you in the 11's without some big money but it doesn't mean you can't win. You always have the option of spraying the bike, thats cheap HP. Now there you can have a 11 sec softtail or other cruiser for $700-$800 on top of the bike cost.

The best HD platform to start from will be a V-Rod, you have 100+HP at the wheel, a long chassis that is stable, easily lowered with lots of racing goodies designed for the bike. Without to much work you can have a Rod in the 10's.

Stay away from tracks that allow delay boxes on bikes, unless your gonna run one.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:24 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

The best is whatever fits your budget,without going full blown drag bike,run what you brung and get a feel for what really floats your boat.Rub elbows with other racers,a plan will come together.Good Luck

Old 01-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just from reading the posts, and your responses, here's my .02.

Look round for a mid 90's, FXST. First, put the wide tire kit on it. Do any shock mods, etc, at that time. There are some dandy softail shocks out there. Cuz you are gonna want it BOTH ways. FIRM but rideable.

Next, order yourself an Ultima 140" with the 6 spd. (You don't have to go 140, they make others.) You can buy as a complete set up, matched, with clutch package and all.. Find an indy who can order it for ya, save ya 1000, 1500 possibly. Jus' scroll down and click.

http://www.ultimaproducts.com/engine.htm

IMO, one of the BEST performance packages for the buck, 'round.
Also, I haven't asked lately, (2 or 3 months), but they were retooling to build the 'new' motors. The 'old' ones (good hardware) were really discounted. But not sure of their availability anymore.

I cannot speak to their 'longetivity' ON THE TRACK. But there are a few running 'round up here, that have MANY, MANY rounds on 'em.
Lord knows, there are some NICE big inch motors out there, BUT most are way outta my league. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

You don't have to, but I'd tweek the neck out, put just a bit of leg in front (remember, I'm 6'6") but keep it low. Nice set of chrome lower legs on it with some GOOD valving inside, can you say "Rocket Eater"?
You can keep the "Harley" look, it is still a 'pump gasser', easily licensed and insured (? ).
Plus, if you want it 'blacked out' start with a Night Train.

We had an 01 Ultra with a 124" Zipper built and Baker 6 spd. Caught and passed many a 'kid' who thought the ol' greybeard had 'lost his marbles', at the light. IT was fun til Momma would start beating me severely about the head and shoulders.

BUT, that's what I'd do, by your posts. Me(56), I'll do another bagger when the $$ is right. Speed AND Comfort. Your results may vary.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:57 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

V-Rod

Old 01-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Lucky Scott
Cruiser

Another place to race is the Summit ET series. They have a class just for bikes and race about 8 to 10 times a year. yeah, they do a points deal, but if you are not interested dont worry about it.
Lots of fun, lots of real nice people, and almost any track that is a NHRA track has the series going. Not sure about IHRA tracks, but they may have something like it too.
NHRA.com has a track locater section. Find a track near you, get on their website, and see when they are racing.
You will have a ball.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:14 PM
IlDuce
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks for the replies

Quick Reply: what is the best racing platform to start with?