General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up in TN for non-DOT helmet

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 06:10 PM
rgraves62002
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that sucks...I just rode through there twice going from Indy to New Orleans...I got lucky I guess....then again his wife may have just left him with some guy on a harley...lol

Old 10-29-2008, 06:10 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So you were knowingly wearing a "novelty" helmet in a state the you knew required a hemet. You got caught by the police and he gave you a ticket for doing something you werent supposed to be doing. I dont think you have any room to bitch.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:11 PM
GeorgeH
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2Sore
Believe me guys, it's not the helmet..it's the Harley. I got stopped a couple of years ago on the Natchez Trace with the same scenario. Coming at me, flipped around and pulled me over cause he thought my helmet wasn't Dot approved. Well, it turns out that he was a BMW rider so he asked me how I liked the HD. I told him it was a POS and he shouldn't own one. Well, long story short, he wasn't sure if the helmet was approved or not cause it didn't have a sticker on it. I told him that I took the sticker off cause it didn't look cool on a HD. He wished the state would give them a class to tell the difference. So I got out of the ticket with some BS after 45 minutes. It's a Tenn. tax on HD riders!!!!

I never heard of this tax, I must be one of the lucky few who must be exempt from this tax because I have, at one time or another, had all of the law enforcement either behind me or was going past them.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:16 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, helment laws are about collecting $$$$$, not about safety!!! As the old saying goes, "follow the money"!

Old 10-29-2008, 06:18 PM
GeorgeH
Advanced

Originally Posted by amike
See...you got to understand that all that authority comes with the 12.50/hr he makes and also helps to inflate the ego even more.
I dont know where you are from but the troopers around here make a pretty good living.

Must be the comission from all those tickets they write.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:38 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Good grief! The lolly-boys are out in full force commentin' on this one. Glad to know there are so many of y'all makin' sure those who hanker after a little freedom know we're idjits.

Dude posted this as a warning. He didn't really gripe about gettin' the ticket except to note the method the cop used.

Helmet laws are about money. Money is sacred to insurance companies, governments, and lapdogs. If the powers were concerned about safety they'd be hammerin' the cagers who down bikers. If the powers were concerned about safety they'd be puttin' money into educating cagers. If the powers were concerned about safety they'd be puttin' money into motorcycle safety classes. If the powers were concerned about safety they'd be hammerin' the idiot riders. Instead, the powers are shifting money away from education, and moving back into the Claybrook "Dragon Lady" mode of "Ve know vhat iss best for you."

Stick the self-righteous crap where the sun don't shine, jump on your scoot, take a ride, and try to remember the freedom you seem bent on giving up.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:51 PM
jrspringer06
Tourer

Guess I wont be riden through Tn. since I dont even own a helmet

Old 10-29-2008, 06:56 PM
HawgMan_renamed
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the warning brother and ride safe.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:59 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

you're from Springfield, eh?

Old 10-29-2008, 07:15 PM
96 Ultra
Cruiser

OP, grow up man... You knew the law before you entered the state, the officer was doing his job by enforcing what the law makers of this state made. Now before you go off on some rant on me, I don't agree with the helmet law either and I ride with a fake lid sometimes too, but I know the law and if I get caught, so be it.

You really should quit whining, its unbecoming. I think you are just mad because the cop was smarter than you gave him credit for and now your throwing a tantrum like a kid.

Now if barney fife would have confiscated your wheels just because of your lid... now this would have been something to complain about.

One more thing... You expect us to believe that you were really doing exactly 55 the whole time you were traveling thru our state ??

Quick Reply: Picked up in TN for non-DOT helmet